Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $151.89 ( -1.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I think I'm ready to get new over-the-ear headphones
Posted by: Buck
Date: December 05, 2016 01:48PM
That's called circumaural, right? I'm thinking around $100, even though many are $250.
My kids told me my high frequency range is going anyway.
Anything you can recommend?
It has to be somewhat compact for traveling.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I think I'm ready to get new over-the-ear headphones
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 05, 2016 01:58PM
The heart of music is in the mid range.

If they're for listening to music on your phone, these Grado's are nice. It's what I use.

$49

[gradolabs.com]

[gradolabs.com]
Posted by: Bixby
Date: December 05, 2016 02:05PM
Grados are good but somewhat uncomfortable, if you're ok with open (lets sound through) design.

For closed/sealed, check out Sennheiser HD280Pro or Audio Technica ATH-M50.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 05, 2016 02:09PM
......fore best price....get it.....under.....the table.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: December 05, 2016 02:20PM
I have the Grado SR80s. Probably for over 10 years now.

They are nice, but as mentioned above they "leak" a lot, so they aren't good if you are trying to listen to something while next to a sleeping partner.
Posted by: pdq
Date: December 05, 2016 02:52PM
Bixby
Grados are good but somewhat uncomfortable, if you're ok with open (lets sound through) design.

For closed/sealed, check out Sennheiser HD280Pro or Audio Technica ATH-M50.

The Audio Technicas seem to have somewhat better reviews on Amazon, but they're a little more.

I'm currently using some Koss Pro 4AAs, which were the premier headphones of my youth, for listening at night in bed. Super heavy headphones, but that's not really a problem when laying flat, and they have pretty good isolation of the sound so they don't bother my wife.

Edit: An advert circa '71, which emphasizes the point:

...and they still sell them!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2016 02:59PM by pdq.
Posted by: raz
Date: December 05, 2016 03:03PM
Wow. I thought I was the only one listening to headphones next to the sleeping partner.

FWIW, my Grado 80s do leak, but the sound quality at low volumes allows me to keep them quiet enough to not disturb the wife.

--------------

Embarassing myself on the Internet since 1978.
Posted by: 3d
Date: December 05, 2016 03:23PM
Grados are made in the US — Brooklyn, NY to be exact.
patriot smiley
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: December 05, 2016 03:37PM
If you want the best sound quality at a reasonable price you will need to get open-back (read: leak lots of sound) headphones. Also, circumaural and compact/traveling don't go well together. The best mix of low price and great sound I've found are these Philips:

[www.amazon.com]

They usually sell for between about $60 and $80 and IMO they are the best value at that price. I listened using Grado SR60 cans for about 20 years until they failed this past year and I currently have the Grado SR225e as well as the HiFiMan 400S. I just bought these Philips and they have *fantastic* sound at less than 1/2 what I bought the 225es for and less than 1/4 the cost of the 400s's.

IMO they match or even beat the Grados in sound but the HiFiMan cans do beat the Philips in all sound categories, but not by an overwhelming amount and they a different headphone technology (planar magnetic). I'll put it this way, if I had to do it again I'd have the Philips and the HiFiMan and not the Grados.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 05, 2016 03:52PM
could you do bluetooth? Sony 950s are great, and were recenlty $88 -- might have to waist and see if they go down again...

I dont own a pair, brother does, and I almost bought them at $88 -- but I just never wear headphones.

[www.amazon.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: December 05, 2016 03:52PM
While i have a couple pairs of old school over the ear cans, by go to for sound suppression is a pair of skullcandy earbuds. They would have to be at painful levels to leak too much to disturb my bride. Or one of the doggies.
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: December 05, 2016 07:35PM
Depends on what you listen to, and what kind of "sound signature" you like. Mids? Bass?

Open air headphones will have a wider soundstage, but with some leakage.

The popular ATH-M50(x) is reasonable in cost, and does fold up, but it exaggerates low frequencies somewhat.

Comparable oldies, but goodies are the Sennheiser HD280 and Sony MDR-V6/7506.

I haven't kept up with what's the latest and greatest that have supplanted those, but you should do some reading here. More than you ever wanted to know about headphones.
Date: December 05, 2016 09:42PM
Bimwad
Depends on what you listen to, and what kind of "sound signature" you like. Mids? Bass?

The popular ATH-M50(x) is reasonable in cost, and does fold up, but it exaggerates low frequencies somewhat.

I haven't kept up with what's the latest and greatest that have supplanted those, but you should do some reading here. More than you ever wanted to know about headphones.

Head-Fi is where I did my research before buying though perhaps I should have done more before getting the SR225es. That said those Grados excel on content recorded or produced with a laid back treble, like mush of '70s popular music.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 05, 2016 11:08PM
Lew Zealand
Bimwad

Head-Fi is where I did my research before buying though perhaps I should have done more before getting the SR225es. That said those Grados excel on content recorded or produced with a laid back treble, like mush of '70s popular music.

that may be a typo, but it's an accurate one!
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 05, 2016 11:25PM
mrbigstuff
Lew Zealand
Bimwad

that may be a typo, but it's an accurate one!

I didn't catch it. I thought he meant "mush."
Date: December 06, 2016 01:26PM
Ha! It was supposed to be much but yes mush does come to mind. Low treble energy '70s recordings that come to mind:

Carole King - Tapestry
anything Blondie
anything Ramones

I just had to jettison my iTunes playlist as I moved everything to a new larger drive so my brain is mush* now.

* not a typo
Posted by: rz
Date: December 06, 2016 06:04PM
I just got a pair of on-the-ear headphones. They are Samson RTE2 Bluetooth headphones. Sam Ash had them for $29 on BF (Amazon has them for $65 now). They're ok. They have a fairly even range... not too bass heavy. I only got them because they were cheap. They have decent reviews on Amazon (3.5 stars). If you can find them cheap, they might work for you.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 07, 2016 02:19PM
....so when you guys first got on first base.....was it better....on......under......over.............???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 296
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015