advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $151.89 ( -1.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Several web sites that I like to visit are NOT allowing access because I use an ADBLOCKER...
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: January 02, 2017 06:33AM
Is there a workaround for this or do I have to play by their rules???

smiley-signs001

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Several web sites that I like to visit are NOT allowing access because I use an ADBLOCKER...
Posted by: bobinmurphy
Date: January 02, 2017 06:48AM
Yeah, looks like a lot of the news sites are now doing this. I just move on to other sites. I guess it's better than what Yahoo does posting a bunch of "sponsored" content intermixed with their "news" articles which are usually just links to a lot of the ad blocked news sites.
Re: Several web sites that I like to visit are NOT allowing access because I use an ADBLOCKER...
Posted by: Mr645
Date: January 02, 2017 06:57AM
Run into a few of those, but what's weird is there are still several ads anyway.
Posted by: Pam
Date: January 02, 2017 07:12AM
I see this often too. If it's a must read article I'll temporarily turn off ad blocking. Otherwise I skip reading the article.
Posted by: tlh828
Date: January 02, 2017 07:35AM
What Pam said.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: January 02, 2017 09:03AM
They use JavaScript to detect the adblocker. Disable JavaScript before you visit the site.

I have a toggle set up in Firefox with the QuickJava add-on.

Posted by: LyleH
Date: January 02, 2017 09:43AM
In Safari, if you QUICKLY click on "Reader" at the far right of the link's url you may be able to see one article. LyleH
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 02, 2017 09:55AM
I use adblocker, but also understand that primary news sites really need the revenue to stay in business. Newspapers, magazines, and the like are using those ads to survive not just milk you. Without that revenue, there will be no site to visit.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: MrNoBody
Date: January 02, 2017 10:10AM
I use Little Snitch to block connections to ad servers, trackers, etc.

N39° 39.7234', W075° 33.9788'
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.”
-Albert Einstein

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: January 02, 2017 11:22AM
WHiiP
Is there a workaround for this or do I have to play by their rules???

I usually just use Safari's Develop menu to reload the page masquerading as Safari for iPad.

Even though ads are still blocked, Web sites don't seem to block what they believe are ad-blocked mobile browsers.

Also, what Pam said, and LyleH's suggestion too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2017 11:23AM by Article Accelerator.
Posted by: chopper
Date: January 02, 2017 11:25AM
<<I use adblocker, but also understand that primary news sites really need the revenue to stay in business. Newspapers, magazines, and the like are using those ads to survive not just milk you. Without that revenue, there will be no site to visit.>>

This x 10000.
Date: January 02, 2017 11:25AM
Ombligo
I use adblocker, but also understand that primary news sites really need the revenue to stay in business. Newspapers, magazines, and the like are using those ads to survive not just milk you. Without that revenue, there will be no site to visit.

I'll gladly unblock once I know that I'm no longer being tracked or targeted.

I want Web sites to pretend they're paper magazines. Until they do, I'm blocking.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 02, 2017 11:33AM
Article Accelerator
Ombligo

I want Web sites to pretend they're paper magazines. Until they do, I'm blocking.

So, you want them to charge you $5.95 before you can read it?

I'm with Ombligo. If a news site asks me to turn off my adblocker, I do.

Posted by: Bixby
Date: January 02, 2017 12:46PM
Article Accelerator

No offense, but I'm not sure you understand the internet.
Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: January 02, 2017 12:49PM
$tevie
Article Accelerator
Ombligo

I'm with Ombligo. If a news site asks me to turn off my adblocker, I do.

Same here, for news sites.

Posted by: davemchine
Date: January 02, 2017 01:11PM
I don't object to advertising but I do object to the AMOUNT of advertising. Some websites are 50% or more advertisements and that is simply ridiculous. I also object to tracking. I would gladly pay for quality news reporting but there is no mechanism in place to do so on any of the tech websites I visit.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: January 02, 2017 01:28PM
davemchine
I don't object to advertising but I do object to the AMOUNT of advertising. Some websites are 50% or more advertisements and that is simply ridiculous. I also object to tracking. I would gladly pay for quality news reporting but there is no mechanism in place to do so on any of the tech websites I visit.

Yeah, there was a thread here once with a link that listed the ratio of content to advertising. I think that something like 70% of the data on the Boston newspaper site was advertising. You can't expect people to pay for that with their data plans, especially someone like me who uses TracFone.

People also object to the aggressive and intrusive way that advertising is done on websites.

I think that most of the extensions I use are designed to stop websites from doing things I object to. I wish someone would come up with an extension that would kill modal overlays.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 02, 2017 02:09PM
Just keep a secondary browser handy to use for those sites... if your "main" browser(s) have adblockers, you can leave 'em alone and go to your secondary, unblocked browser for those sites where you can bookmark them, and/or copy & paste the link when you switch. Go back to your main browser until you hit the adfull site.

