advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Could someone please invent palatable pre colonoscopy drink?
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: November 17, 2016 12:10PM
Noooooo!!!!! I have to have another colonoscopy tomorrow! No food at all today, and must start that nasty mess. A whole gallon!! barf smiley barf smiley Barf, barf, barf!

Right now, I'm trying to get down 16 ounces, even mixed with Starbucks lime drink, whew, I'm gagging. So, here's a question: anybody here ever just cancel a colonoscopy because you simply could not get this mess down? I'm seriously considering cancelling. What with all the daily pain, fibromyalgia, etc. I suffer from, adding this to my already beat down body is almost intolerable.

Well, sorry again for my rant, but I need help...surrender old fogey smiley drink smiley

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2016 12:11PM by GuyGene.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Could someone please invent palatable pre colonoscopy drink?
Posted by: raz
Date: November 17, 2016 12:13PM
You're not alone.

Years ago, I had to drink two 1.5 ounce bottles of absolutely vile liquid. That's doable. The whole gallon thing is ridiculous. I wound up licking salt just to get myself to swallow.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: Buck
Date: November 17, 2016 12:19PM
Coffee?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 17, 2016 12:19PM
....well, bottoms up........

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: billb
Date: November 17, 2016 12:22PM
Here, you need a chugging partner.

palatable barium and chalk contrast for a CT scan while you are at it ......

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2016 12:25PM by billb.
Posted by: Michael
Date: November 17, 2016 12:26PM
My wife did that a month ago. She did it in spurts--a big glass at a time over several hours. She used the Costco lime sports drink to mix the stuff in. They had a new thing to add to it early in the morning of the Colonoscopy. Something else she drank that finished the clean out.

All in all, rather miserable. But they took out several polyps that had developed in the 3 years since her last colonoscopy. She has a family history of colon cancer, so she's on the every-3-year plan.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 17, 2016 12:29PM
I feel your disgust. I had to take too much of the "prep" during and post colon cancer treatment and am just happy that I am now on the every 3 year list for having colonoscopies. If they could only get rid of the "slime" texture of the liquid from the PEG in the drink.

I did find one way to take this stuff that is almost worth the discomfort of a gastro-nasal tube. Last year I had a small bowel obstruction caused by a twist at a surgery scar from the cancer surgery. The tube was put in to drain fluid from my stomach and the upper bowels, then they used it to get the prep into my stomach to clear the blockage. No swallowing of the junk needed! That worked, so no surgery was required.
Posted by: fmgtech
Date: November 17, 2016 12:38PM
I feel your pain. I've had two in the last two years. I've heard some people use vodka. I didn't and it was horrible.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 17, 2016 12:38PM
My sister in Minnesota was put on a tapering 3-day fast which culminated in one small bottle of liquid to eliminate anything that might have been left. She said it was light-years better than any prep she'd had before. I can't seem to find anyone in Baltimore which offers this version of the prep.

Date: November 17, 2016 12:42PM
Oh me, I see you all understand. So Joe, they drained ye belly, then put that nasty mess in through tube, eh? Wow. Reckon that worked, and at least you didn't have to swallow this stuff. I just got started, a bit early because I know how hard it is for me. It just seems that someone, somewhere, could figure out a better way to look inside one's colon! Swallow a small camera or something. I know it has to be cleaned out, and that's where the problem is. How to clean your colon. Without suffering through this gallon!! Woa is me...facepalm

Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 17, 2016 12:43PM
$tevie
My sister in Minnesota was put on a tapering 3-day fast which culminated in one small bottle of liquid to eliminate anything that might have been left. She said it was light-years better than any prep she'd had before. I can't seem to find anyone in Baltimore which offers this version of the prep.

I did that to myself and it sure helped. The epic pooping part was less so. Still.. blech. WHY do they make the cherry flavored stuff RED ? you're not allowed to drink or eat red stuff ! The lemon lime stuff is... terrible.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: November 17, 2016 12:48PM
I can't recall what my mom last used, but she has used it twice now and said it is great stuff and basically nothing like the 'normal' stuff and told me to do it when I eventually go and get myself an appt. - some off the shelf stuff (but still pharmacy-eee) that teh doctor recommends instead of the traditional stuff). My dad had a bout with cancer and he uses it to when he goes in for checks.

