advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
OK, so now I HAVE to buy a fridge and I am still confused
Posted by: rgG
Date: October 03, 2016 02:05PM
Practically every fridge I look at has some reviews that are along the line of "worst piece of junk ever."
I have looked at many different brands, and they all seem to be possible junk these days, sigh.
Well, we are supposed to move into the new place at the end of the month, fingers crossed nothing crops up at the last minute to stop the deal closing, and I HAVE to buy a fridge or live out of an ice chest. lol

All the other appliances in the new place are Kitchen Aid, and I would like to get the Kitchen Aid french door fridge, but it gets mixed reviews, like all the other brands.

Does anyone have a Kitchen Aid french door fridge that they can recommend, or any other brand that they are super happy with. I do not want the ice and water in the door, because I have heard they can be a source of trouble. I do like the french door style though. And I need SS because all the other appliances are SS.

Here is the one that would match the other appliances the best. This is the counter depth option. I think they make one that looks about the same that isn't counter depth and it seems to get better reviews. Is there some inherent problem with counter depth?

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: OK, so now I HAVE to buy a fridge and I am still confused
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 03, 2016 02:12PM
Don't believe everything you read on the internet? =)

[youtu.be]

Edit: I would just ignore them like Pam said, probably 10 to 1 good vs bad. NO ONE ever does good reviews. And exactly how do you do a "good" review on something like this? "plugged in, came on, keeps food cold..." and what else is there to say? Nothing, until it breaks. And then its the worst fridge ever. =)

Edit 2: kitchen aide isn't know for junk.

gets 4 stars here, $1799 + free shipping. 574 reviews: [www.abt.com]

I bought my last 2 appliances there.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2016 03:00PM by jdc.
Posted by: Pam
Date: October 03, 2016 02:14PM
I have an LG with ice/water and it hasn't given me a minutes trouble. Thing about reviews is that owners are more likely to post reviews when they have bad experiences. So I'd double the good reviews.

As for ice/water, more parts more potential for problems but none here. As for counter depth, the problem may lie in trying to get all the parts in a smaller space. Mine is not counter depth. But in my kitchen having it stick out is not a problem.

Just get the best return/replace/repair policy that you can. Pay attention to those details.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: October 03, 2016 02:28PM
Did you by any chance look at Frigidaires? We have a humble white top-freezer Frigidaire and it has been running since 2003 (knock on wood) and doing a great job with no end in site. We had to pull it out and clean the coils and fan once, but it was not a big deal, very easy to do. A quick glance at their web site indicates a nice selection of SS models.

Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 03, 2016 02:41PM
Like others said - on items like these people are far more apt to complain and post bad reviews than say all is great.

Also discount those people who said I've had a BRAND since 1750 and it is perfect, would never buy anything else.. Appliances have little in common even with those made 20 years ago. Today, be happy if you get a decade, and don't be surprised if it bellies up sooner. Manufacturers know you need a refrigerator (or oven, washer, etc) and will by another. So why make it last 25 years when they can cheap out, increase profits and sell them more often?

I've had good luck with Samsung and Whirlpool, and awful experiences with Maytag. Others will say just the opposite.

So read the reviews and look for patterns - is there one or two complaints that are recurring? Is it something to be concerned with? Educate yourself and do what you think is best. Then don't kick yourself if it turns out wrong. The deck is stacked against you, just roll the dice and good luck.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 03, 2016 03:37PM
Note also that there are a LOT of places that will happily sell you a used refrigerator. Sure, you'll need to clean it out with bleach, but you need to do that every year any way. And once you find a fridge you like and on sale, because appliances go on sale at least twice a year.. I believe the next one is February, but there may be Black Friday deals, you'll have a fridge to keep beer cold in the garage or the basement. (And if if gets real cold where you live, google refrigerator Garage Kit).

Good luck !
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: October 03, 2016 03:48PM
I have an LG that looks suspiciously like the one in your original post, rgG.

10 or so years old, whisper quiet, noticeably less power consumption over our previous. Did I say it was quiet? We can be sitting at the kitchen table eating or playing cards and the garage door opener makes more noise thru closed doors than the fridge sitting next to us.

I have heard that one or two major companies manufacture this style of fridge, then brands finish and trim them to be their own, like the auto companies do with car models.

Go for it, you'll like the fridge.

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 03, 2016 03:56PM
cbelt3
(And if if gets real cold where you live, google refrigerator Garage Kit).

Good luck !

Im gonna have to check that out. Lat year we got down to almost 30 degrees a few nights in a row. Damn near froze. OY. Actually had to put pants on. smiley-music039

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: October 03, 2016 03:56PM
What was said above, about everything gets some bad reviewes, and then read this:

[thesweethome.com]

If you want to spend days, then get an online subscription to Consumer reports, and read the buyer's comments there. And look at all the reviews on Best Buy, and Home Depot, and Amazon. That's what I did for our washer dryer and dishwasher. But in the end, all you can do is put the odds in your favor. The sweethome website gives you 805-90% of the value in about 1% of the time, so I usually go with them, these days. Maybe go to the library and see which brands have the lowest repair rate in Consumer Reports, too.....
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: October 03, 2016 04:13PM
We are redoing our kitchen.
We have settled on on Kitchen Aid Appliances, except for the Fridge.
The sales people we talked to seemed to indicate that Kitchen Aid hasn't kept up with the other Fridge manufactures.
We are going with an LG Fridge with water/ice in the door.

