advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What ads are we really hating now?
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 06, 2016 09:47PM
The My Pillow guy has gotten old fast. I swear he refers to himself as the "inventure" of this miracle pillow.

Old stand-by Karz for Kidz. I want to put one of those My Pillows over their faces, one by one.

Spectrum. Oh, come on. They gush over themselves as if they were ushering in a new golden age of universal harmony and bliss. A new beginning…get over it, you are cable monopoly scum.

Locally, Hillside Honda. Terrible, terrible jingle. Someone needs to be slapped.

Share some vitriol!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What ads are we really hating now?
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 06, 2016 09:54PM
Stupid volvo XC90 wedding one. Where the guy is looking at "candid" photos from a wedding on a $30,000 hasselblad. Cause apparently thats what you need a $30,000 camera for.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 06, 2016 09:55PM
I hate ads. I love TiVo, skip ads. I signed up for DirecTV and I am afraid I can no longer avoid ads.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 06, 2016 10:20PM
....don't like 1 + 1 [ ad.dition ] but 1-1 [ subtraction ] is o.k......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 06, 2016 10:31PM
The Mercedes-Benz ad where the parents wake up the kids. It was cute maybe twice. The second year of this makes me wish I had "accidental damage" for my TV in case I throw something at it.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: MikeF
Date: December 06, 2016 10:47PM
On the other hand, love the Subaru ones with the dog family -- especially the golden retriever puppy in the car seat.
Posted by: Frank
Date: December 06, 2016 10:57PM
All the ads for prescription drugs and the long list of contraindications!

Love my TiVo for those times I remember to fast forward through the bad ads.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: December 06, 2016 11:41PM
Piggybacking on what some others have said, all the luxury car ads suggesting that their product would be the ultimate holiday gift. This probably started with Lexus 15+ years ago with the big bows, but collectively, these ads are really nauseating. Nothing like the wonder and magic of treating yourself or your loved ones to a $70,000 vehicle. Stop tugging on my heartstrings.
Posted by: Don C
Date: December 06, 2016 11:52PM
When an expensive car is given as a surprise gift (with or without the big bow) I wonder if the recipient would not have liked to have had a choice in its selection, which takes away the element of surprise but certainly assures that the vehicle is the preferred one.

I turn off the sound on all of the pharma ads. Well, come to think of it, I am pretty quick on the mute button for ALL ads, but I too do not like the "this stuff might kill you, but ask you doctor if it is right for you" ads with imagery that has little to do with the condition being described.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 07, 2016 12:15AM
The MGM National Harbor commercial is insanely horrible. I assume it's regional, so here it is for your viewing pleasure:
[dailycommercials.com]

Posted by: davemchine
Date: December 07, 2016 12:21AM
There is an ad that plays on SlingTV with a football player talking about the time he spends with his kids...and then the ad is cut off every darn time. I'd actually LIKE to see that ad at least once. So I don't hate it but I am frustrated by it (or SlingTV).
Posted by: fmgtech
Date: December 07, 2016 01:36AM
Frank
All the ads for prescription drugs and the long list of contraindications!

Love my TiVo for those times I remember to fast forward through the bad ads.

Oh yes, the TiVo green button (skips all commercials). The only problem with that is it also skips previews of upcoming shows etc. I sometimes like to see those.
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: December 07, 2016 05:03AM
Do radio ads count?
I can't stand the ones that say maybe you're not fat, just bloated.
Yeaaaaaaahhhh....riiiiiight....

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 07, 2016 05:15AM
I guess I'm lucky in that I can just mentally tune out ads. On occasion I'll also pause a show at the start and find something to do for 15-20 minutes, then when I start it playing, I can fast forward past commercials and still finish at the same time as the program (most 60 minute shows are filled with ~20 minutes of ads).

