advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
sharpening kitchen knives
Posted by: davemchine
Date: November 29, 2016 10:13AM
A few times a year I run all the kitchen knives through the small sharpener that I have. 30-40 strokes seems to do the job. Today I was wondering if there is a better way to go about this. What is your favorite way to sharpen the kitchen knives?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: sharpening kitchen knives
Posted by: jardster
Date: November 29, 2016 10:30AM
I use a sharpening stone, one like this... [www.cutleryandmore.com]

Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 29, 2016 10:32AM
Chef's Choice

Don't use it as much anymore as our local butcher sharpens our knifes for free.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 29, 2016 10:36AM
.......the same time one sharpens one's wit...............???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Buck
Date: November 29, 2016 10:37AM
Costco has an electric unit on sale for $40.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: November 29, 2016 10:39AM
A few swipes on the fine diamond stone, every week or so... That's the way I keep my knives sharp.

Might want to consider a good bench stone, and sharpening more than a few times a year. You'll be surprised how nice having SHARP knives is.

Come to think of it, since my 8" natural stone was stolen with my toolbox, I need to find a new one... it gave a better fine edge than my "every day" diamond stone.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: November 29, 2016 10:53AM
I was using a chef's choice that worked very well and I can recommend without hesitation.

I've changed to new knives for everyday use. The ceramic's don't need sharpening, and my el cheapo Kiwi Knives just need a few swipes on a sharpening stone (very thin blades that hold an incredible edge and cost less that $10). They aren't balanced and I wouldn't want to use them on a serving line, but for normal kitchen use they are great.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: November 29, 2016 10:57AM
My late Father taught me how to sharpen a knife. I can sharpen any knife to a razor edge with a $2 silicon
carbide stone, from flea markets, similar to the ones below. One side is too rough but the smooth side is ok.
Just takes a lot of practice. I'd like to have a set like jardster pictured though.

[www.harborfreight.com]

[www.amazon.com]

Grateful11

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2016 10:58AM by Grateful11.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 29, 2016 11:05AM
Ombligo
I was using a chef's choice that worked very well and I can recommend without hesitation.

I've changed to new knives for everyday use. The ceramic's don't need sharpening, and my el cheapo Kiwi Knives just need a few swipes on a sharpening stone (very thin blades that hold an incredible edge and cost less that $10). They aren't balanced and I wouldn't want to use them on a serving line, but for normal kitchen use they are great.

I use my Kiwi #171 almost exclusively now, while my Wusthof Classic 8" chef's knife sits in the drawer.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: November 29, 2016 11:15AM
Buck
Costco has an electric unit on sale for $40.

That's okay for cheap knives, or one that you find at the thrift store, but it's not what you want to use on a quality knife in reasonable condition. An electric sharpener removes far too much metal.
Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: November 29, 2016 11:19AM
I wait until after the holidays to go to our local farmer's market when the knife sharpener is there. They do a good job, better than I would...

The reason I wait is my BIL, who is in the habit of chopping stuff on a Corelle plate instead of the wooden cutting board, is coming for Christmas. It only took one visit for him to dull up ALL of my good knives and I started doing the sharpening after he leaves. Plus hide the good ones.
Date: November 29, 2016 11:20AM
Grateful11
My late Father taught me how to sharpen a knife. I can sharpen any knife to a razor edge with a $2 silicon
carbide stone, from flea markets, similar to the ones below. One side is too rough but the smooth side is ok.
Just takes a lot of practice. I'd like to have a set like jardster pictured though.

[www.harborfreight.com]

[www.amazon.com]

Willing to teach a how-to class?????
Posted by: Michael
Date: November 29, 2016 12:01PM
Lizabeth
I wait until after the holidays to go to our local farmer's market when the knife sharpener is there. They do a good job, better than I would...

The reason I wait is my BIL, who is in the habit of chopping stuff on a Corelle plate instead of the wooden cutting board, is coming for Christmas. It only took one visit for him to dull up ALL of my good knives and I started doing the sharpening after he leaves. Plus hide the good ones.

Get a cheap set that you bring out when he visits and hide the good ones!
Posted by: 3d
Date: November 29, 2016 12:24PM
Lizabeth

Out of curiosity. How much does the pro charge to sharpen a typical knife?
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: November 29, 2016 12:29PM
I use the same one pictured. Works great.
Posted by: Buck
Date: November 29, 2016 12:45PM
3d
Lizabeth

I think $1 per knife is typical.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: November 29, 2016 01:07PM
The guy at our farmer's market charges a $1 . . . per inch (of knife!). He will usually reduce the charge for a "regular."

He does an excellent job and will tell you what he is doing and why, should you want to learn a little something.

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: Z
Date: November 29, 2016 02:15PM
Ombligo

Seconded on the Kiwis. Cheap, sharp, hold and edge well enough and quickly rehone.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: November 29, 2016 02:23PM
On my Kiwi, I found that holding it at about 45 degrees on the hone works best. I was doing it at about 22 degrees, but it seems like 45 works better. I wouldn't have thought so until I tried it.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 29, 2016 02:48PM
Learn from the master

[www.youtube.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 29, 2016 03:11PM
.....so should remove the one in my back (that someone stuck there)......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: November 29, 2016 03:29PM
3d
Lizabeth

I have four knives done each time so...scratching head...I don't think it was over $50 for all four and might be less.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 29, 2016 04:06PM
There have been several boutique blade sharpening shops open up in N Seattle in the past few years. One even uses paper wheels. You will have to look them up for more info. Kinda esoteric but awesome.

