advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
so embarrasin'?!.....Mariah Carey New Year's Ever lip sync fiasco [ video included ].....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 01, 2017 12:02AM
....on Dick Clark's Rockin' New Year's Eve.....does everyone lip sync.....???

....like watchin' a train wreck......

.......supposedly she didn't show up for sound check earlier.....the show was also worried if she would show up on time for the actual performance.......

Mariah Carey Vamps Her Way Through Painful Lip Sync Snafu on ABC's Rockin' New Year's Eve Special

....'As the clock was about to strike midnight, you can rest assured someone was about to get clocked backstage at Dick Clark’s Rockin’ New Year’s Eve With Ryan Seacrest.

Multi-platinum recording artist Mariah Carey headlined the 11:30 pm half-hour of ABC’s annual NYE broadcast. Unfortunately, soon into her medley of greatest hits, the vocal track gave out, leaving the singer to wander around aimlessly on stage unable to hit any of her iconic high notes on her own.

After opening with a few bars of “Auld Lang Syne,” the Grammy winner emerged from a cocoon of feathers to perform the 1991 hit “Emotions,” during which her backing track malfunctioned.

“This song went to No. 1, that’s all we’ll say,” she commented from the stage, before explaining that one of the vocal tracks was missing. She then vamped by inviting those in the Times Square crowd to sing the song for her. Carey urged the technicians to “get these monitors on,” while she continued on with the choreography (“just for laughs”) — and with a smile. “I’m trying to be a good sport here,” she said.

“That was… amazing,” the singer quipped at the close of the first number, leaving the audience wondering just how she would finish that thought.

The problem appeared fixed moments later as the medley transitioned into “We Belong Together,” but it soon became clear that what Carey was hearing in her earpiece was not in sync with what was heard by the audience at home, at which point she stopped lip-syncing again.

“It just doesn’t get any better,” she said once the set was finished, before turning heel and heading off-stage.

painful to watch...........?!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2017 12:20AM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: so embarrasin'?!.....Mariah Carey New Year's Ever lip sync fiasco [ video included ].....
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: January 01, 2017 12:09AM
It was painfully embarrassing to watch.

She tried to get through it but...ouch.

I sit on a man’s back, choking him and making
him carry me, and yet assure myself and others
that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his
lot by all possible means — except by getting off
his back. - Leo Tolstoy, novelist and Philosopher
(1828-1910)

Re: so embarrasin'?!.....Mariah Carey New Year's Ever lip sync fiasco [ video included ].....
Posted by: tenders
Date: January 01, 2017 12:21AM
I'm not a particular fan of her work or her drama but I do feel sorry for her on this one. Nobody signed up for that.
Posted by: fmgtech
Date: January 01, 2017 12:22AM
That's OK, I think the silence was probably better than listening to her sing.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: January 01, 2017 12:37AM
Could have been worse. At this point, we know she's not hitting the high notes anymore. (Isolated tracks from her Xmas performance are... not flattering.)

At least she didn't dance a jig.

Watch here:
[www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2017 12:38AM by Onamuji.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: January 01, 2017 07:34AM
No worse then Pit Bulls Miami concerns, lots of rappers all screaming into the mic for 2 hours. Could not even tell what song they were screaming.
Posted by: 3d
Date: January 01, 2017 07:48AM
She gets paid to be on stage to "milli-vanilli" for 8 mins. She sucked it up and stayed up there til the bitter end.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 01, 2017 08:01AM
I feel sorry for her.
Date: January 01, 2017 08:51AM
....would feel sorry for regular person but she has become too much of a Diva [ though unable to back up the Diva status. Her X-mas performance last year? was horrible too ]......loved her in the early years but she seems to have become a caricature of herself [ not in a good way ].....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2017 08:52AM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: Microman
Date: January 01, 2017 08:57AM
Just happen to see this youtube video on Autotune last night.

