Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $153.99 ( +0.93 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Checking in on Rio's 10-12 Billion $ Olympic investments
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: January 11, 2017 09:20AM
There does not appear to have been any money set aside to maintain the venues or have them generate real revenue.

[deadspin.com]

The $19 million Olympic golf course is falling into disrepair, as it struggles to pay for maintenance and salaries of workers. The problems are obvious and were known well before the games—few Brazilians play golf, and even fewer can afford expensive greens fees. Rio had two existing golf courses that could’ve been used for the Olympics, but built a brand new one instead.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Checking in on Rio's 10-12 Billion $ Olympic investments
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 11, 2017 09:23AM
Sad. The IOC really should just build permanent facilities for both the winter and summer games in an appropriate climate. The "hosting" country would get to put on the opening ceremonies and decorate as desired etc...
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 11, 2017 09:58AM
mikebw
Sad. The IOC really should just build permanent facilities for both the winter and summer games in an appropriate climate. The "hosting" country would get to put on the opening ceremonies and decorate as desired etc...

Oh, but then the IOC wouldn't be able to extort all the special "perks" from the host countries... so that'll never happen.

I think maybe a rotating system of picking, say, one venue per continent (well, one for summer, one for winter), and cycling the games through them, with maintenance being split by the countries of that continent.

Still, never happen as long as the IOC is in charge.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 11, 2017 10:18AM
IOC and FIFA, crooked as the day is long.

!#$@@$#!

all I need to know I learnt from Bugs Bunny on Saturday mornings.

The Howlin Souls - [goo.gl]
Posted by: DavidS
Date: January 11, 2017 10:18AM
They will shortly add Rio to the growing list of "Olympic facilities in disrepair" slide shows on Buzzfeed that currently includes Sarejevo, Bejing, Sochi, even Atlanta, where we are getting ready to repurpose Olympic Stadium currently known at Ted Turner Field from the Atlanta Braves to GA State University.

I find it odd that L.A. is again bidding for another Olympics.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: January 11, 2017 10:41AM
DavidS

Didn't the last L.A. Olympics use a large number of already-existing venues; Rose Bowl, even fields up in the San Francisco area?
Posted by: datbeme
Date: January 11, 2017 10:45AM
Hey, L.A.:

[www.chicagotribune.com]
Posted by: DP
Date: January 11, 2017 11:38AM
I'm still amazed that the IOC and host countries get away with the human rights violations. I am all for dissolving the IOC and starting from scratch-after some trials, and I don't mean of the athletic type...

Posted by: vision63
Date: January 11, 2017 08:31PM
DavidS
They will shortly add Rio to the growing list of "Olympic facilities in disrepair" slide shows on Buzzfeed that currently includes Sarejevo, Bejing, Sochi, even Atlanta, where we are getting ready to repurpose Olympic Stadium currently known at Ted Turner Field from the Atlanta Braves to GA State University.

L.A. hosted two massively successful Olympic Games.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: January 11, 2017 08:51PM
vision63
DavidS

Yes, they did but prior performance is not a guarantee of future success. The oOympics now are somewhat different than in 1984.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: January 11, 2017 09:58PM
Just glad that they will not be here anytime soon
Posted by: vision63
Date: January 12, 2017 10:34PM
DavidS
vision63
DavidS

Yes, they did but prior performance is not a guarantee of future success. The oOympics now are somewhat different than in 1984.

They still have the entire Olympic infrastructure built out. They'd just use it over. Check out their bid. It's L.A. Hollywood. The Entertainment Capitol of the entire Universe. It knows how to do events.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 309
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015