advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any experiences with Parallels (or equivalent) to run Windows? Also, best price on Windows 10?
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: November 02, 2016 09:42AM
Hello,

My wife has an Air that she uses for everything. However, she just started a part time consulting job in which some of the software used by the company runs better on Windows (or it's easier to use it on Windows).

After discussing the options of running a virtual machine vs. buying a cheap Windows laptop, we decided to go the laptop route. However, we quickly found that the cheap Windows laptops are just that, cheap. Platter hard drives, crappy trackpads, minimal RAM, etc. In order to get a reasonable machine with 8GB RAM and at least a 128GB SSD, we got into the $500 or so price range (we were hoping for $250-$300).

Additionally, she spends 90% of the time connected to an external 27" monitor at home and would do the same with a Windows laptop. But, in order to connect a Windows machine to the monitor, she would have to do a lot of unplugging and plugging of an HDMI cable behind the monitor and/or from the Air and then plug into the Windows laptop which, depending on the model, would either have a full size HDMI port or a micro-HDMI port.

Anyway, we are rethinking the decision of buying a Windows machine and considering getting Parallels (or equivalent) and a copy of Windows 10.

Questions:

1. How is the experience running a virtual Windows machine in Parallels on a Macbook? Any things to look out for?

2. Where would be the best place to buy Parallels and the best place to buy a legitimate copy of Windows 10?

Thank you in advance.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any experiences with Parallels (or equivalent) to run Windows? Also, best price on Windows 10?
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: November 02, 2016 09:45AM
My kids all run Boot Camp using either Win 7 or Win 10. My daughter updated to 10 when it was free, my sons all bypassed it and now are wanting to buy Win 10 at this point. Silly boys.

Is Apple's Boot Camp not an option? That's your best bet, IMO, assuming you have the drive space to install everything.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2016 09:46AM by Zoidberg.
Re: Any experiences with Parallels (or equivalent) to run Windows? Also, best price on Windows 10?
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: November 02, 2016 09:47AM
Our host had a deal going on Parallels 12 recently. Maybe it's still available. If you can run Windows 10 in Parallels 11 (check the requirements), you can find that on eBay.

New Egg sometimes has deals on various versions of Windows.

If you don't have 8GB of RAM, don't expect the Virtual Machine perform acceptably.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2016 09:49AM by ka jowct.
Date: November 02, 2016 09:47AM
Somehow I thought Bootcamp was not a thing anymore. Is Apple still supporting it and keeping it updated?
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: November 02, 2016 09:52AM
I got a free copy of Windows 10 through the Insider Program and have installed it in a Boot Camp partition on an MBA.

You're right Apple's support for Boot Camp is almost non-existent and I expect it to not work at all with the new virtual-f-key MBPs.
Date: November 02, 2016 09:58AM
MGS_forgot_password
I got a free copy of Windows 10 through the Insider Program and have installed it in a Boot Camp partition on an MBA.

I clicked on your link and, it turns out, I'm already part of the Insider Program. I must have signed up for it a long time ago and just forgotten about it. Thank you for the reminder - that potentially just saved me whatever the cost is for a retail copy of Windows 10.
Date: November 02, 2016 10:00AM
pinkoos
MGS_forgot_password

I clicked on your link and, it turns out, I'm already part of the Insider Program. I must have signed up for it a long time ago and just forgotten about it. Thank you for the reminder - that potentially just saved me whatever the cost is for a retail copy of Windows 10.

Scratch that. Just looked at the requirements:

Before you download the tool make sure you have:

An internet connection (internet service provider fees may apply).
Sufficient data storage available on a computer, USB or external drive for the download.
A blank USB flash drive or DVD (and DVD burner) with at least 4 GB of space if you want to create media. We recommend using a blank USB or blank DVD, because any content on it will be deleted.
A Windows 10 product key if you are installing it for the first time or if your PC did not have Windows 10 pre-installed by the PC manufacturer.
Posted by: jardster
Date: November 02, 2016 10:11AM
I run Parallels every day on my MBP (Mid 2012 2.3 GHz core i7 with 16 GB RAM)... currently running Windows 10 (after years of XP). I have 2 applications that I run under Windows, a web browser and a Windows only app. Good performance and really no problems.

Sorry I don't have a good line on cheap Windows 10. Since I had XP, I was able to upgrade.

Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: November 02, 2016 10:15AM
I don't know, it worked for me without a key.
Posted by: jh
Date: November 02, 2016 11:33AM
I've been using Parallels for several years now without problems but you may want to compare it with Fusion before purchasing. Run it on 8 gigs of ram with an SSD drive on a MacBook Pro i7 chip. Running Windows, 10, 8, 7, and even XP if needed. Not all at the same time of course.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: November 02, 2016 11:51AM
You can also run Windows with the free VirtualBox

The advantage of Parallels, Fusion and VirtualBox is they are virtual environments where you can run Windows inside OSX.

Bootcamp requires you to reboot the computer into Windows, which requires a few minutes to shutdown/restart.
Posted by: numbered
Date: November 02, 2016 12:57PM
Have used both Parallels and Fusion, both work well. Using Parallels now with Win 7. Go for the best deal given the limited use she needs.

Don't forget Windows security: when you are running Windows in Parallels, OSX or macOS can't help you. (However, nuking and paving the Windows VM is easier if you have secured your documents.)
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: November 02, 2016 01:04PM
pinkoos
My wife has an Air that she uses for everything…some of the software used by the company runs better on Windows…she spends 90% of the time connected to an external 27" monitor at home…we are…considering getting Parallels (or equivalent) and a copy of Windows 10.

Questions:

1. How is the experience running a virtual Windows machine in Parallels on a Macbook? Any things to look out for?

It's fine but I like VMware Fusion better. The latter is less intrusive and more system-friendly. It also allows installation on multiple owned computers.

[www.vmware.com]
Date: November 02, 2016 01:06PM
pinkoos
Somehow I thought Bootcamp was not a thing anymore. Is Apple still supporting it and keeping it updated?

Yes, Boot Camp is still a thing and yes, Apple continues to support and update it.

[www.apple.com]
Date: November 02, 2016 01:07PM
MGS_forgot_password
You're right Apple's support for Boot Camp is almost non-existent and I expect it to not work at all with the new virtual-f-key MBPs.

LOL
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 02, 2016 01:43PM
VMware is one of the best options for continuing to use the MBA, but I don't know if it will be up to the task.

pinkoos, your first problem is trying to duplicate a MBA in new models. If you can wait until BF, you should be able to get a Win10 laptop in a 8GB/128GB configuration for $400.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: November 02, 2016 03:15PM
Filliam H. Muffman
If you can wait until BF, you should be able to get a Win10 laptop in a 8GB/128GB configuration for $400.

…and then we're back to the OP's astute observation that, "…cheap Windows laptops are just that, cheap. Platter hard drives, crappy trackpads, minimal RAM, etc."

If 16 GB on the new MBPs is too little, what's 8 GB on that Win10 laptop?
Date: November 02, 2016 04:13PM
Article Accelerator
Filliam H. Muffman
If you can wait until BF, you should be able to get a Win10 laptop in a 8GB/128GB configuration for $400.

…and then we're back to the OP's astute observation that, "…cheap Windows laptops are just that, cheap. Platter hard drives, crappy trackpads, minimal RAM, etc."

What kind of Mac laptop would you be getting for $400, a thrashed 2009 with 4GB of RAM.
Recently $430 - HP 15-ay013nr 15.6" Full-HD Laptop (6th Generation Core i5, 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD) with Windows 10.
Or a refurb Dell Latitude XT3 for $325, but you have to spend $60 and install your own 128 GB SSD.

Article Accelerator
If 16 GB on the new MBPs is too little, what's 8 GB on that Win10 laptop?
Got a strawman that isn't laughable?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: November 03, 2016 12:40AM
I think my point was pretty straightforward, Filliam: How can you dare to suggest a laptop with "only" 8 GB of RAM given all the complaints about Apple equipping its newest MBPs with a 'totally inadequate' 16 GB?
Date: November 03, 2016 10:30AM
Article Accelerator
I think my point was pretty straightforward, Filliam: How can you dare to suggest a laptop with "only" 8 GB of RAM given all the complaints about Apple equipping its newest MBPs with a 'totally inadequate' 16 GB?

If you don't understand that, I don't think I will be able to explain it to you.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: November 03, 2016 12:55PM
A small step up from the previous refurb Dell (roughly equivalent in speed to the 2013 13" MBPr ME662LL/A):
$250 - Refurbished: Dell Latitude E6430 i5 3320M 2.6GHz, might be able to keep it under $370 with 8GB of RAM and 256GB SSD.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: November 03, 2016 03:30PM
Thanks for the replies.
Date: November 09, 2016 01:27PM
Follow up question:

The Apple Boot Camp page lists what hardware is required to run Windows 10 under Boot Camp. My wife's Air isn't on that list.

Does that mean her Air won't be able to run Windows 10 under virtualization software (like Parallels, Fusion, Virtual Box, etc.)? I couldn't find any info on this online anywhere.

Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 314
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018