Interesting, to some extent

[youtu.be]
Posted by: billb
Date: January 01, 2017 10:25AM
She still has watchable curvy bits.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Kraniac
Date: January 01, 2017 11:17AM
Sorry, she handled it PERFECTLY..she is one of THE top shelf pop stars and she can sing her ass off..period and has earned her keep..@#$%& like this happens and IMO she aced it..

These productions are rife with tech issues..doing this stuff live is very complicated for television...and it's not a full on show..different performers..blh blah TV entertainment..which has almost always been lip synched.

We watch lots of music from the 50's and 60's from Black and White TV shows..right on through Bandstand and Soul Train 60's 70's and these folks almost always were lip synching..always..We watch those and we enjoy them and we don't say nothing..we enjoy the hit as it was..

I love Mariah..and I don't care if she's a diva..you can read very nice stuff about her and you can also find nasty stuff..but for the most part she's known as being very accommodating to her fans..I see a good spirit in her..but you don't make it to where she is by being straight up nice all the time..all of these people in the music industry are surrounded by sycophants , predators, parasites..loking to take your money at every turn..you have to have a very tough skin...

So, whatever, boyz and girls..I love a good DIVA who deserves her @#$%&...and..Never meet your heroes..

A fan of her voice, all out POP songs and her Schtick..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2017 11:19AM by Kraniac.
Posted by: Acer
Date: January 01, 2017 11:57AM
Since when is lip syncing to backing track in a live televised performance news? There's no way you can prance about the stage and sing with the same power and precision as your studio album. The problem is that she couldn't fake it to meet expectations, not the lip syncing as such. Kinda like professional wrestling...
Date: January 01, 2017 12:26PM
Exactly..ACER understands what Mariah knows....fake it enough to meet expectations..she knew that wouldn't fly....hmm..lots of problems there..Tear out your in ear monitor to get rid of the problem with the backing track so you can start singing??

Can't..cause then she's standing on a stage where she can't hear a damn thing..none of these stages are set up with wedge monitors..cus the performer's are monitoring through in ear devices...

and if you've ever been on a stage that is not set up for live monitoring, or, one that has bad..or zero monitoring for the band/performer...you generally can't hear anything sensible..levels are off..you cannot find your key because you can't hear ..because it's loud..nothing to get hold of..period.

It's a disaster..there are delays built into these rigs for the speaker systems because Times square has speakers all over for the live feed..and they have to use delays because of distances and a number of other reasons... all sorts of stuff going on here.

And she knew as a seasoned pro, that trying to sing her way through it would have been MUCH worse..She acknowledged the tech issue and I thought she did exactly the right thing by making fun out of it..

She has been through this before and knew that the internet would have LIT up if she tried to sing it..cause it would have sucked..Smart girl who is a total Pro and actually has a great grasp of the tech issues she was facing in that second where everything went wrong

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2017 12:29PM by Kraniac.
Date: January 01, 2017 12:32PM
Acer
Since when is lip syncing to backing track in a live televised performance news? There's no way you can prance about the stage and sing with the same power and precision as your studio album. The problem is that she couldn't fake it to meet expectations, not the lip syncing as such. Kinda like professional wrestling...

I don't think that this was a traditional lip-sync fiasco a la Britney.

This one is an interesting peek behind the curtain because her high-notes were pre-recorded and broken out separately from the other vocal track(s). It seems that she expected to do some singing, but wasn't planning upon doing her signature stuff.

She used to be able to hit those notes on-stage, but recent stumbles have exposed some problems with range as she ages. (To her credit, unlike most of her peers, she seems to be able to hit the notes that she goes for.)

So, we don't have a performer who is lip-syncing all the time. Only strategically.

That's interesting. Potentially dramatic. Is this done for technical reasons because of ill-fitting choreography; is it a pure vanity problem; or is she struggling to please fans who won't allow her to age gracefully?

Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 01, 2017 12:50PM
What is amazing is that so many people, including friends of mine, still watch New Year's Rocking Eve. At least this one sounds like it was interesting.

