Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
U2 Detail "Joshua Tree" Summer Tour
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: January 09, 2017 05:58AM
[www.rollingstone.com]

First time they will be playing an album in its entirety in concert.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: U2 Detail "Joshua Tree" Summer Tour
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 09, 2017 06:10AM
Been there, done that - saw the original in 1987.

It is what it is.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 09, 2017 07:31AM
call me when they play Boy or October.... :-)
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 09, 2017 07:34AM
Cleveland ! .... jeez, I might want to go...
Posted by: Markiscool
Date: January 09, 2017 12:11PM
Wife and I are considering the Tampa show. Our new baby will be 6 months old at that point. That isn't too early for an overnight trip to the grandparent's place, is it?

-M
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 09, 2017 12:56PM
the fact that these are stadium shows really seals the deal for me on a no basis; I hate any stadium show of any sort.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: January 09, 2017 01:32PM
The last time I saw them live was 30 years ago on the Joshua Tree tour. They are not coming to Atlanta, oh well. That saves me money that I just used to purchase Billy Joel tickets for the new Atlanta Braves stadium.

You can look at all their previous tours on their website. Interestingly, they do not have the two shows at The Omni in Atlanta in Dec 1987 listed. I was at both of those shows and have a good quality audio recording of one of them.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 09, 2017 02:44PM
DavidS... yeah, concert records are spotty... I swear they opened for Queen in 1978 in Cleveland. And that was before they were really a thing. I mean, I was kind of drunk at the time, but I DO remember Sunday Bloody Sunday. And the Edge's 'bell' riff on his guitar was so amazing.
Posted by: Spiff
Date: January 09, 2017 03:34PM
The closest they will be to me is Washington, which is about an 8 hour drive one way with no traffic issues. I think I will pass with this concert.
Posted by: rz
Date: January 09, 2017 07:12PM
cbelt3
DavidS... yeah, concert records are spotty... I swear they opened for Queen in 1978 in Cleveland. And that was before they were really a thing. I mean, I was kind of drunk at the time, but I DO remember Sunday Bloody Sunday. And the Edge's 'bell' riff on his guitar was so amazing.

First US tour was in 1980. First concert in Cleveland was 1981 at the Agora (twice, once in April, again in December). SBS came out in 83. Played Cleveland in May of 83 at the Music Hall (Dream Syndicate opened). Next was December of 84 at the Music Hall (Waterboys opened). Then March of 85 at Richfield Coliseum (Lone Justice opened). The only time I think they ever played the same concert as Queen would be Live Aid. Yeah, I'm a bit of a fan.

I'll try to go to the Tampa show. I'm a fan club member, so I can get tickets as early as this Wednesday. I hate stadium shows too, but that's about the only way you can see them anymore. First time I saw them was in a small theater in Philadelphia.
Posted by: CW2V
Date: January 09, 2017 09:55PM
Saw them at the US festival in '83. Easily the best band of the day (but I did have to leave early and missed Bowie). Missing Persons was good and I don't remember seeing the Pretenders, but I'll assume they were good too.

CW2V
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 09, 2017 10:11PM
N-OS X-tasy!
Been there, done that - saw the original in 1987.

Me too. I not at all boldly predict this won't come close to that.
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 10, 2017 01:01AM
November 1987 a group of us saw REM on Friday night in Oakland and Saturday U2 with Pretenders and Bodeans at Day on the Green

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Bo
Date: January 10, 2017 02:29AM
jdc
November 1987 a group of us saw REM on Friday night in Oakland and Saturday U2 with Pretenders and Bodeans at Day on the Green

I went to that day on the green as well! IIRC I think Johnny Marr was playing for the pretenders at that point which always struck me as a strange combo.

A few days prior to that a couple friends and I cut class our senior year to go see U2 do their impromptu lunchtime "Save the Yuppie" show at Justin Herman Plaza in SF. Footage from that show wound up as the opening for the Rattle and Hum movie. Bono graffitied the fountain and it become a big deal locally. They wound up flying the fountain sculptor in for the DOTG show to have him speak. Both shows were fantastic. Little history on the incident: [blog.sfgate.com]

Would love to see Joshua Tree performed in its entirety...but not in a stadium.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 10, 2017 02:43AM
Bo
jdc

I went to that day on the green as well! IIRC I think Johnny Marr was playing for the pretenders at that point which always struck me as a strange combo.

They must have played L.A. either just before or just after Oakland. I saw the show at the L.A. Coliseum with this same lineup as well as one additional act, The Dalton Brothers (click the link for a surprise!).

I remember also thinking that the Marr/Pretenders matchup was an odd one. Marr and Morrisey had just gone their separate ways; one supposes Marr was at loose ends. Chrissie Hynde had actually spent a fair bit of time in the U.K. in past years; it's quite possible she and Marr had become mates sometime during time.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 264
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018