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: December 07, 2016 05:28AM
any ad that boasts of a "JD Power award", like that matters.
Shark Jumpers: Ford w/ Denis Leary & Lincoln w/ Matthew McConaughey
Plain annoying: Ty Pennington pitching anything.
Disgusting: The woman selling copper cookware.
Ads from Signet Jewelers (Zales, Kay Jewelers, and Jared): doesn't matter how
much lipstick you put on it, a piece of poop is still a piece of poop.

All the ads targeted @ seniors (me) on Medicare: over-priced crap ("device") billed to the taxpayers. eg, wrist brace @ Walgreens: $12; same item from TV ad billed to Medicare: $178. angry villagers smiley

/rant

btw, how "Karz for Kidz" hasn't been shut down is really a mystery. Maybe because they're a 'religious charity'??

39°36'17"N 75°44'43"W

The search engine that doesn't track you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2016 05:31AM by MrNoBody.
Posted by: h linamen
Date: December 07, 2016 06:48AM
Yes, the "My Pillow" ads freak me out. Zip past if it is on the DVR otherwise I mute the sound. WHY ARE HIS ADS TWICE AS LONG? And he claims chosen by the National Sleep Foundation.... did you know his company created that foundation? Google it. Get a comparable pillow at Walmart for one-third the price.
Posted by: gabester
Date: December 07, 2016 08:00AM
DVR allows me to skip them, so unless it's a live TV game in real time I tend to miss the commercials or at least have them on mute. Netflix doesn't have them... but I keep seeing one for Chantix on Youtube that I wish I could eliminate.

In general I think drug advertising needs to die, unless it's over the counter. If you have to talk to your doctor about it, then it's not something that should be advertised.
g=
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 07, 2016 11:30AM
...I wish I could eliminate.

There's an expensive drug for that!
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: December 07, 2016 11:53AM
gabester
In general I think drug advertising needs to die, unless it's over the counter. If you have to talk to your doctor about it, then it's not something that should be advertised.
g=

agree smiley

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: rz
Date: December 07, 2016 12:54PM
I don't watch a lot of TV, and a lot of times I hit pause on the DVR while watching live TV so I can grab a snack, or use the bathroom and then skip over the ads later.

The only ads right now that I can't stand are a local car dealer where an obnoxious guy keeps interrupting his female cohort, then ends the ad by saying "It's Uuuuuuuge". The ads stopped for a while when Donald Rump was looking like he'd lose, but now that he won, they are back with a vengeance.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: December 07, 2016 01:28PM
Lawyer ads for local attorneys. They always have someone breathlessly saying how said lawyer got them huge settlements, and you may get one too! Call today for your free consultation! RollingEyesSmiley5

They seem to proliferate during lunch when we have the tv on.

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: Steve G.
Date: December 07, 2016 05:02PM
Rick-o
They seem to proliferate during lunch when we have the tv on.
You should probably avoid having lunch there. Maybe someone is trying to tell you something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2016 05:08PM by Steve G..
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 08, 2016 02:06AM
I forgot to mention how much I hate the Xfinity commercial where Gramma and Grampa spend hundreds of dollars in the hopes that their spoiled rotten grandkids' love can be bought.

Posted by: AllGold
Date: December 08, 2016 07:12PM
I still hate the Sonic TV ads with the two morons in the car. They have gotten less obnoxious recently but they're still annoying.

On the radio there is a "21 means 21" PSA that is so annoying I have to mute it. It has an awkward teen with a mustache buying a bunch of stuff along with beer. Most of the discussion between he and the clerk is about his mustache.

Aside from it being really annoying, I can't believe this is a big enough problem that they are spending money constantly airing the ad. I have never seen a local store that didn't check IDs from everyone for alcohol sales.

Also, any of the American Freight TV and radio commercials with this guy who needs to be killed (or at least have his vocal chords surgically removed): [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: fmgtech
Date: December 08, 2016 07:30PM
Also, any of the American Freight TV and radio commercials with this guy who needs to be killed (or at least have his vocal chords surgically removed): [www.youtube.com][/quote]

Here's what we have to deal with in OKC, OK. Maybe we could get two with one shot.

[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 114
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020