I'll check on the name.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 17, 2016 12:49PM
No joke! Try drinking diluted maple syrup with water, or straight into the prep. It helps a lot and gives you the sugar so you don't nearly pass out when they stick the IV into you. Ask me how I know.
Posted by: riley5108
Date: November 17, 2016 12:52PM
Actually just went through a Colonoscopy and Endoscopic examination about a month ago. It had been 8 years since my last exam and because they removed polyps then they said I was over due. Coupled with the fact my older brother died from colon cancer it was a must.

Did I consider cancelling the appointment "yes". I received a New Type Prep Kit in the mail and after reading it I thought 'I can't go through this'. Wife convinced me I could.

Here's the New Prep drink instructions they sent me.
Mix together TWO LEVEL CUPS (using a dry measuring cup) of Polyethylene Glycol 3350 (8.3oz/238g size bottles) with 64 oz. of the chilled drink mix. Believe it or not it was easy to drink the required amounts (tasted like cold Gatorade) and had no cramping and things went smoothly. Totally different experience from passed colonoscopies.

If there is a good reason for needing that colonoscopy you just have to buck-up and get it done. You have my sympathy, because the prep is always the worst part or use to be, in my case. Be thinking of you tomorrow morning. Good luck...

- Riley
Southern Indiana, B-Town
Posted by: wurm
Date: November 17, 2016 12:58PM
I may be "mis-remembering", but I thought for sure that a co-worker told me she was given a pill to take in preparation for hers, rather than having to deal with that nasty drink. I'm due soon, so I'll see what I get.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 17, 2016 01:02PM
Just use a straw and keep it off your tongue by drinking quickly and having the straw a little farther back from your lips.... or freeze your tongue with an ice cube before hand.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Date: November 17, 2016 01:08PM
Good words, riley. That helps. I have 4 pills to take at 5 pm today too. But the whole gallon to drink. A good friend died at 50 years old from colon cancer, so I know its importance. My problem is all the unseeable issues I have, like fibromyalgia. Right now, it's an absolutely beautiful fall day, about a perfect 72°, and here I am sitting in my chair freezing with Ecobee (that's another story) set to 74°. I've been out walking a bit with my hound, who comforts me tremendously. I'll ganbare (Nippongo for tough it out) as much as I can. Keep the comforting words coming.

C, a straw, eh? I'll try that! Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2016 01:09PM by GuyGene.
Date: November 17, 2016 01:15PM
riley5108
Totally different experience from passed colonoscopies.
an interesting parapraxis

thumbs up

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2016 01:17PM by billb.
Date: November 17, 2016 01:32PM
......as I recall, wasn't too bad.....worse is the prep for the semicolon-scopy.....

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: November 17, 2016 01:39PM
Yeesh! You're bringing back memories I don't care to relive!

My first time, I was in my early 20's. I wasn't paying attention to what was on the 'script, and just dropped it off at the pharmacy. They were quite busy, so I stepped back waiting for my turn. I saw the clerk put an empty gallon jug on the counter, but didn't think anything of it.

When my turn rolled around, she grabbed the jug and placed it in front of me explaining that I had to mix the powder in the jug with cold water, and to drink it glass by glass, until gone! I remember saying something like, "THE WHOLE GALLON ALL AT ONCE?"

I was sure she was mistaken, but sadly, she was not. By the time I got to that last glassful, I was a bit green in the gills!

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: artie67
Date: November 17, 2016 01:49PM
Here's an article that backs up riley's post above. Mixing the Miralax with Gatorade makes the liquid much more palatable in 95% of the patients.
[articles.chicagotribune.com]
Posted by: steve...
Date: November 17, 2016 02:03PM
Crystal Light Lemonade was recommended to me by the nurse when I did that a few years ago. I thought going without food would be hard but it wasn't bad at all.

Northern California Coast
Date: November 17, 2016 02:07PM
Oh no, I've already mixed the mess! Wish I had know about using Gatorade! Maybe I'll add a little Gatorade powder.

