advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
headed to key west end of march-need recommendations
Posted by: robfilms
Date: January 30, 2017 07:51PM
my most wonderful wife-and she is!-has a lifelong friend who has a daughter who is getting married in key largo at the end of march.

we were in the hospital room hours after the gal was born and that was nearly 29 years ago and even though we live in metro nyc, how could we not attend such festivities.

(in this wacky and wild world, where anything can happen in a moment, we are of the opinion that you need to ALWAYS celebrate the joys)

anyway, i have never been to the florida keys so we tagged 4 days after the wedding to drive around and explore.

any and all recommendations accepted for:

miami restaurants going to or from the miami airport.
anyplace or anything good enough to warrant a stop that is located from key largo to key west.
anyplace or anything interesting in or near boyton beach, fla.
(i need to spend one night visiting my elderly aunt-she is the last of her generation so why not!)

any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

be well.

rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2017 07:51PM by robfilms.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: headed to key west end of march-need recommendations
Posted by: digby
Date: January 30, 2017 10:09PM
robfilms
my most wonderful wife... has a lifelong friend who has a daughter who is getting married in key largo...

You do realize that Key Largo is a good dozen or so keys from Key West, right? About two hours (100 Mi or so).

The point is, if you're driving down from Miami, you'll barely be in "The Keys". But I wouldn't let that stop me; I'd get out of Key Largo asap and drive down to Key West. Maybe stop and snorkel/scuba along the way, or visit the Dolphin Research Center in Grassy Key (Mile 59 -- mile zero = Key West).

The first time I was in Key West it was a sleepy little town, the next time most of downtown had become shops full of cheap tourist tchotchkes. So maybe you'll find less spoiled spots on your drive down.

Here's a map: Key Largo to Key West.

My wife discovered a great way to find good food in the keys. Avoid any place with spaces available in the parking lot. Look for the mom 'n' pop seafood spots that are packed with New York plates. Those are the regular snowbirds who know their crawdads and hush puppies. We stumbled on a little family style shrimp 'n' gumbo joint this way. Mmmmmm...
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 31, 2017 06:46AM

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: January 31, 2017 08:46AM
digby-

thanks for sharing.

any yes, that is a great movie poster!

anyone else care to share?

be well.

rob
Posted by: rz
Date: January 31, 2017 09:14AM
If you don't like fishing, snorkeling or diving, there's really not a lot in the keys to do otherwise. There are only a handful of sand beaches there... I think there was one in Key Largo, one in Bahia Honda state park and one or two in Key West.
Posted by: Markiscool
Date: January 31, 2017 09:54AM
One or my favorite places to eat is in Key West. The place is called Blue Heaven. It is a hole in the wall, but has AMAZING breakfasts. If you are historical, Hemmingway's house is around the corner from Blue Heaven (which is how we stumbled on it a few years ago). I also suggest the sundown celebration in Key West. Good stuff there!

You can also stop and hand feed tarpon at a place either in Key Largo or Islamorada (I can't remember which). That was pretty neat.

-M
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 31, 2017 10:08AM
......don't forget Key Lime pie.....this is where it originated from......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: mikebw
Date: January 31, 2017 11:16AM
You should definitely check out the Dolphin Research Center on Grassy Key (near Marathon).
Date: January 31, 2017 01:04PM
all of the above sounds great!

keep the ideas coming pimp smiley

be well.

rob
Posted by: jawg
Date: January 31, 2017 08:39PM
Louie's Back Yard. Food and Drink on the water. A Key West landmark.
Day Trip snorkeling excursions if you want to get wet.
Deep Sea Fishing if you are interested in that sort of thing.

Posted by: A-Polly
Date: January 31, 2017 10:39PM
I know it seems crazy to those who only want to eat seafood, but this place in Key West was truly excellent:
[www.lacreperiekeywest.com]
It's a small place. You can sit at the bar and watch them make your crepe or galette (or not). So, so good.

Have a great trip!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 275
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018