advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Your Rarest Mac?
Posted by: p8712
Date: September 17, 2016 05:27PM
What's your rarest/most collectable mac?

I just snagged an Outbound Notebook and am fixing it up. Pretty interesting little machine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2016 06:34PM by p8712.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Your Rarest Mac?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: September 17, 2016 05:30PM
I have a color classic with a mystic logic board upgrade.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 17, 2016 06:12PM
The Other Human has a Mac Portable taking up space in the closet. There is virtually no chance that the thing works.
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: September 17, 2016 06:18PM
I had a Mac Portable in the back of my closet until I finally tossed it last year.
Posted by: rgG
Date: September 17, 2016 06:28PM
Just tossed the oldest, the Performa 6200CD, but I still have two clamshells, which might qualify as collectible.

Where is PeterB when you need him? I think he had a clamshell collection.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: September 17, 2016 06:32PM
SE/30 old fogey smiley

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 17, 2016 06:36PM
I saw a G5 at the curb last week, looking like someone had taken a hammer to the back panel. There was a deep round dent about the size of a large plum that had bent back the connectors on the graphics card. I helped myself to the surprisingly undamaged side door, and pulled the 2 sticks of RAM. One of them is a 1GB stick. It is illegal to dump electronics that way in NYC. This was left in front of the empty lot that was supposed to be a construction site well over a year ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2016 06:37PM by ka jowct.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 17, 2016 06:39PM
Outbound ? Wow... That's a blast from the past. ROM from a Mac +, and that funky sliding roller thing instead of a mouse.
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: September 17, 2016 06:40PM
SE
old fogey smileyold fogey smiley
Posted by: vicrock
Date: September 17, 2016 06:40PM
I've got a powerbook duo on my shelf - still worked the last time I booted it up about 15 years ago
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: September 17, 2016 06:41PM
SE still have my first mac

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: September 17, 2016 06:48PM
there is a 1996 1400c in my garage, you remember those - interchangeable CD and Floppy module, user switchable RAM, , lots of proprietary connections, funky cover inserts, built like a tank

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: September 17, 2016 06:49PM
I had a Macintosh TV.

"The limited edition Mac TV had a bit of an identity crisis. It came in a black LC 520-style case. (It is one of only a few Macs to have ever been black.) It came with a cable-ready TV tuner card, and included a CD-ROM drive. Only 10,000 Mac TVs were made before it was discontinued."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2016 08:29PM by DeusxMac.
Posted by: lost in space
Date: September 17, 2016 06:58PM
Mac Portable? Now that was a stretch. Didn't they weigh like 20 pounds?

512K and a Mac Plus, both working. Sold my 128K.

Wish I still had the prototype Mac 128K with the Twiggy front bezel and Macintosh Man logo on the motherboard!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2016 07:00PM by lost in space.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 17, 2016 07:10PM
My name is Speedy and I'm a Macaholic.. An SE, a couple of PowerBook 3400's. A Dalmation iMac. An iLamp. A Cube (CDRW, not DVD). A TiBook 400. A 23" Cinema ADC display. All common, all functional. All eventually headed to the recycler. We can all meet at my house on Thursdays.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2016 07:23PM by Speedy.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 17, 2016 07:11PM
Set of Powerbooks, 140 through 180. Missing a PB100, though.
Posted by: DP
Date: September 17, 2016 07:17PM
There's a difference between old and rare. I have the Dell Mini9 running 10.6.7. Just used it the other day.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 17, 2016 07:19PM
I think I still have a Duo 180c and DuoDock somewhere.
Posted by: fmgtech
Date: September 17, 2016 07:19PM
Lisa
Color Classic
IIfx
Flower Power iMac
Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: September 17, 2016 07:39PM
Probably not very rare, but a 2003 MDD 1.25 ghz dually. Still works.
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: September 17, 2016 07:41PM
I still have the Mac II I started with when it was new.
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: September 17, 2016 08:05PM
OK I let you all post for a while before I played the trump card (s). ;)

OWC Larry and I have been amassing quite a collection of oddities over the years. A few of them from the museum;

An Assistive Technology Freestyle:
[www.everymac.com]

An Apple Pippin - brand new in the box!
[en.wikipedia.org]

The various older Apple II models of course, my personal favorite and my machine I bought the day it came out - A Woz IIGS serial number 501. Larry has 768...

