advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Upgrading to AppleTV 4 from ATV3 - worth it?
Posted by: Buck
Date: December 28, 2016 02:33PM
[forums.macresource.com]

My ATV3 is still acting up. All software updates have been done. I even upgraded the router firmware. Comcast delivers about 200Mbps, so connection speed isn't the problem.
How much better is the ATV4?

We mostly use Netflix, about 80%. Some ESPN, iTunes, Youtube.
I do hate the little silver remote, and batteries don't last long. The ATV4 should have a better remote.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Upgrading to AppleTV 4 from ATV3 - worth it?
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: December 28, 2016 04:08PM
Buck
The ATV4 should have a better remote.

In some respects, yes. Others no.

Did you delete the app and reinstall?

With the discounts being seen now (64GB model for ~$50 off), there could be an update on the near horizon.

At worst, you can take advantage of the DirecTV Now deal and get a 32GB for $105, and have three months to play with their service as well.
Posted by: sekker
Date: December 28, 2016 04:25PM
Bimwad has great advice.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 28, 2016 04:28PM
.....this is the confirmed 'bug' with ATV2 and ATV3......Apple says they will offer software solution in an update 'soon' but hasn't happened yet [ hopefully soon ]......seems to only affect certain machines but your symptoms are listed......

......if you can live with it wait until they fix it......or take advantage of the Direct TV deal to get new one....

A fix for issues with 2nd and 3rd generation Apple TV is coming soon

It seems that the most recent Apple TV software update has rendered a lot of second and third-generation Apple TVs virtually unusable, with the set-top box device’s Home screen displaying only the Computers, Music and Settings apps with no other channel options available.

According to a thread on Reddit, an Apple representative has confirmed that a fix for the bug will be included in a future software update for the Apple TV. Users can manually check if any new firmware update is available at any time through the Settings app.

Fourth-generation Apple TVs exhibit no issues.

According to various reports, the second and third-generation Apple TVs would kick people out of Netflix, HBO and other video apps randomly, after which all apps go missing except for Music, Computers and Settings. People have tried restarting their boxes, unplugging and plugging them again and even resetting routers, to no avail.....

it is a software issue.........Apple will hopefully fix......?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: December 28, 2016 04:47PM
ROKU is top rated

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 28, 2016 06:02PM
At worst, you can take advantage of the DirecTV Now deal and get a 32GB for $105, and have three months to play with their service as well.

their service sucks, nothing to play with. I filed an FCC complain and ATT promissed $25 refund. If problems continue in Jan, I will file another complain.

The DirecTV now service is so bad, without Apple TV deal it is not worth ANYTHING.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: December 28, 2016 09:17PM
DirecTV Now is still working fine for me up here at the mountain cabin on old & new versions of Amazon's FireTV stick.

Got the ATV bundle as well.

space-time

their service sucks, nothing to play with. I filed an FCC complain and ATT promissed $25 refund. If problems continue in Jan, I will file another complain.

The DirecTV now service is so bad, without Apple TV deal it is not worth ANYTHING.
Posted by: iaJim
Date: December 29, 2016 07:49AM
I have a working ATV3 and got the ATV4 and I'm glad I made the switch. The Siri search is cool, and the ability to rewind 15 seconds etc is cool.
Posted by: Dennis R
Date: December 30, 2016 03:22AM
Is the free Apple TV with 3 months prepaid Directv Now bundle still available? I can't find any info on it. Could anyone provide a link?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 112
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018