advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Fellow old farts, tell me of your cataract surgery...
Posted by: Will Collier
Date: January 24, 2017 10:38AM
Early cataracts run in both sides of my family. My parents both had surgery for them in their early 50's, my (younger) sister had hers done two years ago, and now it's my turn. I'm researching and asking about single-focus vs. multifocus lenses, and would appreciate hearing from your experiences any pros and cons. I'm leaning towards multifocus, as after 30 years of contacts I love the idea of throwing them and my eyeglasses away.

And as for the rest of you whippersnappers...

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Fellow old farts, tell me of your cataract surgery...
Posted by: testcase
Date: January 24, 2017 11:19AM
An 84-year-old friend recently had cataract surgery. Wildly successful; he's VERY happy with the results. Do your due diligence and find an experienced surgeon who has an excellent track record in your area.
Date: January 24, 2017 11:22AM
testcase
An 84-year-old friend recently had cataract surgery. Wildly successful; he's VERY happy with the results. Do your due diligence and find an experienced surgeon who has an excellent track record in your area.

Good advice, I think I'm set on that front. Already had the pre-surgical consult, and the surgeon just beamed when I was able to say "yes" when he asked if I knew what a femtosecond was. I don't think he gets that very often.

My sister and my dad have been haranguing me to get this done for some time now. They both had great results, which seems to be the norm in the overwhelming number of cases:

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
Posted by: lost in space
Date: January 24, 2017 12:05PM
My late brother had it at 72 with no problems. Said his vision was the best it had been in years.

Posted by: Go To Top
Date: January 24, 2017 12:40PM
I have
had 3
in my 70s. i am now 82.
whats the problem?

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Posted by: pipiens
Date: January 24, 2017 01:07PM
It worked for me.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: January 24, 2017 01:33PM
I'm due, probably this year. Here's what my research points out.

Most people are pretty satisfied with whatever they get.

There are different kinds of multifocus. The latest ones, that use diffraction or something, look the best to me.

A lot of folks get good results with a closer focus lens in one eye, and a further focus lens in the other eye. There's overlap between the two.

PRO TIP: Try getting contact lenses that will emulate what your cataract lenses will be like. This can give you a feel for what monofocus would be like. A good friend did this, and swears by it.

Info dump:

[www.reviewofophthalmology.com]

[ophthalmologytimes.modernmedicine.com]

[www.wocabstracts.org]

[www.healio.com]

[eyeworld.org]
Posted by: Buzz
Date: January 24, 2017 01:50PM
Make sure to take your v'eye'timans......
==
Posted by: davester
Date: January 24, 2017 02:54PM
Anything is better than being blind. In my 40s I had a cataract in one eye (probably related to a trauma) that went from slightly fuzzy to complete white-out very rapidly. Back then there were no multi-focus lenses. Mine was fixed on infinity so I've had to use reading glasses ever since my regular eye has lost its ability to focus up close due to old age. That's never seemed like a big deal. What was a big deal was that the cataract replacement lens improved my vision in that eye from a pre-cataract 20/40 to a post-surgery 20/15. Sort of like getting superman vision. Fortunately for the ladies though the X-ray vision feature has never worked properly.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: GeneL
Date: January 24, 2017 03:21PM
This is a very painful subject for me (no pun intended).

If I use a blade to shave I am at risk of losing a lot of blood if I nick myself because I'm on blood thinners since my recent angioplasties. An electric shaver is also a problem for me because when I shave close I always end up with a ton of ingrown hairs. This leads me to spend hours working on the bumps with a tweezer, which also ends up with difficult to control bleeding.

Even without the added problems due to the blood thinners, I have had an issue with picking on my ingrown hairs, since I was a teenager. It's an uncomfortable form of OCD that has plagued me for years. I have often wished that I could just get rid of my beard entirely, since I really like to be clean shaven.

I've been using an Oster professional trimmer for some time now, but it takes too long to get a shave this way and the trimmer becomes exceedingly hot before I finish shaving.

