Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $151.89 ( -1.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Countertop Microwave Recommendations
Posted by: Randalls
Date: December 03, 2016 08:41AM
Our Microwave just quit after 10 years, Panasonic 1200 watt inverter. Been looking on line and B&M. Looking for a 'standard' size 1.0 to 1.2 cu ft at 1,100 to 1,200 wt preferably. Most are 1 year warranty. I find that the new push in 'handle' buttons to open are a weak link (flimsy build).

Any help in brands/models/stores you would suggest much appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2016 08:43AM by Randalls.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Countertop Microwave Recommendations
Posted by: Mr Downtown
Date: December 03, 2016 09:31AM
Been very happy with a Sharp that I got a decade ago.
Posted by: testcase
Date: December 03, 2016 09:49AM
Sharp & Panasonic seem to be the two big names. I'd recommend a Convection Microwave. If you belong to any of the warehouse clubs, they tend to have good prices but, smaller selections.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 03, 2016 10:39AM
Randalls,

Most microwaves are throw-away devices these days. There is no such thing as a "standard" size. You choose the model that fits your space and has the power and features you want for your usage.

If I were to buy one today, I'd look at the space and choose one that is large enough and powerful enough to use for real cooking. And, I'd look at Panasonic or Kenmore.

Crazy as it may sound, Kenmore microwaves are solid. I'd also put a good word for the GE Profile under cabinet microwave. I got one for my old apartment in '08/'09 and it's still performing like a champ for the new owner.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2016 10:40AM by Robert M.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 03, 2016 10:46AM
I'm a big Panasonic fan for microwaves.

Posted by: space-time
Date: December 03, 2016 11:10AM
I agree, positive experiences with Sharp countertop, GE under cabinet, I also know people very happy with Panasonic countertop units.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 03, 2016 11:37AM
I just bought a Panasonic Inverter 1200 watt at about $110. I always liked Panasonic stuff but I hate this one. It is loud and the roller under the plate makes an awful noise as it spins.
Posted by: wurm
Date: December 03, 2016 11:48AM
I'd offer to give you an extra Sharp we have sitting here doing nothing, but it would cost more to ship it than it would be for you to buy a new one. Sad, but true.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 03, 2016 12:00PM
Sharp was bought by Hisense (Foxconn parent company) last year. I don't know if this means their quality has gone up or down as a result.

Panasonic and GE have tried to maintain their quality while reducing costs. LG and Samsung are the other global competitors. Pretty much nothing made today can be relied on to maintain the quality of a name brand from 20 years ago.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: riley5108
Date: December 03, 2016 12:43PM
Wife bought a Samsung Model: MG11H2020CT because she liked the looks and it has an Easy-to-clean, scratch-resistant ceramic interior AND was on sale $75 off. It is 1.1 cu ft, but only 1000 watts so might not be powerful enough. It also has a PowerGrill unit, which we have never used. We have had the unit now 2 years and she is not complaining an does everything she wants from a microwave.

It replaced a 15 year old Panasonic that was getting pretty long in the tooth low power output plus we had just bought all SS appliances for the kitchen and the Pani was brown =). Like Robert M said, "Most microwaves are throw-away devices these days." Hoping that is not the case with this unit. Having a microwave unit repaired, assuming you can find someone to work on a it, cost about as much as buying a new unit.

Good luck Randalls!!

- Riley
Southern Indiana, B-Town
Posted by: davemchine
Date: December 03, 2016 01:05PM
My microwave gave out this year and it was really difficult to find one that didn't look and feel like a toy. I knew I wanted a stainless model and I found that most had stainless "somewhere" on the microwave but not in all the places you would expect. I ended up with the Cuisinart CMW-100 1-Cubic-Foot Stainless Steel Microwave Oven. Simple but nice.

[www.amazon.com]
Date: December 03, 2016 03:30PM
Thanks everyone. Just replaced the fuse and so far so good. I realize it will probably fail again so appreciate the advice. Came home with the fuse and now the furnace is off. Woof. Always something- dag nab it.
Posted by: Bixby
Date: December 03, 2016 03:48PM
18 years ago (when I moved out of the dorm and into private housing in college...) I bought the cheapest microwave at Best Buy I could find, a Daewoo.

It's still going.

Granted, it certainly isn't the strongest thing in the world, but it works to heat my water for hot chocolate (yes, I know stove is better!) or warm up the odd dinner plate.

Go figure.

I'm not sure what the lesson here is. I kind of doubt I'd buy another Daewoo if/when this one dies. Maybe more that it's best to buy the simplest/cheapest thing to minimize complexity/failure? I did take that route with my washer/dryer purchase and have been well served as well.
Posted by: max
Date: December 03, 2016 05:22PM
I got an Amana Commercial one about 10 years ago from a buddy of mine that supplies restaurants.
Amazingly problem free.
Something similar to this one....

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 03, 2016 08:34PM
I'd take a swing at fixing that microwave if you have the time and patience. Could be a simple switch

That said, I've been very happy with my panasonic

Posted by: Forrest
Date: December 04, 2016 01:06AM
Sharp Convection Microwave - about $500
Posted by: Cary
Date: December 04, 2016 08:13AM
I bought a Panasonic a couple of years ago based on research/reviews online -has worked great.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: December 04, 2016 02:46PM
Panasonic, when it goes on coupon at Costco.
==
Date: December 05, 2016 03:04AM
For now looks like the fuse worked. I will be checking out the recommendations. Thanks for your input everyone.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 336
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015