Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $169.90 ( -0.06 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Myths & Facts :: MacOS' iTunes
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: January 11, 2017 12:43PM
I have kept my Santa Rosa MBP @10.6.8, so my... digital life... has been put on hold for a long time.
With miniLives finally in the picture, once again I have a modern OS available, and I'm beginning to get everything in order -- including my iTunes Library.

So, I started copying my oldest library, the one from my Titanium MBP, that I never imported into the SR. This lib had many years of my CDs imported, with ratings, album art, and everything that a good Boy Scout would procure... And that was my starting point
Next, the library I had in the SR; I never kept that one tidy like the other. It was mainly free stuff from iTunes, some downloads from the net, a couple of iTunes Store purchases, and selected imports from CDs.

I don't know why I dreaded merging these two so much:
- Opt-click iTunes to choose the lesser library
- File/Library/Export Library so the whole thing would be saved xml
- Opt-click iTunes to select the main library
- File/Library/Import Library two merge lib2 with main library
And that was it... I went through the new library, first running the find duplicates and find real duplicates command, and cleaning what was evidently rubbish (too many Gibson stuff that, while very enjoyable, I did not intend to keep forever).

Facts:
- iTunes has changed a lot, but is very easy to make it look and behave like before. Even the width of my columns are like they were c.y2k.
- Cmd-opt-S opens the left-side bar, Selecting "Songs" gives the exact same layout I'm used to, and cmd-1 through 9 cycles between kind of media.
- The "Albums" layout is beautiful, filled with the art of the albums I am so fond of, beginning with AC/DC. I start typing "bri"and takes me straight to Britney Spears, "kro" to the Kronos Quartet, "pri" to my beloved Prince album art, "ray", "ru", "sod"... you get the picture.

Next, I enabled iCloud Music Library from iTunes prefs making sure "Ad songs to library..." was kept unchecks.
Then, magic happened: My whole library showed up in my iPhone... Life is great.

I'm keeping cyber-silverware near, so I can have some humble pie if needed. But so far, I don't get the nasty reputation iTunes.app has amassed.

Share if you please.

• back to confinement
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Myths & Facts :: MacOS' iTunes
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: January 11, 2017 12:58PM
rich in distress
But so far, I don't get the nasty reputation iTunes.app has amassed.

That makes at least two of us.
Posted by: hal
Date: January 11, 2017 01:05PM
rich in distress
I'm keeping cyber-silverware near, so I can have some humble pie if needed. But so far, I don't get the nasty reputation iTunes.app has amassed.

So you've set it up...

...but have you used it yet?

Please come back with an update after a week - I've love to hear a detailed writeup of your overall experience.
Date: January 11, 2017 01:33PM
So far I have listened to music I had not heard in a decade or so...
Please point me towards the clusterfsck. confused smiley

• back to confinement
Posted by: ArtP
Date: January 11, 2017 02:37PM
Article Accelerator
rich in distress

Wait until you start to use it and it shoves Apple Music deep down your throat at every click - lol
Posted by: davemchine
Date: January 11, 2017 02:55PM
I think iTunes is too complicated for what it does. It is also missing a LOT of features that it should have by now. The interface tries to be pretty rather than functional. Syncing to an IOS device is usually a disaster requiring multiple tries. Now that Apple is promoting streaming and cloud based libraries I don't think they have any reason to improve iTunes. I've been waiting for a third party to enter the scene but nothing truly competitive so far. I would like something with the file management abilities of iTunes (or better) and the features of Plex.
Posted by: sekker
Date: January 11, 2017 03:24PM
Going from iTunes on 10.6 to iTunes 2016 - I cannot think of any aspect of the interface that's an improvement.

And it's a REAL PITA to sync with iOS devices, in my experience.
Date: January 11, 2017 06:49PM
I have to confess, this is not the first time I'm in contact with recently minted iTunes apps.
I upgraded the one in 10.6.8 one time too many (to v11 I think). I didn't like it very much, but then again, I seldom used it. I used youtube or Tunein Radio instead.
Also, with a very limited library, but I have used iOS' iTunes then and again.
I subscribe to Apple Music, so That I know from before. The thing is, you can avoid it if you want.
Cmd-F takes you to the search field. If you click the field instead, it presents you with the option to search "In Library" or "All Apple Music". As far as I can tell, whatever is chosen will stay put, even after quitting the app.
But check this out:
I choose the Artists layout from my library (left sidebar, second option).
Type "lin" and takes me to Lindsay Buckingham, and shows me "Under the Skin" (great record). I don't know why, but I never got around importing "Out of the Cradle" (an even better record imho), but with the Apple Music integration, I go to the bottom of the list and click See more by Lindsey B.. and there it is. I can choose to add it to my library but I don't have to. I can just stream it... Way cool. I then hit Cmd-[ and it takes me back to my library, and it keeps going like the back button on any browser.

To the best of my knowledge, the file management capabilities are still in place.
Today I corrected the info for Prince's The Breakdown so it would conform with the one from the record. Easy peasy, included into the track list w/art and everything.

Granted, I don't sync with devices. I believe that's what the Cloud is for. I don't see any need to carry my whole library on my iPhone all the time. It would cost me at least what Apple Music costs per year, only to have enough memory for it.
So I am instead choosing to stream what I "need". If I'm going to be offline, I could choose what to keep locally. "Choices" I could say, but Apple Music gives me more than enough of that -- just like any other cloud based libraries.