A Newton 110. Oh sure, you say, "I have one of those in my drawer". Nope, not this one. A CLEAR one. Transparent... it was a developer gift back in the day. It's cool, trust me smiling smiley

A pair of Apple Network Server 700s. Nothing special here. Other than they ran the OWC website for a number of years back in the day. They're end tables in our entryway now smiling smiley OWC history, and pretty important ones at that.

My first laptop, my trusty PowerBook 140. First in a long line of PowerBooks I continuously upgraded to. 140, 170, 165c, 540c, 3400c, PowerBook G3/300 (hey, had I invested the $ I paid for that in Apple stock... Yes I just did the math. That machine was $5K. The Apple stock would be worth just under $1M. Hey, at least I still have the machine... The list goes on and on. Larry has his PowerBook 100 somewhere, and his Duo 230. Sentimental value beyond any physical value, each and every one of them.

Oh, and the centerpiece of my office, right under the 5 Cubes on a shelf - my 20th Anniversary Mac. Still working, still drawing attention whenever a guest sees it. Jason Snell, former editor of MacWorld Magazine was in our office a few years ago and saw it, couldn't believe I had one, and I had to run an extension cord to it and make it run so he could say he had seen one. Pretty cool smiling smiley I bought that one for $2K back the year after they were discontinued. Still holding it's value. smiling smiley

Last time I checked, we had about 5 pallets of history in the warehouse. It'll make an interesting museum one day.

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: Acer
Date: September 17, 2016 08:13PM
PowerBook 2400c was the rarest mac I owned, though I sold it long ago.
Posted by: sekker
Date: September 17, 2016 08:13PM
I have nothing like those posted here, but I did have an SE/30 in DAILY USE as a key server until a capacitor blew up on the Mobo about 8 years ago.
Posted by: bwicklander
Date: September 17, 2016 08:34PM
512k mac with 800k drives and 20meg HD... hey does any one have software for this thing???
Posted by: rz
Date: September 17, 2016 08:51PM
Never owned one that was considered rare. Oldest one I own now is a 2006 Macbook. First mac I owned was a Centris 660AV. I tend to not hold on to old Macs unless I have a need for them. The macbook is still used for a few things.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: September 17, 2016 09:29PM
bwicklander
512k mac with 800k drives and 20meg HD... hey does any one have software for this thing???

Well - if you trust the source...try this
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: September 17, 2016 10:29PM
Either my 6400 or my Cube.

Grateful11
Posted by: blooz
Date: September 17, 2016 10:37PM
Eh, I only have my original smurf and a mirror door dualie that someone gave me.

And i doubt that my 2005 white ibook qualifies for anything, tho as it is one of the ones that had the bad logic board and is still running, it may be rare enough. I only use it in my studio for photos I am drawing from and to play snood.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Z
Date: September 17, 2016 10:57PM
Have a 512ke tucked away with the boxes, cassettes, and hopefully a few functional floppies too.
Posted by: polychrome
Date: September 17, 2016 11:12PM
It's not rare but my oldest is a SE. The next oldest is a firewire clamshell.
Posted by: davec
Date: September 17, 2016 11:24PM
Hardly considered rare by most, I have a LCII with a 50mhz 68030 card which had 4 additional RAM slots allowing me to break the 10 MB barrier (26 MB of RAM in that baby!). I also still have a PowerBook 165 with 10MB of RAM. Both were working fine when they were packed away many years ago.

