Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $140.70 ( -0.22 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Robocalls - what works?
Posted by: roshi
Date: January 11, 2017 11:36AM
A couple of times a day, robocalls are coming in. Is there any good solution other than never answering the phone if it is a number I don't recognize?

That is not a very good solution for me, since I often get calls from new clients.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Robocalls - what works?
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 11, 2017 11:38AM
Finding the owners of robocall companies, slitting their throats, hanging their corpses from lamp-posts on public streets, with their entrails dangling to the ground with signs around their necks "The Fate of Robocallers".

Some legal and logistical issues to work out yet... but I think it'll work.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 11, 2017 11:39AM
When I got my new job I had a lot of recruiters calling me. I used Google Voice. GV allows you to have a white list where calls go straight through. Everyone else is asked their name before your phone rings, provides a very good method of filtering.

Posted by: MikeF
Date: January 11, 2017 11:44AM
If it's compatible:
[www.nomorobo.com]
Posted by: roshi
Date: January 11, 2017 11:53AM
Nomorobo looks good, I am wondering if anyone here has personal experience using it.
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: January 11, 2017 11:55AM
My 91 year old mom was getting 7 calls a day, for 5 days a week pestering her about medical insurance.

She asked them time after time to stop. No go. I was over and they called 3 times. I answered the last call and asked to talk to the supervisor and asked them to stop.

They promised to and guess what, was over here today, and they called again.

They are located in Cincinnati, so I talked to my local police and told them I thought it was a scam going on.

In fact, they had several complaints. They had the township solicitor call them. Got one more call from them this morning from a representative who apologized and said the calls were ended.

Hopefully it holds or I might consider Paul's suggestion.

Bryan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2017 11:56AM by Grumpyguy.
Posted by: Buck
Date: January 11, 2017 11:59AM
roshi
Nomorobo looks good, I am wondering if anyone here has personal experience using it.
I've used it for years on my home phone and it works great. Robocalls ring once and show "incoming call" on the caller ID. If it rings a second time I answer it.
Posted by: DavidS
Date: January 11, 2017 12:02PM
I've seen a dramatic spike in calls on my iPhones over the last few months. I've installed the Hiya app with some decent results, but they typically can change numbers on the caller ID to get through. Most everyone who would be calling me is now in my contact list, so i just don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the caller.
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 11, 2017 12:28PM
I think Paul is on the right track. angry villagers smiley
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: January 11, 2017 12:36PM
Paul F.
Finding the owners of robocall companies, slitting their throats, hanging their corpses from lamp-posts on public streets, with their entrails dangling to the ground with signs around their necks "The Fate of Robocallers".

You picked the right time to test your theory - only have to wait 9 more days before you start stringing up the bodies.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 11, 2017 01:20PM
Ooma premiere.
And on my iPhone, the number of blocked numbers is off the charts. I've used Do Not Disturb.. where the only calls I hear are on my contacts list.

Or this.
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 11, 2017 01:21PM
A few months ago, I started clicking through until I got to a person, and then proceeded to give that person hell. "What's it like to be a POS robocall crook who steals from people?" I just did it out of frustration, but to my surprise, almost all my robocalls dried up shortly after that. And I must admit, it was pretty satisfying to boot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2017 02:23PM by Will Collier.
Date: January 11, 2017 02:03PM
We signed up for NoMoRobo in the middle of June 2016. We used to get an average of 3-4 calls a day before (I've been keeping track since March of 2014;the record is 14 calls in a single day). Since signing up, here are the statistics:

757 calls attempted (since June of last year; about the same average)
46 calls from people/businesses we know
711 calls from telemarketers/scammers/crooks/scumbags/politicians/charities/etc. (Unwanted)

Of those 711*,
27* actually rang (and were subsequently reported to NoMoRobo to block)
666* (how appropriate) were blocked by NoMoRobo.

*18 calls had a blank caller ID (no number showing both on the home phone and via Frontier) and rang -- need to contact NoMoRobo with a support request to see if they can block it when there is no number). Frontier "block hidden caller IDs" option doesn't block this and Frontier support had no clue as what to do...
Posted by: JPK
Date: January 11, 2017 02:14PM
nomorobo works very well for me. I recommend to anyone who can use it - to use it.

