advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Chromebook... any that you like?
Posted by: jardster
Date: September 08, 2016 12:35PM
Now that my son is in high school, much of his work is done through google classroom and assignments are to be turned in online. I was thinking that 13 inch chromebook might be good for homework-- rather than sitting in our "study" with the iMac (too many distractions in that room). A quick search on Amazon shows lots of brands, with different sizes of RAM and SSDs.

For this sort of use, do any of you have brands and specs that you would look for?

Thanks

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Chromebook... any that you like?
Posted by: gabester
Date: September 08, 2016 12:59PM
I like the Chromebooks with greater screen resolution than 1366x768... I've got two of the Toshibas with the IPS screens (the 2014 and 2015 version). I've heard good things about the Dell Chromebooks, and I'm really curious about the new high end HP that has a 3800x1880 screen.

Get the fastest CPU and most RAM you can stomach on them for the money, or use Google Remote Desktop to access a cheap real PC desktop to do that CPU-intensive heavy lifting.

Alternately, realize that putting your Chromebook into Developer mode and using Crouton to put in place a Linux chroot may also provide you with a much more capable device, especially at most Chromebook price points. But this is where extra RAM and more powerful CPU (as well as ability to expand storage) REALLy come in handy. Linux isn't as storage hungry as OS X or Windows, but depending on your task it'll still be happier with more than 16GB that is the stock amount on most Chromebooks for internal storage.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: September 08, 2016 01:56PM
I've had a Samsung and now have an Acer. The Acer is much sturdier and has a better screen. They both had too little RAM (2GB) and as a result could be crash-prone with a lot of tabs open. I'd go for a 4GB version if I were buying another one.
Posted by: bwicklander
Date: September 08, 2016 07:04PM
I have 2 Acer Chromebooks. Great little machines!
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 09, 2016 12:23AM
Go to Best Buy to compare.

I think there are a lot of good options.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 108
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018