advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Sierra NEVERada?!.....Apple releases macOS Sierra....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 20, 2016 11:59AM
....today.....

compatible with the following Macs:

2009 and Later
- iMac
- MacBook

2010 and Later
- MacBook Air
- MacBook Pro
- Mac mini
- Mac Pro

Apple Releases macOS Sierra With Siri, Apple Pay, Apple Watch Unlock, Universal Clipboard, and More

....Apple today released macOS Sierra to the public, making the latest Mac operating system available for free to all Mac users around the world. Apple seeded eight betas of macOS Sierra and multiple versions of the golden master before its official launch.

macOS Sierra can be downloaded directly from the Mac App Store, and Apple should begin offering it through the Software Update function shortly. It's compatible with the following Macs:

2009 and Later
- iMac
- MacBook

2010 and Later
- MacBook Air
- MacBook Pro
- Mac mini
- Mac Pro

macOS Sierra (10.12), which follows OS X Yosemite (10.10) and OS X El Capitan (10.11), features a new name that brings it in line with Apple's other operating systems, iOS, watchOS, and tvOS. The update focuses heavily on introducing new features to better integrate with the iPhone and Apple Watch and improve user experience.

macOS Sierra brings Siri to the Mac, allowing users to conduct voice searches to find files, look up information, and more, with the ability to pin searches to the Notification Center for continual monitoring. There are new Continuity features including an "Auto Unlock" option for unlocking a Mac with an Apple Watch, and a "Universal Clipboard" option for copying text on one Apple device and pasting it on another.

Better iCloud integration allows files stored on the desktop and in the Documents folder of a Mac to be accessible on all of a user's devices through iCloud Drive, and there are new deep learning algorithms in Photos for improved facial, object, and scene recognition that make searching for specific photos a whole lot easier.

A "Memories" feature in Photos displays collections of pictures and resurfaces old events, while Messages features rich links, bigger emoji, and Tapback response options.

Apple Pay is coming to the web in macOS Sierra, with payments authenticated through an iPhone or Apple Watch, and new features like multiple tabs, Picture in Picture multitasking, optimized storage, and revamped emoji are also available.

More information on macOS Sierra can be found in our macOS Sierra roundup, which includes details on all major features and a list of more minor changes. Our forum members are also discussing Sierra's new features in our macOS Sierra forum, and we encourage readers to join in with questions and new discoveries.

it is now out.............?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 12:19PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Sierra NEVERada?!.....Apple release macOS Sierra....
Posted by: Speedy
Date: September 20, 2016 12:10PM
I don't like the macOS name because it bodes ill for the future.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Re: Sierra NEVERada?!.....Apple release macOS Sierra....
Posted by: riley5108
Date: September 20, 2016 12:15PM
Just found it in the App Store under Updates area. When I have more time I'll probably download the installed, but doubt if I upgrade right away.

- Riley
Southern Indiana, B-Town
Re: Sierra NEVERada?!.....Apple releases macOS Sierra....
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 20, 2016 12:33PM
Installing ElCap on a user's computer right now. It's important to download OS X installers when they become available so you have them on your drive when they're needed.
Posted by: JoeM
Date: September 20, 2016 01:43PM
Lew Zealand
Installing ElCap on a user's computer right now. It's important to download OS X installers when they become available so you have them on your drive when they're needed.

Wow, just checked and El Cap has already been removed.

JoeM
Posted by: davester
Date: September 20, 2016 01:49PM
I'm still on Mavericks. While I'd like to move on to Photos, I just cannot stomach Jony Ives' ridiculous GUI.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: jardster
Date: September 20, 2016 02:19PM
10.11 was the first OS that I've totally skipped on all my machines. I'll probably update the home machine to 10.12 after another update, then consider my work machine.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: September 20, 2016 03:30PM
jardster
10.11 was the first OS that I've totally skipped on all my machines.

10.10 holds that honor for me, followed by 10.11. Jury's still out on 10.12.

It is what it is.
Posted by: hal
Date: September 20, 2016 03:36PM
I skipped 10.7 and 10.10
Posted by: rz
Date: September 20, 2016 05:02PM
I skipped 10.7, 10.8, and 10.10. When I bought my Mac Pro 5,1 a few months ago, they put 10.11 on it, which I played with very briefly. It's on Mavericks now. Oh, and I never got to play with 10.0. I did do a hack on my OS 9 machine that let me put the 10.1 "upgrade" on it directly from 9.1.
Posted by: GGD
Date: September 20, 2016 07:12PM
N-OS X-tasy!
jardster
10.11 was the first OS that I've totally skipped on all my machines.

10.10 holds that honor for me, followed by 10.11. Jury's still out on 10.12.

10.5, 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10, 10.11, and 10.12 are my list, but I've been planning and procrastinating about switching from 10.6 to 10.11, since its the last OS that many of my machines will run. I have been "purchasing" and downloading every version since 10.7 and have Flash Drive installers so I can test out any version that I desire.

I'm seeing the writing on the wall for 10.6. FireFox is dropping support so eventually there will be websites that no longer work.
Posted by: testcase
Date: September 20, 2016 09:44PM
I'll wait at least a month before risking my Late 2011, 17" MBP.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: September 21, 2016 10:38AM
GGD
I'm seeing the writing on the wall for 10.6. FireFox is dropping support so eventually there will be websites that no longer work.

Depending on how much RAM you have, you could experiment with Mavericks in a VM. I set one up on my Mac Pro's Snow Leopard drive, and it ran surprisingly well with several apps that I tried.

I have also tried running Yosemite in a VM on a Mavericks drive, and it is a slug, even with a big chunk of RAM assigned to it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2016 10:39AM by ka jowct.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: September 21, 2016 04:50PM
I skipped 10.8 and 10.10 on most machines. I have 2 machines which can only go to 10.7 so I stopped them there. I found 10.7.5's memory management to be better on 10.7 than 10.6 on these machines though I know that some other people have had the opposite experience.

Currently I'm running 10.11 on all but 1 machine that can run it and that 1 machine is never used for it's OS (it's just a number crunching mule). I was required to use 10.10 for the full year it was available on 1 machine and I *hated* it. 10.11 was a welcome relief.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 73
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018