advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Bikers: What do you recommend for lights?
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 22, 2016 09:52AM
I bike to work about once a week, and like to keep a flashing red light on the back of my backpack. It, however, has suffered a few too many drops and no longer stays on (or off) reliably so I am now looking for a replacement.

I have an old CatEye headlamp somewhere but don't use it, probably because I can't find it, or whatever mount if needs to go on the bike.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Bikers: What do you recommend for lights?
Posted by: Spiff
Date: September 22, 2016 10:10AM
[www.amazon.com]

This is what I use for a headlight. It's great - bright, has four different brightness settings and a strobe setting. Rechargeable through USB. Well worth the $$

I use any blinking light that I can find for the rear. This is currently what I am using.
[cyclecenter.com]
Posted by: Bixby
Date: September 22, 2016 10:35AM
Cygolight hotshot. It's bright!
Posted by: mattkime
Date: September 22, 2016 10:48AM
I like this guy for a rear light - [www.amazon.com]

front light, depends upon your needs. do you need light to be seen or to see? brighter does give you more protection.

lezyne makes nice stuff. so does knog.

most lights are pretty good. get what you like.

Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: September 22, 2016 11:04AM
You can get a light that attaches to your bike helmet - can't remember the brand. But it's on a moveable hinge so the light stays level.

Under the seat as well...

You can never have too many lights given how much cars ignore bikers in any given situation.
Posted by: billb
Date: September 22, 2016 11:34AM
I like the helmet lights if you're biking around parked cars - more chance of being seen.
recognized is something else so yeah the more lights the better sometimes

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: September 22, 2016 11:37AM
Around here, people who ride in the dark do so much stupid stuff that lights don't help much. I have a Cat's Eye set that I use if I don't get home in time, but there's not much traffic where I ride.
Posted by: Z
Date: September 22, 2016 12:17PM
FWIW, I read this last week and it would have some pertinence on the question at hand -

[thesweethome.com]
Posted by: davester
Date: September 22, 2016 12:26PM
I have this combo: [www.amazon.com] .

There are several great things about it:
1. Rechargeable using USB.
2. Headlight super bright and several selectable brightness levels
3. Taillight very bright plus it has a good flashing pattern, which includes a long pulse that helps drivers judge your distance and location (simple flashers tend to disorient drivers who then can't figure out exactly where you are).

A comment regarding folks recommending helmet lights. It's OK to have a helmet light IN ADDITION to bike mounted lights, but I have read a couple of studies that indicated that high mounted lights used in urban settings were less likely to get noticed because drivers confused them with other high mounted lights like traffic lights, buildings, lighted signs etc. Drivers tend to look low down to locate vehicle lighting.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: steve...
Date: September 22, 2016 12:52PM
I have this one on the seatpost: Portland Design Works Danger Zone Tail Light

Very bright with a fresh set of (2) AAA batteries.

Date: September 22, 2016 01:08PM
Thanks, I'll check out those options. I like to keep a light on my back in case I get off the bike people still see me, and I figure it's still high enough that cars can see it over short obstructions.
Posted by: Bosco
Date: September 22, 2016 01:27PM
What Davester said.

I use two NiteRider Lumina lights for mountain biking at night. One is mounted to my helmet and the other is on my handlebars. I use a tail light similar to Davester and Steve... also.

-
Posted by: Bo
Date: September 22, 2016 04:29PM
I have this one: [www.amazon.com] for mountain biking at night and it's fantastic!

1200 Lumens (this thing puts out a lot of light!
USB chargeable
Separate battery pack (6400mAh battery)
I believe it came with helmet mount, headlamp mount and bar mount
Comes with a red rear light too
$40
Posted by: IronMac
Date: September 22, 2016 07:26PM
Cygolite Hotshot USB rechargeable is fantastic, especially when it comes to the runtime!

I also have a DesignShine rear light which blows away any other light out there.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: September 22, 2016 07:32PM
I ride from 2500 to 3500 miles a year to stay fit. I think any of those mentioned above are great. USB rechargeable is what I'd recommend for a head, and at least 400 or so lumens...otherwise you might outride the light; this was the case with my first light which was about $30 and ran on AAs.

I've been using NiteRider (currrently the 700 model is on my ride) headlights the past several years. Happy with them. Buddy has a cygolite, I'd say it's every bit as good as my NR. For tails, I have two and they are Planet Bike "blinky" which means they're powerful strobes. One is a turbo flash or something like that. They run on AAAs. You can also find rechargeable usb tails.

I use my head on strobe during the day and solid at night. Strobe during the day has made a noticeable difference in drivers seeing me. I use my tails on strobe at all times. Also have a strobe rear helmet light. One can never be too careful! Ride safe, all.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 23, 2016 12:25AM
My preference is to have two headlights, preferably close to one another in the same plane, as we are binocular creatures and recognize two more easily than one.

One light coming at you at night makes judging the distance very difficult.
Date: September 23, 2016 11:27AM
Thanks again for all the tips.

I just took another look at my beleaguered taillight, and discovered it is an old Cygo-Lite 1720, 3 LED model. I got this way back in the mid 90's. I decided to take it apart and found a bunch of corrosion on one of the battery terminals. After cleaning that up the light seems to be working again! The Constant/Repeating switch does not seem to do anything (maybe some deoxit spray?), so for now it is just flashing all the time, but the power on/off switch is fine.

Still may look into a new front light, or a small one for my helmet.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 177
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015