advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Amazon Prime: since when items ship from 3rd party vendors?
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 30, 2016 09:06PM
In the past, Amazon Prime meant that items were shipped FROM AMAZON. What that meant was that amazon itself had those items in their warehouses, and they were sold by and shipped from Amazon. Or in other cases, a vendor shipped the items to Amazon, and Amazon took care of shipping. In those cases, it said Sold by X and shipped by Amazon.

Now I see a new combination:

Ships From and Sold By ___ (enter the vendor name here)

So how does this work? the item ships directly from that vendor, but Amazon still ensured 2 day free shipping and somehow organizes shipping by that vendor? maybe Amazon has UPS go and pick up parcels directly from that vendor, and those items never reach an Amazon warehouse?

here is an example

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Amazon Prime: since when items ship from 3rd party vendors?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 30, 2016 09:14PM
My guess is they are a new type of Amazon cloud partner. Their inventory is live on Amazon's computer and they agreed to ship stuff same day.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 30, 2016 09:47PM
Don't know how it works but it's been going on quite a while, at least with book sellers.

Posted by: Carm
Date: December 30, 2016 10:05PM
Just because it's "prime shipping" doesn't mean it's going to get to you in two days. I've had "ships from vendor" etc. through Amazon and Walmart. Just checked the item on Amazon and got the same delivery date with two day shipping.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: December 30, 2016 10:43PM
Space....Amazon has been offering certain sellers (that meet certain metrics I would guess) the ability to offer seller fulfilled Prime. They extended this offer to me recently.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: December 31, 2016 07:16AM
I have seen a lot of items shipping from 3rd party under the prime program.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: December 31, 2016 08:12AM
I believe in the fine print that Prime means two-day shipping once the shipper has it. The actual time to ship may be longer.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: December 31, 2016 09:39AM
The ship date is a week after the day s-t captured the pic, which doesn't seem to correspond to Amazon's typical Prime 2-day shipping.

Cheapening the brand.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 31, 2016 11:41AM
The ship date is 87 hours after s-t snagged the pic.
Which pretty much correlates to a 5 Jan receive date for Prime.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 31, 2016 03:35PM
I kind of wish the OP had had a link. I can't find that product, based on the info in the photo. The ones I am finding either are not offering Prime, or do offer Prime and say it will arrive in two days. I cannot find one that is offering Prime but saying it will take five days...

BTW, any time I buy from a third party seller that offers Prime, I get it in two days.

Posted by: space-time
Date: December 31, 2016 03:57PM
$tevie
I kind of wish the OP had had a link. I can't find that product, based on the info in the photo. The ones I am finding either are not offering Prime, or do offer Prime and say it will arrive in two days. I cannot find one that is offering Prime but saying it will take five days...

BTW, any time I buy from a third party seller that offers Prime, I get it in two days.

[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: December 31, 2016 05:27PM
Carnos Jax
Space....Amazon has been offering certain sellers (that meet certain metrics I would guess) the ability to offer seller fulfilled Prime. They extended this offer to me recently.

I'm curious as to what happens to sellers who don't fulfill. Do they deduct the cost of 1/12th of the Prime fee in buyers' compensation, or just ban then altogether?

The company has shown itself to be cold and merciless in how it treats its employees and contractors. And they don't even try hard to spin it when ugly truths emerge.
Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: December 31, 2016 07:21PM
Amazon will actually warehouse other vendors' wares and conduct the sale, pick, package and ship the item. The vendor gets most of the profit but Amazon gets a slice too.

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: December 31, 2016 07:49PM
What zitrffritz said.
Posted by: TheToddler
Date: December 31, 2016 10:49PM
Anything promised in two days comes in two days; if it doesn't, an email gets you an extra month of Prime.
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: January 01, 2017 06:45PM
ztirffritz
Amazon will actually warehouse other vendors' wares and conduct the sale, pick, package and ship the item. The vendor gets most of the profit but Amazon gets a slice too.

That describes the familiar "Fulfilled by Amazon" listing.

What the OP presents appears to be a situation where the seller ships the goods, and they are never handled by Amazon at all, and the onus is on the seller to facilitate the two-day delivery.

If Simplehuman doesn't get space-time his soap dispenser by Jan 5th, does Bezos come and personally bitch slap them? I'd imagine a smaller vendor would just get flicked if they dare to tarnish the Prime brand.

Only Amazon themselves are allowed to do that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 247
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018