advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $157.21 ( -0.29 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Has anyone used a Progressive Insurance Snapshot on their car?
Posted by: MacJeepster
Date: January 11, 2017 12:05PM
The reviews on these things are all over the place.
Are they safe for your car? How annoying are they?
I don't drive a lot these days and I drive gently; I like the concept of saving money.

-mj
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Has anyone used a Progressive Insurance Snapshot on their car?
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: January 11, 2017 12:18PM
State Farm now has it as an option in some areas.

Think about your driving very hard for the last six months. Did you ever speed, even once (it doesn't matter that you were the slowest on the freeway)? Have the accelerator floored going up an on ramp? Did you swerve or brake hard, even in a parking lot?

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 11, 2017 12:26PM
What Fill said. I expect the insurance companies will use it against you FAR more often than they would to lower your rate.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: January 11, 2017 02:39PM
They have NO idea that you are merging on the freeway from a very short ramp, and really need to accelerate. Or that your panic stop was because an accident just happened in front of you.
Posted by: billb
Date: January 11, 2017 02:40PM
Is your privacy worth up to 30 % off ?

The device will beep and ding you every time you decelerate ( not brake )faster than a specified threshold.
They also supposedly ding you for driving during the drunk driving hours.

Supposedly those are the only two parameters they
use to determine any discount.
I bet they collect a lot more data whether they use it or not.

Most supposedly find they stop faster more often than they think they do.
This is modifiable behaviour and with the little doohickey beeping every time you slow down just a wee too fast you'll eventually stop doing that. In theory making you a better driver.

But are you now going thru yellow and red lights rather than stepping on the brake so it doesn't set off the little tattle-tale device ?
Is that a "better " driver ?

I wouldn't mind plugging in a beeper just to assess what I think are my driving skills and habits, but I would only want me privy to that info. Good or bad.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin

BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 11, 2017 02:45PM
We had the Progressive devices a few years ago, right about when they started offering them. Had them on two vehicles, my pickup, and my elderly Pop's ride. Couldn't get one for my '85 Trans Am, as it didn't have the computer diagnostic port.

They're safe, as far as I know. all you do is plug them in, and they weren't annoying at all. You wouldn't even know they were operating, once installed.

The old guy's ride stayed in the garage most of the summer, as I drive him to all appointments out of our tiny little town and he mostly drove the side x side bopping around, when he did get behind the wheel.

That said, it DID reduce our premiums by several hundred dollars, and you can go to their website and see what you can do to improve your driving while being evaluated. I was prone to hard braking and once I was aware of it, I managed to improve my score. Rarely driving at night was another thing that improved my score. I imagine if you're driving around during "last call" there might be negative results.

I think my Pop's limited driving, and me being retired from my day job made a difference. A whole lot less driving, for sure.

All in all, I would recommend the gizmo. We certainly benefited from them.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 11, 2017 02:48PM
> The device will beep...

What? That must be new. Our units never made a sound.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: ArtP
Date: January 11, 2017 02:57PM
Also DO NOT USE SNAPSHOT in winter in a Snow state - wait until majority of months with perfect weather.

I made the mistake of using it during Jan - about March. After a snow storm before side streets were clear - you spin tires to get traction or pull out of snow drifts - snapshot thinks you are drag racing - going from standing 0 to 60.

Also if roads are icy - it notes the Anti-lock brakes as a hard stop even if you are being extra cautious and brake in pleanty of time.

It also uses GPS too I think, It knows when you speed even if you are keeping up with flow of traffic.

After viewing the report after a few months during winter - I gave up - unplugged it - no way I was going to get a discount.

If you try it - use it during a time when you do very little driving and make sure weather is perfect.

You do better threatening to jump to a competitor to try and get a reduced rate. Try and grab a few quotes and try and go thru customer retention. After the snapshot fail - that's what I did with Progressive. I'm in Michigan where insurance companies fetish rape you with latex, whips, and the little ball in your mouth on rates.

It dropped my rate by $25 for 6 months which is probably better than Snapshot would have done if it had "worked".
Posted by: ArtP
Date: January 11, 2017 03:06PM
Rick-o
> The device will beep...

What? That must be new. Our units never made a sound.

That was another problem - the beeps would piss me off. You SAFELY brake to avoid some idiot and IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT but it counts against you.

Like mentioned above - it does make you aware so you drive somewhat better but again I am in Michigan where EVERYBODY drives. It only monitors what YOU do - not what is happening around you.

I wonder if the newer cars with the blind side sensors and collision avoidance radar report to the snapshot device so when you get cut off by a idiot lane change - the device knows that is why you braked hard.
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 11, 2017 03:31PM
The insurance company is pushing it, when was the last time they watched out for your interests?

Yeah, I can't remember back that far either. I'll pass.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: Mr645
Date: January 11, 2017 04:38PM
The main factors is uses are if the ABS brakes are used, and what time your driving.
Date: January 12, 2017 06:28AM
Thanks everyone for the wide range of well-thought-out opinions.
I have no illusions that the insurance company has anything but it own interests at heart. However, it's not as if you could just opt to not deal with any insurance company.
I figure If I can show I'm a way-above-average driver, it's in the company's interest to keep me paying in, with less likelihood it'll have to pay out.
There is he privacy angle, of course, but I'm accepting that in far greater detail on my phone.
And as for the occasional quick stops, everyone's going to have some of them, I'm sure it all comes out in the wash once the actuaries start crunching the numbers.
Final point, I don't think these units have GPS like our Maps apps. I'll ask Progressive, but I don't think they know if you're driving 5 MPH over the speed limit or not. I plan to cll up and quiz them. That would be a deal-breaker for me.
btw I have a 2017 Hyundai Elantra with all the tech: Lane changing alarms, backup camera cell service.
BTW, when I called the dealership to bring the car in for it's 3,00-mile check, yesterday. I asked the service manager if this dongle would be bad the car. He said it won't hurt it at all.

-mj
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: January 12, 2017 07:42AM
MacJeepster
Final point, I don't think these units have GPS like our Maps apps. I'll ask Progressive, but I don't think they know if you're driving 5 MPH over the speed limit or not. I plan to cll up and quiz them. That would be a deal-breaker for me.

Keep in mind that Interstates pretty much all top out at 70mph, but most traveling is done at closer to 80. That would be dinging you if you are on interstates much.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Date: January 12, 2017 08:21AM
I think there's a place online where you can see what they have on you.
Will anyone with this device let us know exactly what's there?
I usually set the cruise for 72 on 65 mph roads; I've heard driving overly slow is almost as dangerous as driving overly fast.

-mj
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 12, 2017 08:33AM
There is NO WAY IN HELL I'll ever have one of those in my car -- I just drive too damn fast.

It is what it is.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 12, 2017 08:52PM
how about getting a cheap car for 6 months, register it with a different company, drive your new car less during this time and get the nice insurance discount, and once the progressive asks you to return the gizmo, you sell the old car and drive your new car again on a regular basis?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 340
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015