Swear to goodness guys, I'm not trying to antagonize here. I honestly think it's... awesome.

Yet, I need an Alt: I used to keep some unpublished music in iTunes, and I don't want to anymore because iTunes may (and will) take anything not found up into their servers.
I was planning on using VLC for it, maybe even the Finder, but I keep hearing about Plex... I will look into it.

• back to confinement
Date: January 11, 2017 10:34PM
Wether you like iTunes or not completely depends on the features you use.

You mention search working well but Apple actually stripped the previous Power Search capability out of iTunes leaving a very poor version in it's place.

You like the way your library streams from Apple's paid service but Plex can do the same thing without a reoccurring fee. Plex also streams video where Apple's paid service only streams audio.

You mention editing some music's meta data which is definitely a good feature but iTunes doesn't display all of the standard fields that other programs can display. This is most evident with movies and tv shows. Even if all the standard fields are filled using an external editor you can't search on that info inside of iTunes.

iTunes file management is ok but frustrating for large libraries which need to span multiple drives. This forces some of us to buy expensive raid systems.

You mention that you don't sync because that is what iCloud is for but there is no way to sync video via iCloud.

I'm glad that iTunes satisfies all of your needs. Unfortunately to me it seems Apple only develops new features if they can sell it as a re-occuring fee. All the features that should be there by now are missing.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 12, 2017 09:10AM
....for me upgrade is worse.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: January 12, 2017 12:19PM
ArtP
Article Accelerator
rich in distress

Wait until you start to use it and it shoves Apple Music deep down your throat at every click - lol

Date: January 12, 2017 12:50PM
davemchine
You mention search working well but Apple actually stripped the previous Power Search capability out of iTunes leaving a very poor version in it's place.

Dave, we've been over this before:

[forums.macresource.com]

In addition, while iTunes's search field has limited capability, iTunes's smart playlists are quite powerful—they have lots of metadata search choices there and they can be combined to make multi-criteria searches of your own library. In fact, I made a utility smart playlist that I modify as required when I need to do more advanced library searches.

You like the way your library streams from Apple's paid service but Plex can do the same thing without a reoccurring fee. Plex also streams video where Apple's paid service only streams audio.

What free service does Plex stream from?

iTunes doesn't display all of the standard fields that other programs can display. This is most evident with movies and tv shows.

Such as?
Date: January 12, 2017 02:09PM
AA, I went back and read the previous thread and I think you and I simply disagree regarding iTunes. I'll try to answer your most recent points.

1) While I love and use smart playlists they are not a substitute for the old power search. I don't want to create a smart playlist to find a movie to watch this evening.

2) Installing Plex on your home computer allows you to stream any of your media to your IOS and OS X devices for free without the use of a cloud service.

3) Director and Actor fields are probably the most notable missing fields in iTunes. I think Apple may place this information in the Artist field but I'm not positive about that. Ah, I found a website that says it better than I. [www.tekrevue.com]

Users can manually edit some metadata for imported movies, such as title, year, and artwork, but certain information — including plot summaries, cast and crew, and MPAA rating — can’t be edited by the user with the default iTunes interface. Thankfully, Mac users can add complete metadata to their ripped movies with help from a third party utility called Subler.

This discussion may explain the frustration better also, [discussions.apple.com]
Date: January 12, 2017 06:16PM
davemchine
... you don't sync because that is what iCloud is for...

I need to clarify this -- and here is a big split in the road for users: I said I believe that's what the cloud is for, Cloud the concept, not iCloud the service.
I went that route years ago, while bingeing on ER on DVD. By the 3rd season, the DVDs were coming straight from the store to my Handbrake cue list. I'm pretty sure working the metadata in iTunes was easier then. And it became harder right around the time I was done encoding everything.

Now, because of the cloud, I can open Netflix and binge on it. And the same goes for my music.

Regarding searching, I don't remember Power Search, so I trust you when you say it was better before.
Yet, check this out:

That list scrolls down, and if you click on the blue highlight (or hit enter), everything Ray related will be shown in the interface on the background.

Also, spotlight. If I search in iTunes "missy jay" nothing is found (point given), but the same phrase in spotlight finds "(Back in the Day [feat. Jay-Z]". Hit it, and iTunes opens up and plays... Which brings me to the newest paradigm in searching: Siri.
I still don't have a mic in my setup, but I guess it will be pretty neat, a big feature in Sierra.
I have used it in iOS for very simple queries like "play me some Miles"...

That said, I checked out Plex.tv today and... Wow. It looks really awesome, and so easy to deal with metadata... but as I said, I'm done dealing locally with TV and Movies for the foreseeable future.
I'm intrigued by the DVR beta feature... but it still needs hardware (homerun), and then the new TV app will also be of my interest.

Thanks for your interest guys!

• back to confinement
Posted by: ArtP
Date: January 15, 2017 11:08PM
Article Accelerator
ArtP
Article Accelerator
rich in distress

Almost worked but if I Shazam something and want to buy it on iTunes - it won't let me go to the store. It says Apple Music is required.

It used to be extra clicks/hoops. Click Shazam link - it opens in Apple Music - then I could click to iTunes Store to purchase.

Like I said it shoves Apple music DEEP DOWN your throat....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 221
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015