advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
iMac or no iMac
Posted by: dk62
Date: December 16, 2016 09:18AM
Both I and my family are getting tired of the 2011 Mac mini (even with SSD and thunderbolt dock for USB3). I was thinking of waiting for an iMac update, but from a thread a few days ago, Lew Zealand mentioned:

"iMacs are not overdue for an update as they use the current generation processors available from Intel. Intel is supposed to be releasing next-gen (Kaby Lake) processors in the first half (maybe quarter?) of next year but that could be March or June. And then Apple needs not to drag their feet updating the iMacs.
And of course the CPU performance difference won't exceed 10% or so over current-gen models unless they go 6-core, which is unlikely. "

What is the collective wisdom of the forum? I am not going to wait past April next year, so does it make sense to get it now?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: iMac or no iMac
Posted by: jardster
Date: December 16, 2016 09:22AM
Do it! If you've got a 2011 mini, I think that you'll see some really good improvement. There are tons of refurbs available to save you a few bucks.

Posted by: STL
Date: December 16, 2016 09:25AM
I'm waiting for the upgrades because they are likely to include the USB-C/Thunderbolt3 interface - which is clearly the future while being a possible PITA in the short term due to adapters.
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 16, 2016 09:26AM
Are we talking 21" or 27" iMac?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: December 16, 2016 09:32AM
You asked for wisdom, but I'm gonna give you my opinion anyway!

I would buy now. In fact, I just did.

I waited until after the October (I think it was) Apple "event" and when there were no updates announces, I bought a new 2015 27" iMac to replace the 2010 27" iMac that was re-purposed as a family computer.

I don't think that there is anything that Apple could have added to the iMac that I would really want, anyway. It's possible that they would have done away with the USB/T-bolt ports and replaced them with USB-C, in which case I would have had to buy a dock.

The main thing I wanted (besides a newer/faster CPU) was USB 3.0.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 16, 2016 10:08AM
Lux Interior
You asked for wisdom, but I'm gonna give you my opinion anyway!

I would buy now. In fact, I just did.

I waited until after the October (I think it was) Apple "event" and when there were no updates announces, I bought a new 2015 27" iMac to replace the 2010 27" iMac that was re-purposed as a family computer.

I don't think that there is anything that Apple could have added to the iMac that I would really want, anyway. It's possible that they would have done away with the USB/T-bolt ports and replaced them with USB-C, in which case I would have had to buy a dock.

The main thing I wanted (besides a newer/faster CPU) was USB 3.0.

Same here.

It is what it is.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: December 16, 2016 10:10AM
eh, what do you use the machine for? how many cores does your existing machine have? how many cores will the new machine have?

I think if you're going from a 2 core to a 4 core machine it will be worth it. if you're staying at the same number of cores then the speed improvements will be underwhelming.

I'm using a 2012 MBA and have a late 2009 iMac at home. My iMac is faster.

(...and I'm hoping work will get me one of those new Macbook Pros that everyone loves to hate)

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 16, 2016 11:08AM
What mattkime said, plus a little more: what do you do with it, what is your current display, what OS X do you use, what version of iOS is on family mobile devices?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: December 16, 2016 11:37AM
Thank you all. I was just wondering what the opinion is on the potential improvements in early 2017, I think I got the gist of it - interface only, which I can live without. We use the computer for light stuff only, have a 27 and a 20 monitor hooked up to it, it is currently 2.7 GHz i7 with 500 GB SSD and maxed out RAM. Both the Mac and the iPhones running latest OSes. But that is irrelevant, my main concern was whether I would be missing out on something much better if I do not wait.

I definitely do not NEED a new machine, but why not if there is nothing better coming out in the near future, and I have the holidays to set it up (time is otherwise always an issue). It would probably be a 27 inch with SSD and maxed out RAM, I am fine with refurbished if fulfill the specs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2016 11:41AM by dk62.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: December 16, 2016 11:51AM
Lux Interior

Actually, my biggest concern about waiting would be that Jony decided to make the new iMac thinner and removed the user-upgradeable RAM from the 27. The 21 is already non-upgradeable. Bleah.
Date: December 16, 2016 12:18PM
I dont think you will see any real speed up. maybe a few clicks here an there, but nothing earth shattering -- especially with the type of use you describe.

And assuming you opt for a BTO "max" 27" iMac with i7, 1 TB flash drive and 4 GB VRAM, and just basic 8 GB of ram... thats $3500.