Date: January 01, 2017 12:52PM
I think it's more of that fact that on TV..if they're doing a lip synch..they use the studio version of the hit..cause that's what folks want..and why not? What else are you gonna use

Sometimes, they leave the mic open so she can pop in some improv verbiage only..prompting the audience..in Mariah's case..the whistle notes..her trademark..are not there for her..so it might be only those..Of course they can take only the tracks they need..

But..it's cold out there and these songs have a lot of challenges and cold air in her windpipe is not gonna help her..it's gonna hurt her..She's had voice issues in the past. Singing in the cold for someone like this just is a bad idea

The point is..she wash;'t getting the whole feed in her in ear and that it was out of synch with the live feed..she was saying.."put these monitors on please!!"
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: January 01, 2017 03:21PM
I feel sorry for Nick Cannon.
Posted by: Dazed & Confused
Date: January 01, 2017 03:49PM
Here's an interesting explanation:

[www.youtube.com]

D & C
Date: January 01, 2017 03:53PM
Dazed & Confused

[www.youtube.com]

D & C

LOL..So Mariah brought down the WTC??
Date: January 01, 2017 05:01PM
Kraniac
Dazed & Confused

[www.youtube.com]

D & C

<sarcasm>Yes, she's hotter than the melting point of steel...</sarcasm>

Where'd you get that from (summarized) "Her earpiece dropped behind her back, here are the pics" ...?

Posted by: hal
Date: January 01, 2017 05:09PM
Kraniac
We watch lots of music from the 50's and 60's from Black and White TV shows..right on through Bandstand and Soul Train 60's 70's and these folks almost always were lip synching..always..We watch those and we enjoy them and we don't say nothing..we enjoy the hit as it was..

woa, woa... hold on a minute here... DO NOT include me in that 'we'.

I ALWAYS hated lipsync performances on TV. And later, the first time I saw a 'music video' (pre MTV) and wanted to throw my TV against the wall.

When I discovered that really good bands actually sound better live than on record, I would never again accept lipsyncing as anything short of corrupt and anyone doing it is less than a real performer. If you can't sing well while prancing around, don't prance around - that's my opinion and it'll stay with me to the very end.

I consider these 'performances' as something akin to slimy. A gigantic payday for a bit of posing and slight of hand. The Who may be past their prime, but they did a 1/2time show without lipsyncing and they are old and deaf.

Perhaps you can tell that I've never been a fan of Carey, but if I saw one of my heroes doing that, they'd stop being one of my heroes.

Hey, happy new year everyone! :-)
Posted by: hal
Date: January 01, 2017 05:10PM
Onamuji
Kraniac
Dazed & Confused

[www.youtube.com]

D & C

<sarcasm>Yes, she's hotter than the melting point of steel...</sarcasm>

Where'd you get that from (summarized) "Her earpiece dropped behind her back, here are the pics" ...?

the video was built just like 911 truther videos or any youtube conspiracy videos
Date: January 01, 2017 06:46PM
....apparently she showed up for soundcheck earlier but abbreviated it......

Posted by: DinerDave
Date: January 01, 2017 07:58PM
hal
Kraniac

woa, woa... hold on a minute here... DO NOT include me in that 'we'.

I ALWAYS hated lipsync performances on TV. And later, the first time I saw a 'music video' (pre MTV) and wanted to throw my TV against the wall.

When I discovered that really good bands actually sound better live than on record, I would never again accept lipsyncing as anything short of corrupt and anyone doing it is less than a real performer. If you can't sing well while prancing around, don't prance around - that's my opinion and it'll stay with me to the very end.

I consider these 'performances' as something akin to slimy. A gigantic payday for a bit of posing and slight of hand. The Who may be past their prime, but they did a 1/2time show without lipsyncing and they are old and deaf.

Perhaps you can tell that I've never been a fan of Carey, but if I saw one of my heroes doing that, they'd stop being one of my heroes.

