advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Can I drop off old Macs at an Apple Store for recycling?
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 17, 2016 08:16AM
It looks like I can just drop off my old, and I mean old, Macs at my closest Apple Store for recycling.
Does anyone know if I need to make an appointment or anything?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Can I drop off old Macs at an Apple Store for recycling?
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: September 17, 2016 08:20AM
I expect they'd just look at you funny. Apple site has a deal set up for shipping of recycled machines, nothing about drop-offs at stores.

Unless you have something that fits this offer (linked to from Apple.com), I'd go to Goodwill instead.

[reuserecycle.poweron.com]
[www.apple.com]
Posted by: billb
Date: September 17, 2016 08:26AM
I bet someone in your local apple store knows.
They might even have a phone.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: September 17, 2016 08:51AM
brain fart

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Posted by: Don C
Date: September 17, 2016 09:26AM
Our Goodwill and like stores don't take electronics any more. One of our local stores has a huge pile of TV's in the parking lot (well, it is also a pile of huge TVs!) where the weather will certainly finish them off. I did not inspect the pile but there are probably old computers there too.

Louisville has a dropoff site for electronic recycling. It's a drive through building where you just put your electronic goods into one of several large cardboard boxes and drive off. I don't know what the city does with the stuff but, washing my hands of all responsibility, hard drives, broken radios and TVs are out of MY basement.

Other municipalities in the area charge for dropping off electronic gear. Might be $25 for a TV; I would have to look up the details.
Date: September 17, 2016 09:42AM
billb

Usually it is next to impossible to actually get someone to actually pick up the phone in the Apple store, and they were not open when I posted, but thanks, Captain Obvious. grinning smiley

The Apple Renew program lets you recycle your device at an Apple Store or online.1

I looked online and it seems to say I can drop off at the Apple Store but they weren't really clear on it.

I will try to call now, but not holding my breath that I get a human.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2016 09:45AM by rgG.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 17, 2016 09:43AM
you could check craigslist to see if someone is holding an e waste day -- free to drop-off and whatever organization thats doing it gets the $$.

Our city garbage will do a special pickup if you email them, free 2 X, a year. They actually have an app that works great.

The local city dump will take it, but $10 a car load.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: September 17, 2016 09:52AM
rgG
billb

Usually it is next to impossible to actually get someone to actually pick up the phone in the Apple store, and they were not open when I posted, but thanks, Captain Obvious. grinning smiley

The Apple Renew program lets you recycle your device at an Apple Store or online.1

I looked online and it seems to say I can drop off at the Apple Store but they weren't really clear on it.

I will try to call now, but not holding my breath that I get a human.

popcorn smiley

anxiously awaiting results of today's quest

local laws constrain recycling last I knew.
You really do have to call local to find out local.

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Date: September 17, 2016 09:53AM
Looks like Best Buy will take them, up to three per day, so I should be able to make it in two or three trips, since they may count the keyboards and the scanner as an item.

Hey Bill, still on hold for the Apple Store. See why that wasn't my first choice?

Edit: Still on hold...

Edit 2: Gave up, as they never picked up and I couldn't hold any longer. Guess I will go to Worst Buy, at least they spell out their policy online.
I think Apple would have wanted me to ship it to their recycler, but that is a pain when I can just drive them over to the Worst Buy instead.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2016 10:04AM by rgG.
Date: September 17, 2016 10:05AM
There's not going to be anyone at the Applestore today.
Georgia is out of gas.

duh.

[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 17, 2016 12:16PM
Have you considered posting a list of what you have? Some of us here might take them off your hands for cost of shipping & handling and all that.

Are we talking 80s old, or 90s old?

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: vision63
Date: September 17, 2016 12:59PM
I took my old LC and 13" monitor and literally put it on Apple's lawn in Cupertino. This was before they had a recycling program.
Posted by: p8712
Date: September 17, 2016 01:40PM
What macs? Some of us like vintage stuff.
Posted by: wave rider
Date: September 17, 2016 01:43PM
News segment last night about how easy it is to harvest passwords and account numbers from old computers and phones. They recommended specialize software to really wipe the drive clean. Or drill through the HDD platters or a sledge hammer massage.