If you DIY "max" ram its 64 GB -- which is $900 from OWC -- so now $5000 with tax.

You could pickup 2 brand new 15' MBPs for that kind of money. =)

FWIW, I went from a 2010 2.93 i7 27" iMac, with 500 GB SSD and 32 GB of ram to a 2014 3.5 i5 27" iMac with 1 TB fusion and 32 GB of ram -- and its not all that. And Im doing the full adobe creative suite, with 3 browsers and dozens of tabs. I cant say the new iMac is any faster.

----

Date: December 16, 2016 12:18PM
Pulled the trigger. 27 inch, 4 GHz i7, 512 SSD, upgraded video card to R9 M395X with 4GB video memory (who knows if I will ever get to editing home movies, but one can hope). A bit over 3K with AppleCare, shipping, and tax. Also got some additional memory from the sponsor (16 GB only).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2016 12:21PM by dk62.
Date: December 16, 2016 12:25PM
And I am not looking for earth-shattering. Retina display, better space organization, better interfaces, potentially better reliability (Thunderbolt dock is generally stable, but flakes out from time to time, particularly when I travel and wife gets upset - with a new computer I can at least point to the Indian and not the arrow).

And I fully agree that the next version may be a downgrade, like we saw with the mini. So future proof now at a small risk.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2016 12:25PM by dk62.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 16, 2016 01:04PM
That's a big step up. The SSD in the iMac is at least 4x faster than the mini. The CPU is at least 50% faster for single threaded operations and the blade SSD improves that even more.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Date: December 16, 2016 01:04PM
Awesome. Did you shop around?

Adorama or BH often have deals with apple care... and depending on your state, no tax.

Heres a 4.0 i7, 512 GB SSD, but with a 2 GB 395 for $2600

[www.adorama.com]

IMHO, I dont think the next version will be a downgrade -- faster flash storage, better GPU, and USB C 3.1 will be upgrades.

----

Date: December 16, 2016 01:35PM
Thanks. Did not shop around, just did it at Apple. I am one of the people who pay use taxes on mail purchases, so no tax is not an incentive. But it seems I could have saved a couple of bucks shopping around. But I forgot my wife works at a University so I will call Apple and see if they can adjust educational discount, if any.
Posted by: h linamen
Date: December 16, 2016 02:05PM
Have you checked B&H Photo? They currently have Apple sealed NEW 2013 27" IMACS for $1,199 . I ordered one two weeks ago and received it promptly - no sales tax and free delivery. I paid $1,249 and yesterday noticed their price had dropped to $1,199. I emailed them and they responded immediately with a $50 price adjustment. Fantastic customer service. These are brand new and not refurbished. I don't need to pay $800-900 more to get a current model. This is 8 gigs of ram (user upgradeable) and 1 TB HD 3.2 GHz. Comes with either Yosemite or El Capitan. Mine came with Yosemite and with no problem at all I upgraded to Sierra at no cost.

dk62
Thanks. Did not shop around, just did it at Apple. I am one of the people who pay use taxes on mail purchases, so no tax is not an incentive. But it seems I could have saved a couple of bucks shopping around. But I forgot my wife works at a University so I will call Apple and see if they can adjust educational discount, if any.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2016 02:10PM by h linamen.
Date: December 16, 2016 02:19PM
I did not want an older model. A nice guy at Apple took more than $300 off my order for education discount.
Date: December 16, 2016 02:26PM
dk62
A nice guy at Apple took more than $300 off my order for education discount.

He knows the new ones are coming =)

----

Posted by: A-Polly
Date: December 16, 2016 07:16PM
Congrats, dk62 — you will love it! Did I miss someone saying Leader? Or is that out of fashion now...If not, LEADER!!! smileys with beer

[jdc, hush your mouth!] smiling smiley
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: December 16, 2016 07:32PM
I think the current approach being taken by a lot of old Mac users is now this:

-Wait for Apple to release something new
-See if it actually is new, and how badly they botched it up
-Decide whether to order the older model while still available, of try to find a refurb or NOS.

The iMac could certainly use more than just a speed bump, and the clean break from old connection ports to the new ones is here, but given Apple's apathy toward Macs, who knows?
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 16, 2016 09:52PM
I do not think TB3/USBC is all that much an improvement on a desktop machine. It's far more useful on the laptops.

I think the current 5K iMacs seem to be some of the better hardware/software combos Apple offers for Macs. There won't be any significant improvements until the next gen HDMI standard gets settled.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 111
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018