Steve
Posted by: DP
Date: October 03, 2016 04:19PM
As an aside, do you or have you got a surge protector for your fridge? I always find it a good idea, especially if you have to pull it away from the wall to access the plug. New fridges have mobo's and other delicate electronics which can get fried in storms or fried when the power comes back on.
I speak from experience...

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: October 03, 2016 04:24PM
We searched for a counter depth french door style and found one by Fisher & Paykell sold through Bray & Scarff. Turns out there is a Scratch & Dent warehouse near us and we got a great deal on it. Very happy.

The counter depth models are better IMO, because they allow you to see more easily all the contents of the fridge. With the deeper models you do get more cu. ft. but things tend to get buried.
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: October 03, 2016 05:04PM
DP
As an aside, do you or have you got a surge protector for your fridge? I always find it a good idea, especially if you have to pull it away from the wall to access the plug. New fridges have mobo's and other delicate electronics which can get fried in storms or fried when the power comes back on.
I speak from experience...

I’m going to have some electrical work done in the next few months, and I’ll have them put in a whole house surge suppressor.
Date: October 03, 2016 05:23PM
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I guess, as many have said, I will have to just pick something and hope for the best.

Our fridge that we have now is the old freezer on the top two door model and it works fine, but it is older, 2003, I think, and I did not want to pay to move it, as I wanted a new one anyway, but boy is it hard to decide which one.

I found a non counter depth model of the KA that might work out, but there is also a well reviewed and Consumer Reports recommended LG that might be good, too. I like the looks of the KA better, so that it matches the rest of the appliances, but the LG seems to have a better recommendation from Consumer Reports. It is a 2015 model, but it seems Home Depot still has some in stock, so that might also be a contender.

Date: October 03, 2016 05:39PM
anonymouse1
What was said above, about everything gets some bad reviewes, and then read this:

[thesweethome.com]

If you want to spend days, then get an online subscription to Consumer reports, and read the buyer's comments there. And look at all the reviews on Best Buy, and Home Depot, and Amazon. That's what I did for our washer dryer and dishwasher. But in the end, all you can do is put the odds in your favor. The sweethome website gives you 805-90% of the value in about 1% of the time, so I usually go with them, these days. Maybe go to the library and see which brands have the lowest repair rate in Consumer Reports, too.....

Thanks for that link. I will check out those models. I like that they give you just a few options. There are just too many choices out there.

Posted by: davester
Date: October 03, 2016 05:44PM
Be aware that comments like "I've had good luck with Brand A, but Brand B is terrible" are apt to be irrelevant. That's because there are only a few manufacturers, and they may make identical fridges sold under multiple brand names. Also, some brand names sell fridges made by multiple different manufacturers. Here's a guide to the current situation: [www.appliance411.com]

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: October 03, 2016 05:52PM
I love my LG French Door-Read this thread regarding a great retailer, RC Willey, and how to get money back if you do the extended warranty.

[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: billb
Date: October 03, 2016 05:53PM
Only cons I can think of with counter depth is shorter crisper drawers.
And maybe a bit less volume in the freezer from depth loss.

As stated above sometimes shorter depth shelves makes things easier to find.
I miss our old double door that had huge depth shelves on the doors. It was easy to find everything.

Good luck with a 1999 frigidaire and a 2 year old whirlpool

I'd buy the simplest made without any (extra complicated ) circuit boards even if it means not energy star listed. Fewer things to go wrong. I've never had to fix an ice maker but these filters are getting pricey and making ice using ice cube trays really isn't rocket science. If it were up to just me.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2016 05:54PM by billb.
Posted by: max
Date: October 03, 2016 09:27PM
I do have one like this, ten years plus,
with ice and water in the door, not a problem, with a busy house it is actually quite useful.....
Posted by: Michael
Date: October 04, 2016 12:03PM
billb
I'd buy the simplest made without any (extra complicated ) circuit boards even if it means not energy star listed. Fewer things to go wrong. I've never had to fix an ice maker but these filters are getting pricey and making ice using ice cube trays really isn't rocket science. If it were up to just me.

A month ago I went into the kitchen at midnight and there was a 100sq ft area of flooding and water coming out of the freezer. The ice maker was just running and running and running. Lucky I went into the kitchen that late.

I turned off the water to the fridge, mopped it up and starting making cubes by the ice tray. I imagine I need to replace the ice maker valve in the back of the refrig, but so far it's easier to make cubes than to mess with it. And as long as there are cubes, my dear wife doesn't complain about the ice maker not working.
Posted by: rexs
Date: October 04, 2016 12:34PM
A year ago I did some research for my on refers for my son.
Every place I looked seemed to use a dart board for their ratings. I could find no consensus at all.

I was talking with my refer repairman,. He said they all suck and are equally unreliable.
Too many expensive circuit boards,using cheap copper lines,
Just buy the one with the features style and color you like
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: October 04, 2016 06:12PM
A longtime appliance repairman said to get a solid extended warranty on any appliance that mixes water and electronics. That would be refrigerators, washers, and dishwashers. He said the odds of something going wrongs are much higher on those, and very costly to repair.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: October 05, 2016 08:45AM
Used appliance store nearby?

I would happily replace my 20 year old fridge with another of the same model (yes, it was one of the first models with the extra insulation.)

Note that picking SS for all your appliances will result in a kitchen that looks badly dated within a few years (mine varies black, white & SS)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 223
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018