Dave

...on the trailing edge of technology.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 17, 2016 11:27PM
Recent downsizing here has meant that a lot of rare Mac computer stuff has gone by the wayside.
Fortunately our rarest Mac, an unopened bottle of 1968 Macallan Single-Malt Scotch from the Speyside remains intact.
As do the 1966 and 1967 bottles, that while slightly older, are evidently not as "rare"...
==
Date: September 18, 2016 06:50AM
Buzz
Recent downsizing here has meant that a lot of rare Mac computer stuff has gone by the wayside.
Fortunately our rarest Mac, an unopened bottle of 1968 Macallan Single-Malt Scotch from the Speyside remains intact.
As do the 1966 and 1967 bottles, that while slightly older, are evidently not as "rare"...
==

When's the tasting? Surely the Forum is invited...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: September 18, 2016 06:53AM
Not rare, but old:

- SE with 80MB GCC hard drive and, as I recall, a 20mHz accelerator, running System 6.0.8

- another SE running 6.0.4

- a IIfx, a IIci, an original blueberry MacBook . . . and my aging blue G3 desktop

All kept for sentiment, not for use.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Date: September 18, 2016 07:03AM
Maybe the rarest Mac is one that "just works"!

Posted by: billb
Date: September 18, 2016 07:19AM
and elusive

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Forrest
Date: September 18, 2016 09:13AM
PowerBook 520c I bought used in 1999. I was playing games on it last week. Except for the dead batteries,it works fine. Debating if I'll spend $60 to recell one of the batteries.
Posted by: BernDog
Date: September 18, 2016 09:29AM
Powerbook G5!
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: September 18, 2016 09:46AM
Rarest is probably the Cube, but I also have a 540c somewhere....

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: September 18, 2016 01:50PM
Q700. It must be the rarest, because nobody else has said they have one yet. smiley-laughing001

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: JoeBob
Date: September 18, 2016 06:25PM
I had a Quadra 840AV prototype at one point in past.
Red motherboard, stickers on it that said something to the effect of "Apple property, do not sell".
I had a Umax C600 clone that ran some of the time.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: September 19, 2016 08:28AM
The Cube is the 'rarest' I still have. My original Mac + finally turned itself into smoke after the second flyback transformer burnout. RIP.... The SE/30 that replaced it was maxed out with a Radius Pivot monitor, a Daystar accelerator board, the Pivot color board, and max RAM (I think 16MB ? ). Sold it to a co-worker. The Powerbook 180C was donated, as was that other Powerbooks (520, 5300c), so were the Performas and the iBook clamshells and the Black iBook (to that Hagrid looking dude that lived with us for a year). The only Mac that was actually scrapped was a PowerMac G3 that I picked up for $5 and stripped the RAM for another application. The basement still holds a blue iMac G3/DV and a Powermac G4 (Sawtooth), both running OSX.
Posted by: JPK
Date: September 19, 2016 10:17AM
I have a MAC TV, but I need to swap out the picture tube from another all-in-one to get it running again. The TAM is probably the most rare one though/

JPK
Posted by: Joey Cupcakes
Date: September 19, 2016 12:50PM
I've got an SE-35 in the closet with ethernet, juiced up CPU and 4MB of RAM! Needs an analog board, but perfectly serviceable- we used it in my old company in the mid '90s as a mail server.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 19, 2016 01:55PM
An SE-35? You win!!

Joey Cupcakes
I've got an SE-35 in the closet with ethernet, juiced up CPU and 4MB of RAM! Needs an analog board, but perfectly serviceable- we used it in my old company in the mid '90s as a mail server.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2016 01:56PM by Speedy.
Posted by: mrlynn
Date: September 19, 2016 02:47PM
Speedy
An SE-35? You win!!

Maybe this one?

[www.acresinternet.com]

/Mr Lynn
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: September 19, 2016 09:51PM
Rarest? Daystar Digital Genesis MP 720+ (PowerMac Clone) With 4x180Mhz PPC processors!

SE/30 With: 160MB HD, 128MB RAM, Daystar (full) 040 processor w/124cache, Radius Color Pivot Card & Monitor, SCSI Ethernet.

IIfx with 50Mhz 030 CPU/FPU (stolen from a Daystar upgrade card), 16MB RAM, Radius Thunder IV GX video card , 2 x RadiusRocket II with 32MB Ram each, Radius "Storm" PS accelerator card, 10/100 ethernet card.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 231
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018