I do my own with Arkansas natural stones, but use a well worn 1800 grit Jewelstick [www.jewelstik.com] for regular touch ups.

I actually got it off of eBay used along with about $200 assorted kitchen knives as a lot that I won for just over $30 shipped. Jewelsticks have a lifetime warranty, and are made in the US. I asked them about replacement, and they said just send it in and they would swap it out, no questions asked. But the nice woman said if the stick was "worn" it really was just broken in, and the 1800 will essentially polish the blade far better than a "sharpening" steel. I have used it "worn" and I love that thing! Cutting food isn't what messes up the edge, it is the wrong cutting board material, or letting the edge bang against other metal stuff if you run it through the dishwasher, or toss it in a metal sink.

I have built a massive collection of Henckels 4 Star knives over the years, either from Craigslist or eBay. I grew up with them in our family home, and just feel "at home" with them in my grip.

However, there is a second set of knives that the family and guests use. I do let the family use the bread knife on a cutting board. I'm not a complete bastige.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2016 04:09PM by Racer X.
Posted by: billb
Date: November 29, 2016 04:31PM
NewtonMP2100
.....so should remove the one in my back (that someone stuck there)......???

.... what do you usually do with them ..... ???

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 29, 2016 05:40PM
I have been thinking of making a sharpener like the TSPROF for a while. Promo here: [youtu.be]

The draw-through that davemchine first posted can be okay but it takes a lot of metal off if you are using 40 heavy strokes. I would have guessed 1 firm stroke each side and then 2 light should be enough every few weeks.

Most of the time I just use the steel that came with my set. I only get out the diamond embedded strop about once a year.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2016 05:41PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: davester
Date: November 29, 2016 05:59PM
I have a manual Chef's Choice somewhat like the Wusthof in davemchine's photo. It works quite wells since it has a couple of grits and holds the blade at the correct angle. However, as Muffman points out, 30-40 strokes is way too many. The Chef's Choice instructions recommend far fewer and I'm sure the same would apply to the Wusthof. When sharpening, the minimum amount necessary to get the job done is what you should aim for.

I've recently replaced the manual Chef's Choice with an electric one. It works basically the same way but it's easier to hold the angle constant so I like it. It's also a three-stage sharpener. You're not really supposed to use the first stage at all unless the knife is really banged up.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Fritz
Date: November 29, 2016 07:03PM
I have one of these.
Works a treat. 10 swipes and I'm home.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: November 29, 2016 08:22PM
The sharper you keep your knives, the easier it is to keep 'em sharp...
==
Posted by: davemchine
Date: November 29, 2016 11:45PM
Thanks for all the info! I think I'll keep my sharpener and reduce the number of strokes as multiple people have suggested. If I ever want to get more involved that Wusthof Tri-Hone Water Stone Sharpener looks pretty cool.
Date: November 30, 2016 12:03AM
Lizabeth
Grateful11

[www.harborfreight.com]

[www.amazon.com]

Willing to teach a how-to class?????

Sure, how close to NC are you? I could do a video one day.

Grateful11
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 30, 2016 12:24AM
davemchine
Thanks for all the info! I think I'll keep my sharpener and reduce the number of strokes as multiple people have suggested. If I ever want to get more involved that Wusthof Tri-Hone Water Stone Sharpener looks pretty cool.

Great option. But look into the Smith's, as the holder is plastic, and wood splits if wet too long and too often.
Date: November 30, 2016 09:08AM
Yeah looks like the Wustoff Tri Stone set has a problem with falling apart according to the reviews. Guess you might could epoxy or hot melt glue the stones back on.

On my woodcarving tools I go so far as to use a leather strop for finishing off. Like this one:
[www.amazon.com]

The Smith's Tri Stone system is only $25 and made in the USA, surprisingly.
[www.amazon.com]

A very interesting test and review of sharpeners:
[www.amazon.com]

Grateful11

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2016 09:11AM by Grateful11.
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: November 30, 2016 10:35AM
Samurai Sharpening Service (she's at the Chelsea Market in Manhattan) does an excellent job. She'll even do sharpening 'parties' for you and the gang.
[www.samuraisharpening.com]

How much does it cost?
Knives start at $2 for a very small knife and go up to $10 for a very long blade. The average chef's knife is $7. Serrated knives can cost more depending on the dullness and number of serrations. Scissors average $7 a pair.

Every Saturday and Wednesday
12:00 noon - 6:00 pm
Chelsea Market, in front of
Bowery Kitchen Supply

79 Ninth Avenue (between 15th and 16th St.)
Manhattan, New York City
For customers in Monmouth County, NJ, call or email Margery for local service, pick-up and/or drop-off, without a minimum price.

For a $200 minimum, Samurai Sharpening will do on site sharpening for certain locations.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 88
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018