I only got 2 political robocalls this past election cycle and very seldom do I get a telemarket robocall anymore.

I give it two thumbs up!

JPK
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: January 11, 2017 02:40PM
It looks like nomorobo for landlines only works if you have VOIP, right?
Posted by: billb
Date: January 11, 2017 03:08PM
rjmacs
Paul F.

You picked the right time to test your theory - only have to wait 9 more days before you start stringing up the bodies.
What a refreshing change from the dishonesty of 8 years of fantasy and make-believe.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin

BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 11, 2017 03:16PM
billb
rjmacs
Paul F.

What a refreshing change from the dishonesty of 8 years of fantasy and make-believe.

You two just couldn't help yourself injecting politics into this thread. Nice work, you both got some real ZINGERS in! RollingEyesSmiley5

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: datbeme
Date: January 11, 2017 05:11PM
Will give nomorobo a try. Not to sound like a jerk, but I'm hoping it helps with some of the charity calls because those are some of the most persistent. I think my previous giving has put me on some kind of telemarketing hit list.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 11, 2017 05:32PM
roshi

We have used it for well over a year. I don't even move towards the phone unless it rings a second time. Works pretty darn well, but a robo call will still ring once. PITA on a weekend morning. But it is a GREAT first start. We use it with Vonage.
Posted by: tortoise
Date: January 11, 2017 05:36PM
roshi

I personally have employed Nomorobo on my ex business line for about three years now and it is utterly fantastic and satisfying. I can't tell you the feeling of peace and calm that I now have regarding my phone that was at one time an instrument of torture with the incessant robocalls and live telemarketers. I was about to change to an unlisted # but that would have cut me off from a lot of old friends and seemed like surrendering and admitting I had lost the battle. Thanks to Nomorobo I kept my old number and just smile every time it rings and is cut off after one ring. Gradually they seem to be decreasing in frequency, perhaps after a while they give up on unproductive numbers. Give it a try you will not regret it, setup takes a bit of time but once in place it just works.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: January 11, 2017 06:20PM
Gonna try Nomorobo on my home phone, last year we had to change my MIL's phone number. She could be suckered to anything on the phone or in print, but now only about 5 family members that need her number know it.
That was the best solution.

Dave

The secret to a long life is...

Don't do anything to shorten it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2017 06:21PM by DinerDave.
Posted by: jawg
Date: January 11, 2017 08:27PM
AT&T prompted me to sign up for Nomorobo late last summer. They are our TV, internet, and home phone provider (as well as cell phone).
Not one political call got through during the entire election season. Also not one charity or solicitation call.
I very highly recommend Nomorobo.

Posted by: datbeme
Date: January 11, 2017 09:30PM
Looking forward to seeing how this works. Took less than 5 minutes to sign up, and it stopped a call after one ring 5 minutes later. I could live with that. Granted, that was the only call we got all evening, but it's a good start.
Date: January 11, 2017 11:03PM
Our Panasonic phone has a first ring silence feature so we don't even hear the first ring that gets rejected by NoMoRobo...
Posted by: tenders
Date: January 12, 2017 08:37AM
You got me all excited about this but on Verizon FiOS, NoMoRobo only supports FiOS Digital Voice plans, and ours is something more regulated called Verizon Essentials. Not clear if changing over to DV and getting NoMoRobo is worth having to dial ten digits to make local calls (which Essentials does not require).
Posted by: Robert M
Date: January 12, 2017 11:56AM
Tenders,

Verizon Essentials is one of the standard phone packages. That's why it isn't supported by NoMoRobo.
FIOS digital Voice is along the lines of a VOIP service, which offers the features necessary for it to work.

BTW, NoMoRobo isn't compatible with multiple lines that use hunting to bounce from one to other.

Robert
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 12, 2017 03:16PM
.....stop giving your digits at bars when you are drunk.....to Robos.......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 391
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015