I have thought about an adaptation of a foil shaver that wouldn't shave too close, but I don't have a way to create what I have imagined. It would be great if I could work with a manufacturer to design such a product. I'm very sure that there would be a huge market for such a device, based on the many reviews of shaving products where others have complained about the same problem with ingrown hairs.

Years ago I was connected with a company that had been manufacturing "crock pots" from the time they were introduced in the mid-70s. I suggested a design improvement which was implemented and 250,000 of my design were sold in a very short time. I mention this to underline the success of my creative product ideas.

It would be great if someone on the forum has a way to "hook me up" with a company that might be able to implement my idea.

If I had the money, I would do what Victor Kiam did when he purchased the Remington Shaver company.

In the meantime, I just ran across the slanted bar double edge razor that I purchased from Hammacher Schlemmer in Manhattan back in the late '50s, before I came to California. It's such a beautifully made design.

Too bad, that I can't use it.

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: January 24, 2017 03:35PM
Hey GeneL, maybe you need cataract surgery! smiley-laughing001

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Date: January 24, 2017 05:43PM
This is a very painful subject for me (no pun intended).

If I use a blade to shave I am at risk of losing a lot of blood if I nick myself because I'm on blood thinners since my recent angioplasties. An electric shaver is also a problem for me because when I shave close I always end up with a ton of ingrown hairs. This leads me to spend hours working on the bumps with a tweezer, which also ends up with difficult to control bleeding.

Even without the added problems due to the blood thinners, I have had an issue with picking on my ingrown hairs, since I was a teenager. It's an uncomfortable form of OCD that has plagued me for years. I have often wished that I could just get rid of my beard entirely, since I really like to be clean shaven.

I've been using an Oster professional trimmer for some time now, but it takes too long to get a shave this way and the trimmer becomes exceedingly hot before I finish shaving.

I have thought about an adaptation of a foil shaver that wouldn't shave too close, but I don't have a way to create what I have imagined. It would be great if I could work with a manufacturer to design such a product. I'm very sure that there would be a huge market for such a device, based on the many reviews of shaving products where others have complained about the same problem with ingrown hairs.

Years ago I was connected with a company that had been manufacturing "crock pots" from the time they were introduced in the mid-70s. I suggested a design improvement which was implemented and 250,000 of my design were sold in a very short time. I mention this to underline the success of my creative product ideas.

It would be great if someone on the forum has a way to "hook me up" with a company that might be able to implement my idea.

If I had the money, I would do what Victor Kiam did when he purchased the Remington Shaver company.

In the meantime, I just ran across the slanted bar double edge razor that I purchased from Hammacher Schlemmer in Manhattan back in the late '50s, before I came to California. It's such a beautifully made design.

Too bad, that I can't use it.

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Date: January 24, 2017 05:47PM
Whoops! No sleep last night, so I just realized that I posted my shaving comment in the wrong place.

Oh my!

gl @ Dana Point, CA
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: January 24, 2017 05:49PM
Old farts? I admit to flatulence but I can kick and stretch with the best of them!

Date: January 24, 2017 05:53PM
GeneL
Whoops! No sleep last night, so I just realized that I posted my shaving comment in the wrong place.

Oh my!

I spent several minutes there wondering whether Gene was putting me on, being comically obscure, or had just gone off the deep end. Reality was even funnier.
Posted by: billb
Date: January 24, 2017 06:05PM
GeneL

Oh my!

Twice, hours apart. Does that mean you fell asleep ?

You're a great guy Gene. Hope you get some better sleep.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: wurm
Date: January 24, 2017 07:10PM
anonymouse1
A lot of folks get good results with a closer focus lens in one eye, and a further focus lens in the other eye. There's overlap between the two.

That's what my guy did. Had one eye done in June of '06 and the other in January of '07. I just had my annual eye exam last week and my vision has not changed in the past ten years. This is after having to wear glasses since I was about 8. While I wasn't thrilled to have had cataracts, I am thrilled with the result of the surgery.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: January 25, 2017 06:16PM
My eyes became naturally one farsighted, one nearsighted, so I got the plain old lenses and continue as before.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 97
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018