Take care..

=wr=
Date: September 17, 2016 01:44PM
Zoidberg
Have you considered posting a list of what you have? Some of us here might take them off your hands for cost of shipping & handling and all that.

Are we talking 80s old, or 90s old?

90's old. The Performa 6400 was a true road Apple. No one should want that.
The 6200 CD was a good little machine but not worth the cost of shipping.
The other two are fruity iMacs that no longer work for one reason or another.
I finally got all the hard drives pulled, drilled and hammered, so they can go in the trash.
I will be schlepping the two perfornas and an ancient scanner to BB later today.
I might leave the iMacs for our moving sale, in case someone wants to take them for the cases for a Macquarium or something. I have one shell, from a third fruity iMac, already empty, but not sure if I am going to take it with me or not.

Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 17, 2016 01:58PM
There are days when I'd like to get something running 8.6 so I can play a few old games, specifically, but that would tie into finding a CH Joystick with ADB connection.

My first Mac was a PowerBook 160, which saw hell before I acquired it. Next up was a PowerMac 7100/66; I was king of the world with that thing.

I also had a Performa 6360 that was the bomb back when I had it. And I mean that in a good way. smiling smiley That's the one during the 8.6 era, as I recall; played X-WING and TIE FIGHTER all the livelong day whenever I had the chance.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: September 17, 2016 03:07PM
Staples brick and mortar stores offer free recycling of electronics including desktop computers and displays.

The limit is 7 items per day. They can refuse items that could pose a safety risk such as items with damaged batteries or broken glass in CRTs.

I was not aware that Best Buy also accepted electronics for recycling.
Date: September 17, 2016 03:09PM
TheTominator
Staples brick and mortar stores offer free recycling of electronics including desktop computers and displays.

The limit is 7 items per day. They can refuse items that could pose a safety risk such as items with damaged batteries or broken glass in CRTs.

Thanks for that. There is a Staples right next to the Worst Buy.

Edit: Thank you so much. I called and they said no problem and they would even help me unload if I needed it. They also take monitors, which BB charges $25 to take. I would much rather go to Staples than BB, as I really don't like BB.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2016 03:15PM by rgG.
Date: September 17, 2016 03:38PM
rgG
TheTominator

Edit: Thank you so much. I called and they said no problem and they would even help me unload if I needed it. They also take monitors, which BB charges $25 to take. I would much rather go to Staples than BB, as I really don't like BB.

Well, there's also Circuit City and CompUSA. Remember Incredible Universe? I used to go the one in Gwinnett Co.
Date: September 17, 2016 03:43PM
vision63
rgG
TheTominator

Well, there's also Circuit City and CompUSA. Remember Incredible Universe? I used to go the one in Gwinnett Co.

Lol. At least one of the Macs I am recycling was a floor model at the CC over by NorthPoint Mall. I think the other one came from the Buckhead CC. I do not remember the Incredible Universe.

Posted by: p8712
Date: September 17, 2016 03:54PM

The Performa 6400 was a true road Apple. No one should want that.

I've always wanted one of those. Oh well.
Posted by: hal
Date: September 17, 2016 04:49PM
Pretty sure Incredible Universe was very localized in the west - the one in sacramento became a Frys Electronics.
Date: September 17, 2016 05:01PM
hal
Pretty sure Incredible Universe was very localized in the west - the one in sacramento became a Frys Electronics.

I lived in Atlanta during that stretch. I didn't even know they had them in the West. I liked 'em. They had cool trucks too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2016 05:02PM by vision63.
Date: September 17, 2016 06:24PM
Just got back from the Staples and it could not have been easier. Just got a buggy, put the two old perfornas, a scanner, two ADB keyboards, couple of mice and a bunch of cables and cords into the buggy, wheeled it in the front door, around the corner, said thank you to the guy at the register and was on my way.

