advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Magic Mouse 2: What a dumb design
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: October 19, 2016 04:59PM
Unbelievable! Charging port on the bottom so you can't use it when charging. A pure aesthetic decision at the expense of function. No power on/off indications. No charging indication. Is it charged? Can't tell! Not unless you unplug it and use it to check the Bluetooth menu....

Evidently doesn't work with Yosemite which isn't exactly an old OS yet. I've read it's wonky with El Cap too - issues with no scrolling. Has anybody experienced this?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Magic Mouse 2: What a dumb design
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: October 19, 2016 05:05PM
Uncle Wig
Unbelievable! Charging port on the bottom so you can't use it when charging. A pure aesthetic decision at the expense of function. No power on/off indications. No charging indication. Is it charged? Can't tell! Not unless you unplug it and use it to check the Bluetooth menu....

Evidently doesn't work with Yosemite which isn't exactly an old OS yet. I've read it's wonky with El Cap too - issues with no scrolling. Has anybody experienced this?

Charging port on the bottom: Not aesthetic. (Google "Apple mouse 2 design abomination.")Engineers playing at industrial design. Easier to route power to the board to charge the battery to put it there, so they put it there.

Compatibility: Works fine with El Cap. 3rd party ($$) software can be used to enable various features under Yosemite.

Posted by: space-time
Date: October 19, 2016 05:08PM
Welcome to the Future, my Son.

Seriously, I am so disappointed with Apple these days. I am not sure what I will do when I have to replace my laptop, perhaps I look at Linux.
Posted by: The Grim Ninja
Date: October 19, 2016 05:26PM
Onamuji
Easier to route power to the board to charge the battery to put it there, so they put it there.

Not buying it. The iPhone has a lightning port at the bottom. No reason the port couldn't be put on the thin edge of the mouse. If there really was a reason, then it should have been redesigned away.

You think they'd get away with putting the lightning cable perpendicular out of the Apple Logo on the next iPhone?
Posted by: vision63
Date: October 19, 2016 05:37PM
If it's bad, I'm assuming that it's due to a Jony Ive executive decision. It reminded him of some underground springs in Provence that are fed from underneath.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: October 19, 2016 06:08PM
I'm sticking with my ergonomic Contour Design mice. I have one Apple mouse attached to my KVM, the corded one with the "nipple". Unfortunately the KVM and the Contour mouse don't play well together: it functions as a plain old mouse, but the mouse software doesn't know it's there. I think there is a newer KVM that would work, but I probably won't upgrade the KVM until I upgrade the monitor to something bigger.
Posted by: ahs
Date: October 19, 2016 06:18PM
Don't think Kathe Kollwitz had anything to do with the design.
Date: October 19, 2016 06:30PM
vision63
If it's bad, I'm assuming that it's due to a Jony Ive executive decision. It reminded him of some underground springs in Provence that are fed from underneath.

When Ive introduced the new mouse, he said that his instructions/goals were to get it into the same form factor and weight as the earlier mouse. No mention of utility.

Posted by: STL
Date: October 19, 2016 06:33PM
My Magic Mouse 1 doesn't have a recharging option. You swap out batteries - alkaline or rechargeable. Must recharge out of mouse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2016 06:33PM by STL.
Posted by: hal
Date: October 19, 2016 06:35PM
STL
My Magic Mouse 1 doesn't have a recharging option. You swap out batteries - alkaline or rechargeable. Must recharge out of mouse.

about once a year...
Posted by: space-time
Date: October 19, 2016 07:02PM
The Grim Ninja
Onamuji
Easier to route power to the board to charge the battery to put it there, so they put it there.

Not buying it. The iPhone has a lightning port at the bottom. No reason the port couldn't be put on the thin edge of the mouse. If there really was a reason, then it should have been redesigned away.

I googled what Doc said and one article had an interesting comment. Apple DOES NOT WANT YOU TO USE THE MOUSE WIRED. if they made the port in just like a wired USB mouse, lots of people would just plug it in and use it as a wired mouse. Now Apple machines have few USB ports (portables only 2 USB ports), so that mouse would take one port, leaving only one port available, and people would complain.

According to that poster, Apple does not want you to use the mouse while plugged in. I would assume that was indeed a valid reason, otherwise who in their right mind would put the port the way it is?
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: October 19, 2016 07:27PM
hal
STL

about once a year...

I'm quite happy with my Magic Mouse, actually. I use rechargeables in it, but I have to change them far more often thatn once a year. Every 10 days or so. But that's not a problem. I think I'll get another new one while they're still available.

I still don't get why they can't or won't make it compatible with Yosemite - a mere one generation back from El Cap. And forbidding users to use it as a wired mouse is just a jerk move.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2016 07:32PM by Uncle Wig.
Posted by: DP
Date: October 19, 2016 08:34PM
A $10 Logitech M100 USB mouse has served me fine thru the Mighty and the Magic mice. Just keeps working thru all the OS's.

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: sekker
Date: October 19, 2016 09:34PM
Just terrible design.

The Magic Trackpad 2 is better.
Posted by: jdc
Date: October 19, 2016 11:23PM
Agree, but the whole mouse is crap design to start with, so, meh.

doesnt it have some sort of deal where you plug it in for 2 minutes and it gives you 3 hours? or something like that? I say share it every night and be done.

the rechargables in my trackpad go auto 10 days too.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2016 11:24PM by jdc.
Date: October 20, 2016 12:15AM
jdc
doesnt it have some sort of deal where you plug it in for 2 minutes and it gives you 3 hours? or something like that? I say share it every night and be done.

They say that, but it needs more like 15-20 minutes to take you to the end of the business-day from lunch time. Then you can leave it charging overnight when you leave work.

Timing's a bit screwed up if it's a home-Mac.

Posted by: gabester
Date: October 20, 2016 11:17AM
Onamuji
jdc

They say that, but it needs more like 15-20 minutes to take you to the end of the business-day from lunch time. Then you can leave it charging overnight when you leave work.

Nevermind that if it used standard batteries it'd take 10 seconds (ok, maybe 90 seconds if they had a really lousy battery compartment design) to swap batteries and be good for days/weeks, depending on your usage. Versus the novelty of having a built-in battery you cannot swap and has to be charged in such a way that the mouse cannot be used while it's charging. Magical!
g=
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: October 20, 2016 03:05PM
Then don't buy one.

Really, it's just not that hard. You can get a wired Apple Mouse with your Mac instead of the Magic Mouse 2. And buy a wireless mouse with AA batts if you really need that.
Date: October 20, 2016 05:58PM
gabester
Nevermind that if it used standard batteries it'd take 10 seconds (ok, maybe 90 seconds if they had a really lousy battery compartment design) to swap batteries and be good for days/weeks, depending on your usage. Versus the novelty of having a built-in battery you cannot swap and has to be charged in such a way that the mouse cannot be used while it's charging. Magical!
g=

You just have to learn a new discipline.

When the 10% power alert pops up, leave it charging that evening and you'll never have to worry about the batteries running down.

Posted by: mrlynn
Date: October 21, 2016 06:46AM
I like the Magic Mouse that came with my iMac six years ago; the smooth-top touch scrolling is still a marvel to me. I rotate two sets of rechargeable batteries between charger and mouse, so it takes only a minute to swap them. I hope Apple doesn't discontinue this mouse.

Used to use right-handed Contour Mice, but stopped when I got the MM, and switched to my left hand.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: October 21, 2016 12:31PM
....waiting for the Magic Rat...........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 243
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018