advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PSA: Check out the letter I received today
Posted by: OWC Jamie
Date: January 13, 2017 11:03PM
I suppose this is a Public Service Announcement, please don't fall for something like this.

I received this letter and check in the mail today - Priority Mail USPS. Not sure how I ended up on this list LOL.

I'm not going to give away the most funny thing about this scam, I'll leave that for you to find on your own, feel free to post what you find below smiling smiley

I can tell you that the check looks good until you get close - no microprinting, color shifting ink, watermarking, etc. The loupe made it clear of course that it was a fake.

Mystery Shopping Survey ce077077 707-403-2336 Daniel Swanson 2800 N. 9th St. Laramie, WY 82072 Shirley Holmes 137 N. 88th Way Mesa AZ 85207 Harold Vaske CorporateResearchInternational[ Soneri Investments Group 10998 S Wilcrest Ste 120 Houston TX 77099 /color]

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PSA: Check out the letter I received today
Posted by: jdc
Date: January 13, 2017 11:17PM
Leia Organa Solo? smiley-laughing001

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: January 13, 2017 11:28PM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the force wasn't really strong with this scam. smiling smiley

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 13, 2017 11:31PM
But what is the extra 30 cents for??
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 13, 2017 11:40PM
Well, the bank seems to exist so it wouldn't be hard to give them a call.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 14, 2017 01:43AM
I googled that phone number, and I was surprised that Google found this thread. The phone number and the entire letter is in a JPEG, so it looks like they OCR JPEGs. The search results show text that only exists in the JPEG.
Posted by: MindMeld
Date: January 14, 2017 07:01AM
Love the signature on the check!
Posted by: rgG
Date: January 14, 2017 07:12AM
GGD
I googled that phone number, and I was surprised that Google found this thread. The phone number and the entire letter is in a JPEG, so it looks like they OCR JPEGs. The search results show text that only exists in the JPEG.

That is very creepy.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: January 14, 2017 07:13AM
oona toota Solo...

• back to confinement
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 14, 2017 07:35AM
rgG
GGD

That is very creepy.

Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: January 14, 2017 09:21AM
Man, the Resistance is getting desperate if they're resorting to this method.

Posted by: richorlin
Date: January 14, 2017 10:27AM
The company is real, but they are listed in Sugarland Texas, not Houston. Texas Sec State lists the company with two owners, both middle-eastern names.
Probably, scamee cashes check and sends Moneygram and then scammer stops payment on the check.
Scamee is out $1500. Or the account doesn't exist and the scamee is also out the money for the Moneygrams.
See the big letters: SCAM

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]

[www.dudeism.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2017 10:28AM by richorlin.
Date: January 14, 2017 10:27AM
Mystery solved. It looks like Google did not OCR the JPEG, instead it looks like OWC Jamie included some text written in invisible ink below the check image. If you select that area you can see it, you can also see it if you quote his post. That's where Google found the phone number.

space-time
rgG
GGD

That is very creepy.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 14, 2017 10:34AM
One thing to add, since it was sent through the US Post Office, the postal inspectors might be interested in having the material and envelope. They do put some of these scammers out of business every so often, evidence helps.
Date: January 14, 2017 12:04PM
GGD
Mystery solved. It looks like Google did not OCR the JPEG, instead it looks like OWC Jamie included some text written in invisible ink below the check image. If you select that area you can see it, you can also see it if you quote his post. That's where Google found the phone number.

space-time
rgG
GGD

That is very creepy.

I see, good catch. So a few hours later I googled for that random word and google did not find anything. it looks like they do not run OCR on all images posted here, at least not yet.
Posted by: tenders
Date: January 15, 2017 07:18AM
Mail fraud is a big deal and is often the crime that is easiest to prosecute and shuts scams like this down. Another PSA would be to make sure that material and the envelope it came with gets to the FBI.

A big part of me wonders what kind of person is willing to do all this Moneygramming. When was the last time anything legit took place through Moneygram or Western Union?
Date: January 15, 2017 08:00AM
Sorry, I forgot to mention that in my original post I did indeed put all the searchable pertinent information in white text so Google would scrape it. MacResource gets indexed by Google every few hours. Figured it'd help others find it. smiling smiley

I'm going to contact the bank Tuesday after they open back up, I looked Saturday for email contact info at the bank and there is none, just phone numbers.

Good Luck!
Jamie Dresser
Other World Computing
Posted by: datbeme
Date: January 15, 2017 09:19AM
Wow. GGD is Columbo. Great work.
Date: January 15, 2017 10:39AM
datbeme

I did have one other clue that lead me to my discovery. The next day when I looked at this thread from an iOS device I noticed that there was a clickable link with the phone number appearing below the check (clicking offers to add it to contacts).

So I went back and looked at it on my Mac with FireFox again, and didn't see the link but it got me to explore that area of the post and discover the white text.
Date: January 15, 2017 01:11PM
GGD
datbeme

I did have one other clue that lead me to my discovery. The next day when I looked at this thread from an iOS device I noticed that there was a clickable link with the phone number appearing below the check (clicking offers to add it to contacts).

So I went back and looked at it on my Mac with FireFox again, and didn't see the link but it got me to explore that area of the post and discover the white text.

good job, regardless if iOS gave you a clue or not smiling smiley
Posted by: fauch
Date: January 16, 2017 07:08PM
Why would I not just keep ALL of the money and not send them anything? Will they sent a TIE fighter after me? Darth Veder?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 229
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015