advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What are your favorite TV cooking shows?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: December 19, 2016 11:42AM
I'm stuck in the Julia Child, Jacque Pepin, America's Test Kitchen era.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What are your favorite TV cooking shows?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 19, 2016 11:46AM
.....there are a lot of good shows on Cooking Channel [ shows with hosts that are not 'popular' like on Food Network ]......

......addicted to 'Chopped' on FOOD networks 'cause love to watch what they make from the weird ingredients.....

....depends do you want to learn fancy cooking or just regular everyday cooking.....??

.....I like Rachel Ray 30 Minute Meals, because it is for everyday people/practical and allows you to make an actual meal in 30 minutes (with shortcuts, etc.)....

......I like Melissa d'Arabian, past Food Network star winner, because she is a mom and cooks for everyday people/family......

....stay away from Katie Lee.....she is on the cooking talk show and has a show of her own.....famous for dating/marrying/then divorcing Billy Joel......I find her bland and horrible screen presence and yet she does well......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2016 11:56AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: December 19, 2016 11:50AM
To learn? Good Eats, America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Country
For Entertainment? Chopped, Cutthroat Kitchen and the seasonal baking/cake/pumpkin shows.

Oh, BTW, check your Cuisinart blades in case the basic blade was recalled. Rivited blades cracking. I have 3 that are bad.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 19, 2016 11:52AM
Dennis,

Regular cooking shows and such or cooking competitions like Top Chef? While I can't stand your common cooking show, I love Top Chef and similar shows. That and I have a fondness for shows like America's Test Kitchen not because of the cooking but for testing gear and ingredients and such.

Robert
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 19, 2016 11:54AM
Dennis S
I'm stuck in the Julia Child, Jacque Pepin, America's Test Kitchen era.

only problem is their dishes are over the top meals that normal people dont eat.

Any "how to" cooking show is OK in my book, even the celebrity ones. lots of great simple meals that are easy to make and taste great.

chopped is more of a "gameshow" than a cooking show, but we enjoy it -- along with many of the other cooking gameshows like it.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: December 19, 2016 11:55AM
FYI, Richard Kimball is leaving ATK/CC. I think he is retiring. He will still handle the magazine, but the 2 main ladies will co-host and everyone is staying on AFAIK.
Posted by: fmgtech
Date: December 19, 2016 12:00PM
I like Martha and Snoop's Potluck Dinner Party.
Date: December 19, 2016 12:04PM
Robert M
Dennis,

Regular cooking shows and such or cooking competitions like Top Chef? While I can't stand your common cooking show, I love Top Chef and similar shows. That and I have a fondness for shows like America's Test Kitchen not because of the cooking but for testing gear and ingredients and such.

Robert

No, I don't mean competitions or screaming or cursing. Just modern versions of Julia Child. Educational.

As much as I revere Julia Child, I was watching a clip of hers on cooking vegetables, and she cooked everyone by boiling. Even asparagus.
Date: December 19, 2016 12:06PM
.....Bobby Flay is a bit over-rated but enjoy his 'Brunch' show......

......Martha Stewart is good for a broad view and she is very good about explaining technique. Her show is gone, it moved to Hallmark channel for a bit after NBC but then they declined to renew due to costs but reruns are shown on Fine Living Channel and Cooking Channel.....

Date: December 19, 2016 12:17PM
Racer X
FYI, Richard Kimball is leaving ATK/CC. I think he is retiring. He will still handle the magazine, but the 2 main ladies will co-host and everyone is staying on AFAIK.

I think he's spending his time looking for a man who lost his arm in a Cuisinart accident.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 19, 2016 12:30PM
I thought this place was infested with old people. old fogey smiley Old Fogette Nobody has mentioned Graham Kerr, The Galloping Gourmet! ATK and Cooks Country are my favorites for current content.

For entertainment, I like The Great British Baking Show. It's not really that good for training, except for examples on what NOT to do. grinning smiley

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: December 19, 2016 12:36PM
Y'all remember the Original, The Galloping Gourmet? I loved that show, and it is the one way back in my teens that got me started liking cooking shows. I like Pepin, Test Kitchen, Paula Deen, Martha Stewart, just a whole bunch I like. Those men (some women) who come across as arrogant, e.g. skinny boy from NYC who goes all over the world, don't want to even say his name, he's so arrogant, I can't endure. Old Andrew who eats all kinds of crazy mess too, even though he is not cooking, he shows things people eat all over the world. I just love good food. popcorn smiley coffee smiley

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Date: December 19, 2016 12:38PM
Filliam H. Muffman
I thought this place was infested with old people. old fogey smiley Old Fogette Nobody has mentioned Graham Kerr, The Galloping Gourmet! ATK and Cooks Country are my favorites for current content.

For entertainment, I like The Great British Baking Show. It's not really that good for training, except for examples on what NOT to do. grinning smiley

Love Graham Kerr. Watched when I was a kid with my grandma, and watched his current stuff on local PBS. He lives here locally. I have met him at book signings half a dozen times over the years. I have learned some very important ideas from him. My hummus recipe is largely based on his, using my Cuisinart with defective blade, of course.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2016 12:40PM by Racer X.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 19, 2016 12:53PM
Graham Kerr got me interested in cooking, Alton Brown taught me the basics, then Triple-D showed me how to break the rules (not Guy Fieri, but the various cooks he profiles).

