advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $151.89 ( -1.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
So who is signing up for CBS All Access to Watch Star Trek Discovery?
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: February 02, 2017 10:04AM
[www.cbs.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So who is signing up for CBS All Access to Watch Star Trek Discovery?
Posted by: Schpark
Date: February 02, 2017 10:16AM
Is there a way to check out the details without signing up for a free trial? Seems all these services like to hide them.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 02, 2017 10:28AM
...or for 'The Good Fight'.....???

......remember the first episode for both will be on CBS but the subsequent one are on CBS Access.....no one is going to pay to watch them.....

.....the free trial will only work if they release all the episodes at once (like Netflix), which I don't believe they are (it will be a new show every week), so the trial will only get 4 episodes under your belt......

....I'll just wait until they eventually rerun them on free network or are released on dvd......no rush.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 02, 2017 10:43AM
I think I'll wait seven years, then binge-watch the entire series.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: February 02, 2017 10:53AM
I'm not paying for TV, regardless. OTA all the way.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 02, 2017 10:53AM
Nope...
Not going back to paying for TV.
If it ain't on Netflix or Hulu or Amazon, I ain't watching.
And yes, I realize that that is actually "paying for TV".... But I'm sure not going to pay any MORE than I am now!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: gabester
Date: February 02, 2017 11:04AM
Not paying for TV on principal - unless it comes completely commercial free and as part of the content service I am already subscribed to. I shouldn't have to have multiple subscriptions to watch everything I want.

Therefor not watching. Not even sure I care, with other good stuff to watch like the Expanse and Man in the High Castle.

g=
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 02, 2017 11:13AM
Acer

Pretty much. I'll wait till Netflix or my local library gets it.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: February 02, 2017 12:02PM
What will be interesting to see is if anything/everything owned by CBS Television becomes exclusive to their app/channel. *Someone* in middle management at CBS is pushing hard to bring all the STAR TREK series (all are owned by CBS) to the channel and make them exclusive there; I guarantee it.

I see what Paul F. is saying about paying for TV; Netflix and Hulu are kind of a different animal in pay-view, but that's what CBS All Access is aiming to be.

I subscribe to HBOnow for a few months out of the year as we approach Game Of Thrones time, then I binge watch older series (annual re-watch of Band of Brothers, anyone?), see what movies are playing (just watched a few older ones I loved; What's Up, Doc? and Brewster's Millions, of all things), and give any new series/documentaries a try (looking forward to Westworld).

Keep the subscription; no way. $15/mo is way too much for what they offer, IMO.

CBS All Access is, what, $5/mo? That's a good target point for what it is. Less than a meal at McDonalds, more or less. I can stomach that, no puns intended.

Hulu & Netflix at about $12 to $14 / mo. are palatable for what you get. I'm always finding something new (or new to me) to watch at Hulu, or catch up on series from my past that I used to watch (just watched a handful of Taxi episodes last night ("Did you see it, Reager, it was horrible!") (name that moment), am watching several excellent British police procedurals ("Line of Duty" is highly recommended).

The Netflix original series make the subscription an even better deal, and there's a lot we (as a family) watch on it.

I'm still pissed I can't get access to more content on some channels (e.g., Disney XD) without a cable subscription. I know these are tied to old contracts and old ways of thinking, but the whole point of my streaming box is because I dropped cable TV and its arcane setup.

Posted by: MacJeepster
Date: February 02, 2017 12:38PM
I only want to see ''The Good Fight,' but I'm not about to pony up whatever to watch just that.
CBS also owns Showtime. Since I'm a subscriber, tt would be great id they would put the whole season there when it's over.

-mj
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: February 02, 2017 02:18PM
I think I'll wait two years, then binge-watch the entire series
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: February 02, 2017 06:21PM
Star Trek was the +1 that put me over the top in subscribing to CBS Watch.

I'm REALLY missing Homeland on Showtime right now, but $10.99 a month is too steep for a single show.

Hmmm, just found out I can get Showtime for $8.99 a month and Billions is starting its second season Feb. 19. That might be the recipe for getting me back on board. Throw $54.00 in a bank account and forget about it until the reminder I set up on my phone prompts me to cancel again.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: February 02, 2017 06:48PM
Not planning on signing up for it, though I'm quite interested in the new Trek. I'll studiously ignore all news about it and wait for it to hit Hulu.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 03, 2017 03:08AM
Acer

popcorn smileypopcorn smileypopcorn smileypopcorn smileypopcorn smileypopcorn smileypopcorn smileypopcorn smileypopcorn smileypopcorn smileypopcorn smileypopcorn smileypopcorn smileypopcorn smileypopcorn smileypopcorn smileypopcorn smileypopcorn smileypopcorn smileypopcorn smileypopcorn smileypopcorn smileypopcorn smileypopcorn smileypopcorn smileypopcorn smileypopcorn smileypopcorn smileybarf smiley
Posted by: Sam3
Date: February 03, 2017 08:20AM
gabester
Not paying for TV on principal - unless it comes completely commercial free and as part of the content service I am already subscribed to. I shouldn't have to have multiple subscriptions to watch everything I want.

Therefor not watching. Not even sure I care, with other good stuff to watch like the Expanse and Man in the High Castle.

g=

We signed up for it a while ago, and I forget what the reason was. I've never gotten around to quitting it, but now my family is hooked on CBS shows and probably would object if I tried quitting. They are trying to talk me into upping the subscription so we can avoid the commercials. CBS All Access has a 2nd tier at $9.99/month that is commercial free, but the basic CBS All Access is $5.99 with limited commercials. The commercials can get very annoying rather quickly as they tend to be the same 4-5 spots always in rotation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 305
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015