advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $159.22 ( +0.5451 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
MBP 2011 is about to become obsolete... should I get a new battery?
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 30, 2016 05:17PM
My "Early 2011" 15 inch MBP just came back from Apple with a new logic board. It lasted almost 5 years. High resolution matte display. The nice one. Now I found out that it is about to become obsolete in about a month.

The battery has 776 cycles and still holds about 83% charge (current capacity is 5716 mAh, design capacity is 6900 mAh)

I am wondering it it makes sense to pay $129 and get a new battery before it is too late. I am afraid that in about a month I won't be able to get a new battery, if I need one.

On the other hand, it is possible the machine will fail again, so I may end up with a paperweight with a new battery inside. or maybe new batteries have poor quality and swell over time (the current battery was fine so far).

What is your opinion on this?

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: MBP 2011 is about to become obsolete... should I get a new battery?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 30, 2016 05:22PM
Easily replaceable. Don't bother.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: AllGold
Date: November 30, 2016 05:28PM
C(-)ris
Easily replaceable. Don't bother.

agree smiley

Plus, even if Apple won't sell you a battery, 3rd-party options will still be available.

Posted by: numbered
Date: November 30, 2016 05:41PM
The battery swap is easier than the SSD swap, and there are lots of third party choices. I got this one from our sponsor for $100...but there are cheaper choices as well. It has been running for a year and is still showing 100% health.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 30, 2016 05:43PM
When it goes bad, just get one from OWC and get on with your life.
Date: November 30, 2016 05:46PM
Plus, even if Apple won't sell you a battery, 3rd-party options will still be available.

I was afraid that 3rd party options may be of poor quality. This has been my experience with a battery for PowerBook G4. I will try OWC next time.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: November 30, 2016 05:50PM
space-time

I was afraid that 3rd party options may be of poor quality. This has been my experience with a battery for PowerBook G4. I will try OWC next time.

You should be ok as long as you stay away from the Samsung brand. wink smileyhot smiley

Date: November 30, 2016 05:51PM
LOL
Posted by: Gareth
Date: November 30, 2016 07:02PM
Get an Anker battery when needed. I would trust the ones from Anker. I guess NewerTech (from OWC) might still be an option, but I think it's more expensive and I wasn't impressed with the NewerTech battery I got for my 2008 MBP.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 30, 2016 07:16PM
I have the exact same laptop and I think I still only have less than 150 cycles on my battery.

It is what it is.
Date: November 30, 2016 07:19PM
N-OS X-tasy!
I have the exact same laptop and I think I still only have less than 150 cycles on my battery.

what is the current battery capacity? A battery loses capacity even if not used much, it's just a race against time. I am curious if the 17% capacity loss is caused by the number of cycles or by aging.

Once we had a macBook with over 1000 cycles on it and battery still have 90%+ capacity left.
Posted by: Altered Horizons
Date: November 30, 2016 11:09PM
Another vote for the NewerTech battery from OWC (the 2 screwdrivers you need are also included).

I replaced the battery in my mid 2009 MBP with one after 6 years on the original. No complaints after more than a year of use.

Wait until you really need the battery, then get the NewerTech.

Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open. - Sir James Dewar
myHouse: [alteredhorizons.capnix.com]
myHouse (front door - requires javascript & sound): [alteredhorizons.capnix.com]

Date: December 01, 2016 12:37AM
space-time
N-OS X-tasy!

what is the current battery capacity? A battery loses capacity even if not used much, it's just a race against time. I am curious if the 17% capacity loss is caused by the number of cycles or by aging.

Once we had a macBook with over 1000 cycles on it and battery still have 90%+ capacity left.

At home now - current capacity is 5855 mAh and current health is 85%. Cycles are at 222, slightly higher than I remembered.

It is what it is.
Date: December 01, 2016 05:06AM
N-OS X-tasy!
At home now - current capacity is 5855 mAh and current health is 85%. Cycles are at 222, slightly higher than I remembered.

seems like you have the almost same capacity left like me, so number of cycle is not the most important factor, but age of the battery.
Posted by: davester
Date: December 01, 2016 12:03PM
The idea of a 5 year old computer being obsolete made sense a decade ago when speed and capabilities were increasing by leaps and bounds every year. However, given the very slow current pace of new computer introductions or significant paradigm shifts, the obsoleting of such a new device makes no sense except as a marketing gimmick to get customers into the store to buy something new.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: December 01, 2016 12:40PM
davester
The idea of a 5 year old computer being obsolete made sense a decade ago when speed and capabilities were increasing by leaps and bounds every year. However, given the very slow current pace of new computer introductions or significant paradigm shifts, the obsoleting of such a new device makes no sense except as a marketing gimmick to get customers into the store to buy something new.

QFE
Date: December 01, 2016 12:48PM
davester

It also reduces the manufacturer's costs in that they do not need to continue to carry replacement parts inventory for the discontinued models.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Gareth
Date: December 01, 2016 12:51PM
davester

But it also makes sense in terms of business, b/c it's expensive to keep manufacturing and storing parts and supporting those old computers. Though the decision to obsolete Early 2011 and not Late 2011 at the same time seems odd given how similar those models are.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2016 12:52PM by Gareth.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: December 02, 2016 09:21AM
Gareth
davester

But it also makes sense in terms of business, b/c it's expensive to keep manufacturing and storing parts and supporting those old computers. Though the decision to obsolete Early 2011 and not Late 2011 at the same time seems odd given how similar those models are.

Maybe they are simply running out of replacement logic boards, given the graphic card fiasco.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Date: December 02, 2016 10:15AM
Speedy
Gareth
davester

Maybe they are simply running out of replacement logic boards, given the graphic card fiasco.

Agreed: [appleswitcher.com]

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 288
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015