advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $150.27 ( 0.00 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
local business with out of state plates - insurance fraud?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 11, 2017 11:11AM
there's a local business that uses out of state (florida...we're in nyc) plates on its trucks. seems kind of bold. what kind of risk are they taking?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: local business with out of state plates - insurance fraud?
Posted by: tahoedrew
Date: January 11, 2017 11:38AM
Possibly no risk at all. There's so many variables and unknowns I think you're risking more assuming it's fraudulent.

An easy example is that they're leased from a company in Florida and their registration is maintained by the lease-holder, not the lessee.

~A

edit: for several years of first living in Nevada I drove a car my parents owned and insured. So it had PA plates, a PA registration and PA insurance (and we told the insurance company the car was located in Nevada). The insurance company had no problem with it. The cops loved to pull me over and harass me (ok, it happened maybe only twice) and tell me if I did't get it registered here they'd ticket/arrest me. But my name wasn't on the registration or the insurance owner so I had no legal ability to register it NV. I had one cop really get in my face about it. I wasn't irreverent, but I basically dared him to arrest me, but that he better be 110% sure about his legal standing because I knew mine and I would be sure my lawyer handled him with the same respect he was handling me with (i.e., none - he just thought I was a stupid mid-20's kid and he wanted to intimidate me).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2017 11:45AM by tahoedrew.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 11, 2017 11:40AM
Common practice. They save on licensing costs. All they need is a presence in Florida and be interstate in their trucking/travels. Title and buy the pro-rate plates in Florida and you are almost good to go. They will need to meet the statutory insurance requirements and pay/file the appropriate fuel tax reports in all the states where they travel. They would also need a USDOT number. And intrastate hauling authority if they haul for-hire and pickup and deliver within NY. Foremost, they would need to travel to another state as common practice, perhaps parking overnight in Jersey.

However, NY will have specific rules regarding all of this.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 11, 2017 11:54AM
fwiw, this is the business - [gotworknyc.com]

Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: January 11, 2017 12:14PM
mattkime
fwiw, this is the business - [gotworknyc.com]

A quick search came up with Alan McNair the domain owner. Another quick search turned up a construction management company in Florida with the same owner:
[www.myfloridalicense.com]

I'd guess all the vehicles are licensed through that company. It could be that the Gotworknyc is just a DBA for the Florida company, or there is an organizational structure where the Florida company is on top. Most likely perfectly legal.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 11, 2017 01:22PM
Cheaper fees.

They try and crack down on that here in CA, which has the highest license fees ever.

----

[www.fakesteve.net]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 11, 2017 01:22PM
... well.. eventually they will be licensed in Liberia ?
Posted by: rz
Date: January 11, 2017 03:10PM
Also, no state inspection here in FL. I see cars on an almost-daily basis that would not pass inspection in other states. it's up to the police to decide whether they feel the vehicle is unsafe. Emissions? Hah! No problems.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 273
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015