advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Pictures from the River after a record rain storm (thanks to dropbox, this might be the last one)
Posted by: hal
Date: December 17, 2016 04:31PM
I've really been a lazy lump this winter. We had a heck of a rainstorm last week. On Thursday, Sacramento got 1.84" of rain in a 24 hour period breaking the record set in 1929 of 1.56". That's almost exactly 10% of the avg annual rainfall (18.5"/yr) - in one day. So the next day I went back to my old stomping grounds at the river. SO glad I did - it was a great day out there...

But since dropbox is gonna kill these easily created links, I don't know if I'll be doing this much in the future, so enjoy while you can...

First subject that I've shot in a few months - not bad for a long layoff... (turns out most of my skills were pretty sharp today, except long distance spotting - I missed a lot of opps)

This heron is standing on what is usually an access road. Now flooded, I can't even get to the area that was my favorite for shooting snowy egrets - it's probably under 6' of water...

Long distance tracking wasn't so sharp either, but I did manage to get this one...

Don't know what this is... muted winter colors, but rather substantial feet for a songbird... anyone know what it is?

This sign is 6' under water and it's usually a good 20' from the shore

Beautiful Red Shouldered hawk - I didn;t notice until I got home...

...what's up with that left eye? At first I though it was just closed, then I thought it was missing, but with extreme closeup... maybe it's just a scar under the eye - I dunno...

The access road pastthe barrier to indicate that it's closed...

Pretty Western Bluebird in muted winter color

This may be my best Kite-in-hover-mode shot ever

Ripped from a video that I shot - a group of four otters - never seen more than two at a time. They were very active - they were squirming like bored 4 year olds at an adult event. This was great - I only rarely see otters and usually it's only one or two and VERY far away...

thanks - enjoy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/17/2016 04:31PM by hal.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Pictures from the River after a record rain storm (thanks to dropbox, this might be the last one)
Posted by: DP
Date: December 17, 2016 04:34PM
Looks like Summer there!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Re: Pictures from the River after a record rain storm (thanks to dropbox, this might be the last one)
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: December 17, 2016 04:35PM
Very nice pictures.

Imgur could host them for you. In albums.

Drag-drop to upload.

Pretty simple.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 17, 2016 05:16PM
Thanks again for the great birds. There were a couple of pretty good storms that went through, but only a few river monitoring stations are above the monitor stage. Looks like the Yolo bypass had flow for about 3 days.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: lost in space
Date: December 17, 2016 06:46PM
Nice!

Posted by: DinerDave
Date: December 17, 2016 07:05PM
Stunning photos.

That's all I've got

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 17, 2016 07:12PM
Nice pics!

October was the crazy month:

Posted by: WHiiP
Date: December 17, 2016 08:54PM
Thanks Hal, I really enjoyed the shots with YOUR Turkey!!

smiley-signs154

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: ahs
Date: December 17, 2016 09:29PM
Unknown bird might be a California Towhee.
Posted by: blooz
Date: December 17, 2016 10:00PM
Love the kite in flight shot!

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: hal
Date: December 17, 2016 10:14PM
ahs
Unknown bird might be a California Towhee.

I think you got it - thanks

blooz
Love the kite in flight shot!

That's the shot I always wanted to get - a little closer and sharper would be nice, but I'll take it
Posted by: DP
Date: December 18, 2016 06:55AM
White-crowned Sparrow (the one with the black and white stripes on it's head). Great shots as always. Let's get that SX50 replaced quick!

Disclaimer: This post is checked for correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar. Any attempts at humor are solely the responsibility of the author and bear no claim that any and all readers will approve or appreciate said attempt at humor.
My name is DP, and I approve this message.
Posted by: vision63
Date: December 18, 2016 10:35PM
Great pictures Hal. I love all of them and especially enjoy otters.
Posted by: Pam
Date: December 19, 2016 06:05AM
Enjoyed all of your picts! Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 226
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018