Of course this recommendation is for folks w/ ample RAM on their machine... it tends to slow down minimal configurations at times, so in those case the other suggestions above may be more applicable.
==
Date: January 02, 2017 02:48PM
Also check out uBlock, which has so many filters I can hardly understand wtf they are telling me. smiling smiley-

Date: January 02, 2017 03:29PM
Bixby
Article Accelerator

No offense, but I'm not sure you understand the internet.

No offense, but I think I do. Even I have managed to learn a thing or two after 22 years of Internet experience.
Date: January 02, 2017 03:33PM
$tevie
Article Accelerator
Ombligo

$5.95, eh? I'm pretty sure electrons are cheaper than paper, glue, ink, gasoline, physical delivery costs and all the rest of the expenses of producing and delivering paper magazines. I don't think $5.95 is justifiable…
Posted by: max
Date: January 02, 2017 03:45PM
Article Accelerator
$tevie
Article Accelerator
Ombligo

$5.95, eh? I'm pretty sure electrons are cheaper than paper, glue, ink, gasoline, physical delivery costs and all the rest of the expenses of producing and delivering paper magazines. I don't think $5.95 is justifiable…

We got some quite expensive, high paid electrons, here....
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 02, 2017 03:55PM
Article Accelerator
$tevie

If you think that $5.95 was for the physical product, you are mistaken. Most likely less than $1 was for those costs. The expense is paying for the staff and expenses related to the article.

Staff salaries at those publications are in the $70k/yr range. Freelancers will get $1k+ for articles. I used to get $100 just to send a file photo to Time. If I had to go shoot something, then it was $150/hr (2 hr minimum) plus $100 license fee per image; so $400 minimum. If it was an event (like a political rally) it could easily get to my day rate of $1000 plus expenses and license fee. Don't even ask about breaking news - that could be $5000 just for first look rights, then another $5k for useage and licensing.

Those fees have gone down due to the internet, but then so has revenue. People have no understanding of how expensive it is to run a news organization. You can argue that it should be less, but it isn't.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: January 02, 2017 04:16PM
The problem is that people think the internet means everything should be free. However, they somehow don't think that THEY should work for free. It is a weird thought process.

Date: January 02, 2017 04:27PM
Ombligo
Article Accelerator
$tevie

If you think that $5.95 was for the physical product, you are mistaken. Most likely less than $1 was for those costs. The expense is paying for the staff and expenses related to the article.

And presumably those expenses would be the same for producing the Web-based equivalent. Therefore, we're back to the difference in advertising modalities and practices for print vs. the Web.
Date: January 02, 2017 04:29PM
$tevie
The problem is that people think the internet means everything should be free.

I hope you don't think that I thought that, $tevie…
Date: January 02, 2017 04:35PM
Article Accelerator
$tevie

I am talking about people who object to advertising on the internet. I hate a lot of ads, too, but unless we are going to flat out pay upfront to look at sites, I don't see how people think online publications can survive.

Date: January 02, 2017 04:48PM
$tevie
Article Accelerator
$tevie

I am talking about people who object to advertising on the internet. I hate a lot of ads, too, but unless we are going to flat out pay upfront to look at sites, I don't see how people think online publications can survive.

They can survive with static ads that don't blast noise and video at visitors.

Date: January 02, 2017 04:49PM
$tevie
Article Accelerator
$tevie

They can survive with static ads that don't blast noise and video at visitors and don't track people across the 'net.

It's not the ads that most people object to. It's the invasiveness and omnipresence of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2017 04:50PM by Onamuji.
Date: January 02, 2017 05:52PM
I must read the wrong news sites.

Posted by: fauch
Date: January 02, 2017 08:44PM
I wonder if these sites are monitoring the traffic and see how many people do NOT turn off their adblocker and instead just leave the site (as I almost always do). I get that they are trying to preserve their advertising revenue, but if they drive away all their readers in the process (perhaps permanently) it may be counterproductive.

I'd love to see some actual stats on this...
Posted by: billb
Date: January 02, 2017 09:02PM
I've whitelisted a couple sites that I read a lot and don't have too many ads and likely not have malware ads.
Otherwise I just command/<
starting to do the same for the pop-up (modal overlays ? ) where they want you to subscribe to something, anything to get your email address

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: January 03, 2017 01:28AM
Yeah, sure, I'll turn my blocker off as soon as such sites understand the difference between unobtrusive, and obnoxious, and also take responsibility for the ads they actually serve.

I trust that those who feel particularly righteous never time shift their TV programming and refrain from the 30 second skip function as well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 291
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015