Hey, happy new year everyone! :-)

agree smiley

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Date: January 02, 2017 01:51AM
LMAO..lighten up, Hal !!

You probably have seen a few your heroes doing it if they were ever on TV in the 60's or 70's..all those shows used lip synching..it's TV.

I have standards too..I love a live performance and would feel slighted if i knew there was lip synching going on in a regular concert setting..But this kind of production demands lip synching in many instances..it just does..cause it's just a friggin new years cameo -in extremely challenging technical parameters..if you know anything about this- and what it takes to get it right..you would understand why these kinds of events are synched..Or, need "help" in many regards...

Now if you happened to notice..the main things Mariah was Li[p Synching to were the parts in these songs where she has a tough time hitting those extremely high notes because of her age..the rest?? She was gonna sing..and she CAN sing..better than most in case you didm';t know..and you don't have to be a fan to understand this..one of the iconic Pop voices of this age..period.

Of course I share the desire to see my heroes play straight up live...But the Who played more than a few TV shows where they mimed along with their hit..so did the Stones, the Beatles..everyone did because that's how it was done for Television..because it's super hard to make great sounding live bits in a TV studio..or in Times Square with chaos everywhere.
Posted by: richorlin
Date: January 02, 2017 08:53AM
I like her response: "@#$%& happens. No big deal"

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]
Posted by: decay
Date: January 02, 2017 09:32AM
James Brown could do splits while singing.
At an older age, too.

What do people expect from televised specatcles like this? It's going to be controlled and canned for the masses to minimize risk. The Stupor Bowel halftime is the same way.

---
Date: January 02, 2017 09:42AM
decay
James Brown could do splits while singing.
At an older age, too.

Not a fair comparison. Much of what he was singing was composed of painful grunts.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 02, 2017 11:25AM
Seems like the dancers found their time just fine. They don't appear to have in ears. But finding the beat under those conditions would be somewhat easier than finding time and phrasing for a singer.

NY Eve PA is f'n loud. I did NBC just down the block in truck, and monitor way louder in the truck then normal coz the PA is screaming, especially the bottom.

99% of performances in the same situ are live to track. The bounce off the buildings in TS at the volume of the PA is insane. All kinds of different time delays. Total live is total chance, unless it's total accapella.

Near the top of Auld, she appears already to be having issues with the in-ears. She's poking at her left ear.
At 2:45 in the 2nd link, one can plainly see in-ears on her back. And at different times, she is searching for the in ear.
Whoever dressed them (should have been her peeps) and the rcvr (you can see one of the dancers trying to attach at the top of the 2nd song), to begin with, did not account enough for movement and/or wasn't given enough time to do a proper job, unlike make-up and hair which prolly got a couple hours.

MC, at best, is a difficult performer to contend with on TV. Been there.

She was and perhaps still is a very capable singer. But I've only heard her hit it in rehearsal.
Course, I don't walk out on a stage in front of 20000 people. Well, once, but that was different.

Been there for lots of heavys when 5h1t fails. It ain't pleasant. Many a monitor mixer has had all kinds of loose things thrown at him.

Live, many tech issues can happen with playback. Believe me. I have crashed and burned a couple times, live, on international broadcast. No joy in that.
She did what she could, but the fault lies totally in her camp from what I see and know.

Celebrity performers need to understand some of the technology and not just blow it off.
Those in ears would have benefitted from a teense of Top Stick.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 02, 2017 02:52PM
Is that it? That's like... nothing. It's not like we don't know she can sing.

Her body is bangin'
Date: January 02, 2017 04:10PM
Fritz gotz it..

She was saying at some point that she couldn't even hear the snare drum..so you know it was not navigable for her..plus the backing track was moving, out of synch and dropping out.

delays in the crowd PA --up the block..booming and nothing else..crowd noise, regular noise...

As for her in ear..it was messed with and dumped quickly..

Until you have performed on a stage with a plugged in band you will never understand what it sounds like up there..With a great monitoring system..it can envelope the band and singers in great sound..you know what you sound like as a band.. and can then really play..

