advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $151.89 ( -1.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Can I connect a Mac to LAN but not to internet?
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 25, 2017 11:33AM
I have an older machine and I want to run SL (10.6.8) and I want to be able to access files shared on a local network, printers, iTunes libaries, etc, but I don't want this machine to go online since SL no longer gets security updates.

I have an Apple Airport router, and I use Comcast (only modem, not their WiFi combo). How can I prevent the machine from going online outside my LAN?

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Can I connect a Mac to LAN but not to internet?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 25, 2017 11:41AM
Most routers have the ability to restrict Internet access by particular machines. You should be able to set this one Mac to not be able to send or receive over the outbound connection to Comcast. Someone familiar with the Airport should be able to give more specifics. You may need to set the one machine to a fixed IP address on your LAN, or the restriction might be done by MAC address.
Posted by: space-time
Date: January 25, 2017 11:44AM
JoeH
Most routers have the ability to restrict Internet access by particular machines. You should be able to set this one Mac to not be able to send or receive over the outbound connection to Comcast. Someone familiar with the Airport should be able to give more specifics. You may need to set the one machine to a fixed IP address on your LAN, or the restriction might be done by MAC address.

Good idea, will take a look at the Airport settings... I remember the old version in 10.6.8 seemed to have more options than the new Airport Utility in 10.9 and up.

Also, I wonder if I can mess up with DNS servers, like to put some bogus DNS servers on that machine so it never finds the correct IPs to go online? but that would probably not help with incoming connections. I could enable FireWall for that.

Any other ideas?
Posted by: GGD
Date: January 25, 2017 11:51AM
I've never played with the Parental Control settings, maybe there are some settings there to prohibit internet access, or maybe access to specific apps that could be used to access the internet (Browsers).
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 25, 2017 12:01PM
You may find the ability to create access restrictions under Timed Access Control. Define a policy for the one machine and restrict its access for all 24 hours. From a quick Google search this appears to be where it is done on Airport routers.

On my Linksys router this is done under a Access Restrictions tab. Up to 10 different policies can be defined, for all 24 hours or just part of a day. They can be set to apply to just one system specified by MAC or IP number, or to a range of IP numbers and affect more than one system.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2017 12:26PM by JoeH.
Posted by: Schpark
Date: January 25, 2017 12:17PM
JoeH
You may find the ability to create access restrictions under Timed Access Control. Define a policy for the one machine and restrict its access for all 24 hours. From a quick Google search this appears to be where it is done on Airport routers.

On my Linksys router this is done under a Access Restrictions tab. Up to 10 different policies can be defined, for all 24 hours or just part of a day. They can be set to apply to just one system specified by MAC or IP number, or to a range of IP numbers and affect me than one system.

Yes, timed access control will work. I use this to limit the hours Netflix can be used on certain devices. I also turn off access as a punishment for my teenager.

Addendum: I just looked at my settings and I think this disables all wireless access so it may not do what you want.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2017 12:19PM by Schpark.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 25, 2017 12:43PM
....only if LAN gives you permission....if he/she doesn't then you can't connect the mac to him/her.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2017 12:54PM by NewtonMP2100.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: January 25, 2017 12:45PM
JoeH
You may find the ability to create access restrictions under Timed Access Control. Define a policy for the one machine and restrict its access for all 24 hours.

This.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 246
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015