Posted by: TLB
Date: November 17, 2016 02:10PM
Last one I had they gave me a bottle of OTC Miralax to take over 24 hours. Could mix it with whatever I wanted that wasn't red or purple. Much less ghastly than the gallon jug.
Posted by: riley5108
Date: November 17, 2016 02:43PM
GuyGene
Maybe I'll add a little Gatorade powder.
Excellent idea. Not certain what the 2 packages of powder were used to make the drink mixture before adding the Polyethylene Glycol 3350 powder, but certainly tasted like Gatorade.

Seems like every gastroenterologist has a different prep preference.
Wurm, you are Not mistaken about your co-worker taking a pill. My sister in Iowa said that's all she did -I was skeptical- but BIL in California said that's all he and his wife did too. Don't know if they have good memories or poor. Seems one would need some fluid to flush the colon clean. All I know it wasn't offered to me as an alternative.

- Riley
Southern Indiana, B-Town
Posted by: norse
Date: November 17, 2016 02:48PM
Six years ago, mine was very palatable. Easy to drink. I believe there's something new out now that's does not require a gallons worth to down.
Posted by: jh
Date: November 17, 2016 02:52PM
Had three colonoscopies as well as two endoscopic so far in my long medical history. Just completed a esophagus motility test last month. Will take a colonoscopy over the motility test any day if given the choice.
Posted by: msglee
Date: November 17, 2016 03:26PM
I used Moviprep when I had my Colonoscopy. I started on a low fiber diet 3 days before my test. Nothing but clear liquids the day before and nothing on the day of the test. This was two weeks ago and everything was OK. Drinking the Moveprep wasn't bad at all.
Posted by: Michael
Date: November 17, 2016 03:26PM
GuyGene
It just seems that someone, somewhere, could figure out a better way to look inside one's colon! Swallow a small camera or something. I know it has to be cleaned out, and that's where the problem is. How to clean your colon. Without suffering through this gallon!! Woa is me...facepalm

It does exist...

[www.manhattangastroenterology.com]
Posted by: testcase
Date: November 17, 2016 04:14PM
Buck
Coffee?

Nope. Not allowed coffee or, any red colored liquids. Ginger ale, 7-Up, club soda, clear broth etc, etc. I didn't have to drink a gallon the last time. Maybe a quart or two and, it was less vile than previous concoctions.

Hang in there Gene. You'll make it eventually. Tomorrow, after the procedure, think of the great meal you'll have!
Posted by: rz
Date: November 17, 2016 04:44PM
I read recently about something that's supposed to hit the market in a year or two that will be much more palatable.

I had one a couple of months ago. Best advice I saw online was to really chill whatever you're mixing the stuff with, and to use a straw. Worst part for me was having to wake up at 3am to take the second dose.
Posted by: Octave Doctor
Date: November 17, 2016 04:54PM
My hospital decided to give me a colonoscopy while I was a patient for something else a couple years ago, so I was stuck drinking their stuff. Bad. Then, they didn't do the procedure until noon the next day, and once again, didn't find a damn thing.
Date: November 17, 2016 05:03PM
I'm hanging in! Just guzzled down another 16 oz cup! Put jug back in fridge, then checked it, I was sure I only had about 1/3 left. But, noooooo, I'm just 1/2 done!! barf smiley barf smiley Pray for me boys!

Oh, I forgot to mention, but all this is done for me through the USSR era VA. Pre WWII feeling. I not really complain though. Thankful to have it! Just not doing good lately.

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 17, 2016 05:17PM
All hail The Snake...!
Posted by: GGD
Date: November 17, 2016 05:19PM
GuyGene
I'm hanging in! Just guzzled down another 16 oz cup! Put jug back in fridge, then checked it, I was sure I only had about 1/3 left. But, noooooo, I'm just 1/2 done!! barf smiley barf smiley Pray for me boys!

Oh, I forgot to mention, but all this is done for me through the USSR era VA. Pre WWII feeling. I not really complain though. Thankful to have it! Just not doing good lately.