I gave Staples a nice shout out on Twitter. They will be getting some more stuff, now that I know how easy it is. smiling smiley

Unfortunately, after I got home, I found an old Intel 17" flat panel iMac hiding in the basement and not I have to remove its HD before I take it in, ugh. The flat panels are more work than the fruity ones. BooHoo

Thanks so much Tominator, for pointing me in the right direction.

Date: September 17, 2016 08:25PM
Glad to be of assistance.

I wish that I'd discovered Staple's free recycling before I took a large load to the county landfill and had to pay dearly for each item to be recycled.
Date: September 17, 2016 09:46PM
TheTominator

I wish that I'd discovered Staple's free recycling before I took a large load to the county landfill and had to pay dearly for each item to be recycled.

Yeah, I hear you. Staples actually will take monitors, for free. BB and our local recycler charge for those. I have two I need to get rid of, if I can get them down the stairs and into the car. I am not sure that big old Sony, that went with the 6400 that had been a hand me down to my daughter from my MIL, will fit in the Staples buggy. I might have to carry that beast in by hand, or maybe I will take my small hand truck with me, so I can wheel it in. grinning smiley

Date: September 18, 2016 07:28AM
TheTominator

There are scrappers recovering the precious metals from pcbs now and are supposedly buying them in bulk. The gold fingers on ram modules are supposedly especially coveted.

State/utilities has re-instituted the refrigerator/freezer/dehumidifier buy-back program and my old commercial grade freezer is worth 50 bucks.

[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 18, 2016 10:53AM
vision63

I'll pay $500 you for a Vine of today's paper at the entrance of an active chain store site branded with either of those names.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: September 18, 2016 11:42AM
rgG
Just got back from the Staples and it could not have been easier. Just got a buggy, put the two old perfornas, a scanner, two ADB keyboards, couple of mice and a bunch of cables and cords into the buggy, wheeled it in the front door, around the corner, said thank you to the guy at the register and was on my way.

I gave Staples a nice shout out on Twitter. They will be getting some more stuff, now that I know how easy it is. smiling smiley

Unfortunately, after I got home, I found an old Intel 17" flat panel iMac hiding in the basement and not I have to remove its HD before I take it in, ugh. The flat panels are more work than the fruity ones. BooHoo

Thanks so much Tominator, for pointing me in the right direction.

Excellent. But you know... I'm missing Atlanta. You called a shopping cart a buggy. I loved that when I lived there! <3
Date: September 18, 2016 12:23PM
vision63
Excellent. But you know... I'm missing Atlanta. You called a shopping cart a buggy. I loved that when I lived there! <3

My husband calls all carts, "trucks." I have no idea why, but he does. smiling smiley

Date: September 18, 2016 03:05PM
vision63
rgG

The odd flip side occurs when rgG talks about misbehaving computer code.
"This app keeps crashing every five minutes or so. It is very shopping cart. "

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2016 03:06PM by TheTominator.
Date: September 18, 2016 03:50PM
TheTominator
vision63
rgG

Or, as my husband would say, "It is trucked up." grinning smiley

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 19, 2016 08:37AM
....just remember to drop the mic [ mike ] afterwards....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2016 08:38AM by NewtonMP2100.
Date: September 19, 2016 10:33AM
rgG
TheTominator
vision63
rgG

Or, as my husband would say, "It is trucked up." grinning smiley

smiley-laughing001
Posted by: decay
Date: September 19, 2016 02:38PM
TheTominator

THIS.

---
Posted by: clay
Date: September 19, 2016 03:48PM
I've had good luck at my local Best Buy...they have taken whatever I've brought and not placed any limits on what/how much I can drop off. I think in some cases the limits are just there to protect themselves from people/businesses that use the free disposal as a way to get rid of a ton of stuff.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018