Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Looking for suggestions on new storage system
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: October 08, 2016 05:02PM
A long time ago I got a MDD G4 used off Ebay, put a SATA RAID card in it and ran it as a home server for a number of years. It eventually died. Then I replaced it with a hackintosh. With drives being much larger, I forwent the RAID and just did a couple big HDDs, one being a Time Machine backup of another.

The storage is still good, but the latest OS I can easily run on that setup is 10.6. And as such, backing up from it is now getting difficult because many apps no longer support 10.6.

Here's how it works today:
- Two machines backup to the server using CCC
- The server also has an "archives" section which mirrors itself.
- Some of those archives and backups from other machines are backed up offsite using CrashPlan (free)
- My entire music library is on that machine, and backs up to Google Music. It's shared out to the rest of the house via iTunes

I thought about setting up another Hac, but don't really have the time. I'd get a Mac Mini and some enclosures, but I've never found them to be very reliable.

Any suggestions as to which route I should go next for backing up my data, including photos and music?

TIA

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Looking for suggestions on new storage system
Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 08, 2016 05:41PM
How much data?

Date: October 08, 2016 07:03PM
Good question. 4TB.

Posted by: jdc
Date: October 08, 2016 07:03PM
Wireless or wired network?

Since it doesn't sound like speed is a priority my first though is a NAS. No extra CPU needed

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: October 08, 2016 07:05PM
Wireless.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 08, 2016 07:14PM
I don't see why enclosures would be unreliable.

I'm assuming the two machines that need backing up are laptops. Otherwise I'd recommend putting backup drives directly on desktop machines.

And you do music serving.

just grab this guy and you're done - [www.apple.com]

Date: October 08, 2016 08:00PM
One is a Hac tower. It can only hold three drives though, and all bays are in use. I could put them elsewhere, but I'd need a more powerful PSU. A long time ago it was the backup machine with an enclosure. IME, enclosures have always either failed or just had random connection issues.

Even still, a Mac Mini with one of the multi-bay OWC enclosures seems like a real option.

Posted by: jdc
Date: October 08, 2016 10:46PM
M A V I C
IME, enclosures have always either failed or just had random connection issues.

Even still, a Mac Mini with one of the multi-bay OWC enclosures seems like a real option.

Ummm, didnt you just contradict yourself there? =)

I wont pretend to know how anyones network is setup -- and I'm sure everyones is slightly different, so its hard to equate my thoughts vs what works for you.

And maybe its just because I have been trying to declutter -- but I can't understand why you need to spend $$$ - $$$$ on a mini and drives to run a slow wireless network.

And if its just a "server" does it really matter what OS its running?

OK, lets pretend I have 4 iMacs in my house and I want them all to backup wirelessly.

Easiest would be a wireless drive, like a WD my cloud drive. Much cheaper, under $200 for 4TB, under $300 for 8 TB. Plug and go and done.

You could also just have one mac as the "file sharing" machine. Tun on all its file sharing, hang a big drive off the back with everything on it, done. There should be no performance issue on the machine its hooked to. In a similar wired network from 10+ years ago I had a FW800 drive setup in the same fashion. it was the primary files drive, hooked to one mac that got daily use and everyone connected to that drive via gigabit. Ran smooth as silk.

again, I can't even guess how your network works, but multiple drives and an entire additional mac just to handle it all seems like overkill? A single 5TB USB drive is $125. Consolidate if you can?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Bixby
Date: October 09, 2016 09:47AM
Freenas if you want to build your own or qnap if you don't.

The only thing this might not solve is how your store your photos - if you use iPhoto, it doesn't play nice with storage on non-local drives.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: October 09, 2016 11:23AM
Last year bought a mid-2011, i5, 21.5" iMac for $400 off ebay.

Uses standard 3.5" drives, so you could stick up to a 10TB (for data) internally, replace the optical drive with a SSD (for boot.)

External ports are FW800, Thunderbolt, USB 2.0.

M A V I C
I thought about setting up another Hac, but don't really have the time. I'd get a Mac Mini and some enclosures, but I've never found them to be very reliable.

Any suggestions as to which route I should go next for backing up my data, including photos and music?

TIA
Date: October 09, 2016 09:26PM
jdc
Ummm, didnt you just contradict yourself there? =)

Expressing my thoughts, and that they might be changing smiling smiley

And maybe its just because I have been trying to declutter -- but I can't understand why you need to spend $$$ - $$$$ on a mini and drives to run a slow wireless network.

And if its just a "server" does it really matter what OS its running?

It's an AC network that, if the machine supports it, gets over Gb speeds.

As far as OS, it's a matter of features and connections. I don't want to connect over SMB because of file name restrictions which just won't cut it with me. I want something that can manage my music library and upload it to Google Music. Using iTunes makes that relatively easy, though it could be easier.

I used to use it as a fax server, but I don't need that anymore. I also used to use it as a print server, but my router now does that.

Easiest would be a wireless drive, like a WD my cloud drive. Much cheaper, under $200 for 4TB, under $300 for 8 TB. Plug and go and done.

Admittedly, I am not familiar with that. How does it handle things like Apple's DRM music?

You could also just have one mac as the "file sharing" machine. Tun on all its file sharing, hang a big drive off the back with everything on it, done. There should be no performance issue on the machine its hooked to. In a similar wired network from 10+ years ago I had a FW800 drive setup in the same fashion. it was the primary files drive, hooked to one mac that got daily use and everyone connected to that drive via gigabit. Ran smooth as silk.

I had that setup prior to the servers. I wanted something standalone that I didn't have to bother with. It didn't matter if the host machine went down for other reasons. I used FW400 and had one cable die and two enclosures die as well. I've been more of a fan of having the drives internal and connected via SATA. I also just had a data drive on my main machine connected via USB2 and eSATA. Though eSATA was more reliable, it still wasn't as reliable as it being internal.

Hmmm, an older Mac Mini that can have multiple drives... might be worth it.

Date: October 09, 2016 09:51PM
Would it be crazy to buy a 2010 or 2011 Mac Mini Server and put a pair of 3TB or 4TB drives in it?

Or maybe one of these [eshop.macsales.com] I did have a PATA version of that, and other than the fan being noisy (I think it was an isolated thing), I didn't have any problems with it.

The other thing is my main Hac is nearly seven years old now. I have upgraded the RAM, SSD and video card. But getting it past 10.10 is unsupported at best. Part of me is thinking of replacing it with a MacBook Pro.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 207
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015