Much of the time? on bar stages, even bigger venues etc? You can't hear any semblance of a mix and everyone except the drummer and the bass player are winging it in various ways..

Not a chance for her to know what's going on onstage..She knew it and knew she shouldn't try to sing..so she vamped it.

My Son's I were joking that it was either acknowledge it and play with it..or that she should go into a THE WHO rage and start completely trashing the stage..guitars through speakers..smashing axes to pieces, people injured from flying parts broken off..set fire to the drum kit..

We re watched it last night and it was delicious...her timing at the end with "That was...(perfect pause) Amazing!"

Love it all and I do love most Pop schtick..it's about half of what it's all about
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 02, 2017 04:31PM
Still haven't seen it, but I am surprised that anyone is surprised. I guess you all think that the Macy's parade is all performed live, too.

Posted by: M A V I C
Date: January 02, 2017 09:06PM
I'm surprised to see someone who profited from a cruel, slave driving dictatorship get so much support. Sad to see her diva status means more than modern day slavery.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Date: January 03, 2017 12:03AM
Um...John Lennon was known, in many of his lights, as a first rate @#$%&.

So were a lot of ours and yours heeeroes and sheeroes

They are everywhere. People with talent that drive hard, push people down who get in the way..folks who have mega talent and maybe started out nice.. who have learned the '@#$%&' thing because of all the parasites that flock to them...and then just plain old @#$%& who might make great music or art. The list is long.

Don't meet your heroes (and don't meet your not heroes. they may be worse)

And, there are two sides to every story..

These sayings are around for a reason.

Folks love to diss people that they really know nothing about..we should;t do that. I do my best to deal with the work and not the persona..Im not perfect..sometimes douchy stories get the better of me....

Mariah once fired her whole crew..of course the crew went to the press..oh she did this and that..blah blah..started telling everyone about all her stuff..

Well, the reason she fired them was because they weren't doing their @#$%& jobs..they were riding the gravy train and weren't taking care of HER @#$%&..which is what they were being paid for.

The slave thing? Sorry..when you are on salary..salary, you work till the work's done..that's the way that @#$%& goes. My wife is on salary..she don't get overtime.
Date: January 03, 2017 03:40AM
Kraniac
Um...John Lennon was known, in many of his lights, as a first rate @#$%&.

So were a lot of ours and yours heeeroes and sheeroes

They are everywhere. People with talent that drive hard, push people down who get in the way..folks who have mega talent and maybe started out nice.. who have learned the '@#$%&' thing because of all the parasites that flock to them...and then just plain old @#$%& who might make great music or art. The list is long.

Don't meet your heroes (and don't meet your not heroes. they may be worse)

And, there are two sides to every story..

These sayings are around for a reason.

Folks love to diss people that they really know nothing about..we should;t do that. I do my best to deal with the work and not the persona..Im not perfect..sometimes douchy stories get the better of me....

Mariah once fired her whole crew..of course the crew went to the press..oh she did this and that..blah blah..started telling everyone about all her stuff..

Well, the reason she fired them was because they weren't doing their @#$%& jobs..they were riding the gravy train and weren't taking care of HER @#$%&..which is what they were being paid for.

The slave thing? Sorry..when you are on salary..salary, you work till the work's done..that's the way that @#$%& goes. My wife is on salary..she don't get overtime.

I hope you at least give your wife a bonus at Christmas time
Date: January 03, 2017 10:08AM
LMAO..hell no...no bonus. I pay her well so she CANT leave.

Funnily enough..my Wife is the total Mariah freak..I mean, she's a fan of a lot of pop, r&b, old gen hip hop, straight up rock folks..But there were a few Mariah hits that she'll stop the vehicle for so she con concentrate on singing along..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2017 10:11AM by Kraniac.
Date: January 03, 2017 12:00PM
Many people who have overcome struggle have used "Make It Happen" to lift themselves up.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 199
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020