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Z
Date: December 19, 2016 01:38PM
Great British Bake Off was enjoyable in ways that the American import is somehow not - perhaps just the approach without the

I greatly enjoyed the The Supersizers Go series on Hulu - not quite cooking, but food history and discussion.
Posted by: jardster
Date: December 19, 2016 01:54PM
Here is a little more on Chris Kimball and ATK....

[www.washingtonpost.com]

Date: December 19, 2016 02:25PM
Chris Kimball still has his radio show but the name changed to Milk Street Kitchen and it no longer has the ATK people on it.
Date: December 19, 2016 02:49PM
Thanks for the correction.
Posted by: modelamac
Date: December 19, 2016 04:58PM
Dennis S,

You have too much time on your hands.

Remember how when you were little
you could just rip off your diaper and
just run around naked and everyone
thought it was so cute and funny?

Anyway, I need bail money.
Posted by: wurm
Date: December 19, 2016 07:06PM
Dennis S
Chris Kimball still has his radio show but the name changed to Milk Street Kitchen and it no longer has the ATK people on it.

Milk Street Radio, but I know that only because we air it Sundays from 3-4pm. ;)
[www.177milkstreet.com]
Posted by: wurm
Date: December 19, 2016 07:09PM
Racer X
...He lives here locally.

I had no idea he was still alive. I remember watching that show with my mother. And we even had a series of his cookbooks. We always got a kick out of his line: "...first, you take a leek..."
Date: December 19, 2016 07:22PM
wurm
Racer X
...He lives here locally.

I had no idea he was still alive. I remember watching that show with my mother. And we even had a series of his cookbooks. We always got a kick out of his line: "...first, you take a leek..."

The Interwebs says Mt Vernon WA, but I think its closer to Stanwood up on Camano Island. Back in the 80s/90s maybe early 2000s it was Mercer Island next to Seattle.
Posted by: rz
Date: December 19, 2016 07:25PM
Don't cook, nor do I watch cooking shows.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: December 19, 2016 08:52PM
Unless these people are going to come to my place and cook, I am not interested. There is a guy on NY1 who makes some things I would eat. But does he ever stop by and whip up a meal for me? No.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: December 19, 2016 09:33PM
The Great British Baking Show

[www.pbs.org]

My wife and son like Chopped, I don't care for it.

Grateful11
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 20, 2016 02:35AM
All of the competition shows are garbage as far as educational shows are concerned.

Find Pepin's videos for from his books, La Technique and La Methode, and watch a real chef.
Date: December 20, 2016 02:43AM
mrbigstuff
All of the competition shows are garbage as far as educational shows are concerned.

Find Pepin's videos for from his books, La Technique and La Methode, and watch a real chef.

I've watched all of those I can find. Those are my favorites.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: December 20, 2016 09:13AM
Dennis S
mrbigstuff

I've watched all of those I can find. Those are my favorites.

Find a source for the Great Chefs series. or, I can send you 25 year old homemade VHS tapes :-)

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2016 09:15AM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: 3d
Date: December 20, 2016 10:00AM
I liked Rachael Ray and Sandra Lee "Semi-Homemade". Although they're not haute gourmet cuisine, their style of cooking is similar to stuff that I might actually cook at home.

There are very few cooking shows currently being broadcast unfortunately.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: December 20, 2016 10:39AM
I do like Hell's Kitchen, but it depends on the contestants. If there is someone to like, it's more enjoyable. This season I haven't been able to warm up to any of them. That's the only competition show I like.

I really like America's Test Kitchen. They make stuff I could see myself trying, and it's loaded with useful information.

I use to love the Cajun Cook with Justin Wilson! I could listen to him all day, and his food yum smiley He can still be found on Youtube. Here he is making gumbo.

Posted by: GuyGene
Date: December 20, 2016 10:49AM
Yes, Graham Kerr, that's his name. Thanks. See, I'm so old not only do I know his show, I forgot his name old fogey smiley

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Date: December 20, 2016 10:54AM
....thought he was dead.......?

Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: December 20, 2016 07:59PM
Like Master Chef, Hell's Kitchen too, but a soupçon less.

Live ATK.

Admire the various incarnations of Tony Bourdain's show. Illuminating with a depth and finesse far beyond most.

Used to watch Top Chef religiously, but a more than slight wiff of reality show melodrama began to creep
in and I fell away.

Love Iron Chef, domestic or imported. Been watching it since it was a staticky image on the backwater channels of UHF.

Bob Flay's Brunch. Love brunch, Flay has grown on me.

Good Eats may be the perfect cooking show in my universe. Engaging, entertaining, challenging, informative far beyond its own nominal boundaries. Love the books too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2016 08:08PM by Blankity Blank.
Date: December 21, 2016 10:19PM
........skinemax.....'cause it cooks in the bedroom.....???

Posted by: Kate
Date: December 22, 2016 03:10AM
I like Worst Cooks in America and Master Chef (and Master Chef Junior).

Kate
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 127
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020