Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $159.21 ( +0.5368 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Media Players?
Posted by: MikeF
Date: November 10, 2016 05:04PM
What are y'all using for a media player lately? Pros and cons of your method, if you don't mind sharing?

We're currently using a PS3 via the home wired network and Nullriver Medialink. Both of those are getting long-in-the-tooth along with the Mac Mini running 10.8.5 (probably need to update the OS pretty soon)...

Have a bunch of movie mkv files that could probably be transcoded if necessary.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Media Players?
Posted by: rz
Date: November 10, 2016 05:26PM
I'm using an Amazon Fire, not the latest one. They have VLC for the Fire (free) that lets you stream MKV's directly from the Mac, no transcoding needed. Interface isn't that great, but it lets you navigate through your folder setup. Only complaint I have is that it only lets you FF or REW in 10 second increments.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: November 10, 2016 05:53PM
Ancient (Core2Duo) Mac Mini and MacBook running Snow Leopard, Front Row with Perian, hooked up to my server and two TVs in the house. They still work great.

Would not work for MKVs without waiting for them to load, though. That's why I have everything in .mp4 or .mov. You don't even have to transcode if you're willing to extract the elementary tracks in QT Player 7 and re-save as a .mov.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2016 05:54PM by Will Collier.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: November 10, 2016 06:02PM
1 ApTV 2 and 1 Roku.
Roku tends to be smarter, but the interface on the ApTV is way better.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

The Howlin Souls - [goo.gl]
Posted by: gabester
Date: November 10, 2016 08:06PM
HDHomeRun with CableCard to capture TV, also have an OTA edition that I'm not really using as a backup as well as a Hauppage WinTVR 950 + EyeTV. With the CableCard HDHomeRun I've got NextPVR on a PC using SchedulesDirect for guide/scheduling on one TV. Other TVs have a Mac with XMBC (because the Mac is still running Snow Leopard) and a developer mode Chromebook with Crouton running Kodi; both of those talk to the NextPVR box for live TV or recorded, as well as to the Mac for ripped DVDs. Or any web-based streaming. I also had a Chromecast but can't seem to find it... darn thing is too small! Also enjoying the Kodi apps on iOS and Android, so just about all the devices can access the home content.
Posted by: Altered Horizons
Date: November 10, 2016 11:34PM
A 2010 Mac mini running Snow Leopard, wired into a 58" Panny plasma TV. VLC for video and iTunes 10.5.1 for music. The Marine Aquarium screen saver looks great on the TV.

Keeping it simple, everything "just works".

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open. - Sir James Dewar
myHouse: [alteredhorizons.capnix.com]
myHouse (front door - requires javascript & sound): [alteredhorizons.capnix.com]

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: November 10, 2016 11:56PM
MikeF
What are y'all using for a media player lately?…We're currently using a PS3 via the home wired network and Nullriver Medialink.

Apple TV 4 plus a Silicondust HDHomeRun networked tuner. AirPlay to the Apple TV 4 from various devices.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2016 11:59PM by Article Accelerator.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 11, 2016 02:17AM
Asus O!Play HDP-R1

Analog audio out baby!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 294
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015