One thing my doctors office only mentioned after the fact, you might not need to drink the entire jug. If you get to the point where it's coming out clear from the other end, then drinking more isn't likely to change things.
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 17, 2016 05:33PM
msglee
I used Moviprep when I had my Colonoscopy. I started on a low fiber diet 3 days before my test. Nothing but clear liquids the day before and nothing on the day of the test. This was two weeks ago and everything was OK. Drinking the Moveprep wasn't bad at all.

This is what my mom used a couple of years ago. It was far less than a gallon to drink and she did use a straw. It was more expensive than the regular stuff, but well worth it, IMHO.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: November 17, 2016 05:54PM
Octave Doctor
, and once again, didn't find a damn thing.

LOL, that's kinda what you hope for isn't it ?

[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: November 17, 2016 07:53PM
I cheated on my first one at 48 yo by drinking Magnesium Citrate. It worked but they found 5 flat polyps
and they gave me a 3 year reprieve and the next one they wanted a t-total clean out so I used some high
dollar prep called Suprep, boy did it work. This time they only found 2 tiny flat ones and they gave me 5
years before the next one.

Grateful11
Date: November 17, 2016 08:26PM
Yeah Grate, I think the VA hospitals won't be using any high dollar stuff. Well, Ethyl brought home some Sprite™ and wow, mixing a bit with the dishwater drink helps! I've only got about 12 ounces to go!! smiley-music039 driving smiley

Of course, I still have a bit to go on the outlet side of things barf smiley

Appt is 10:30 in morning. Wait.... I be right back...

Posted by: bfd
Date: November 17, 2016 08:36PM
There absolutely has to be a better way than the currently popular (and obviously the least expensive) method. It's barbaric.
Date: November 17, 2016 08:56PM
.....don't forget to take pictures with iPhone 7 camera.....

Posted by: Grateful11
Date: November 17, 2016 09:09PM
bfd
There absolutely has to be a better way than the currently popular (and obviously the least expensive) method. It's barbaric.

It's a big money maker. My wife was with me both times and they do them in the Drs. practice. She they
were being funneled through there like cattle.

Grateful11
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: November 17, 2016 09:19PM
It's become a serious cash cow. I was able to do the Cologuard test instead. No history of colon cancer in the family.
Date: November 18, 2016 06:05AM
bfd, barbaric is right! Well, today's the day. I just finished the last bit! Up most of night...

Date: November 18, 2016 06:13AM
....don't worry....poop happy......

Posted by: dk62
Date: November 18, 2016 07:55AM
Just use PEG dissolved in Gatorade, works fine. Used it twice in last 5 years, no problem.
Posted by: tortoise
Date: November 18, 2016 11:15AM
GuyGene
Noooooo!!!!! I have to have another colonoscopy tomorrow! No food at all today, and must start that nasty mess. A whole gallon!! barf smiley barf smiley Barf, barf, barf!

Right now, I'm trying to get down 16 ounces, even mixed with Starbucks lime drink, whew, I'm gagging. So, here's a question: anybody here ever just cancel a colonoscopy because you simply could not get this mess down? I'm seriously considering cancelling. What with all the daily pain, fibromyalgia, etc. I suffer from, adding this to my already beat down body is almost intolerable.

Well, sorry again for my rant, but I need help...surrender old fogey smiley drink smiley

Don't sweat the small stuff like the prep, worry about your doctor paying attention to what he is doing and being careful. Several years ago my doc perforated my colon and I spent three days in the hospital with a tube down my nose into my lower parts and I was terrified that the idiots were going to kill me!!!
Date: November 18, 2016 12:49PM
Done. Done!! Feeling awful. Just are breakfast. Groggy. Oh me if I can make it home. Ethyl drive. She in stress test now. Rough week

Posted by: $tevie
Date: November 18, 2016 01:59PM
I remember once when I was with my husband for his colonoscopy, the man who was being seen before him was being questioned and we could hear the conversation:
"Did you eat any breakfast today?"
"No."
"So you have not had any food this morning?"
"Well, I did eat two hot dogs."
big grin smiley

Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 18, 2016 04:34PM
At least you aren't a cow or horse. They just get a cold garden hose up the bum.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 126
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020