advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Consumer Reports view of new MacBook Pros - for the first time
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 22, 2016 06:51PM
Not 'recommended' due to highly variable battery life.

[www.businessinsider.com]

I expected there to be speed bumps with the new Macs. This seems very much out of the ordinary - software ? Hardware? Both?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Consumer Reports view of new MacBook Pros - for the first time
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 22, 2016 07:13PM
Apple will just send out a new battery for a user swap out.. oh wait.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: December 22, 2016 10:22PM
sekker
I expected there to be speed bumps with the new Macs. This seems very much out of the ordinary - software ? Hardware? Both?

From what I've been reading, seems (per Bloomberg) that Apple made a last-minute change to the battery after the higher-rated one failed in testing and they ended up with two problems going with a different battery, the first being lesser capacity and the second that they didn't have time to tweak the OS for it.

There's reason to believe that 10.12.3 will take care of a significant part of the problem, and there's also likely to be a quiet refresh with a bigger battery inside of 6 months.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2016 10:22PM by Onamuji.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 23, 2016 07:40AM
Sekker,

No surprise. It's one of the reasons I chose a refurb 2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina to replace an aging (and wonky) '09 Macbook Pro 13" non-retina. Saved a bunch of bucks and got a great machine that will provide years of solid performance.

Robert
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 23, 2016 02:05PM
Sign of the times.

It is what it is.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 23, 2016 06:01PM
Robert M
Sekker,

No surprise. It's one of the reasons I chose a refurb 2015 Macbook Pro 13" Retina to replace an aging (and wonky) '09 Macbook Pro 13" non-retina. Saved a bunch of bucks and got a great machine that will provide years of solid performance.

Robert

I have that exact same model on order. Hoping it lasts until Apple sorts out this new transition.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: December 23, 2016 06:44PM
Sekker,

I went for broke and got the 3.1 GHz dual core i7/16 gig/512gig model. The difference in price between an i5 and the i7 was $150 or so. If it was much more, I'd've stayed with the i5 but for just that much, I figured bump the speed up a notch. The RAM can't be upgraded, so I felt it was better to go for the 16gigs from the start and not think about it.

The SSD is actually upgradeable. Our sponsor sells replacements. A 256GB or 128GB model would've required an immediate drive upgrade and that would've been mighty pricey. 512GB will do nicely for quite a while and I can always replace it in the future when a 1TB model from our sponsor becomes available for a reasonable price.

It's a _very_ nice machine, one that will last a very long time, just like its predecessor. smiling smiley

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 173
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020