advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
penny for your thoughts?!....if you see a penny, do you still pick it up....??
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 02, 2017 03:49PM
Poll
If you see a penny, do you pick it up? [ can my any coinage ]
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
41 votes were received.
yes (grew up during Depression so still value money, no matter how small) 9

22%
yes (just superstitious) 4

10%
yes (out of habit only) 20

49%
no (penny is worth nothing now) 8

19%

.....it can also be any coinage......nickel, dime, quarter [ and more indicative of the times that we live in? ]......

....saved for a year and got over $5.......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2017 04:19PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: penny for your thoughts?!....if you see a penny, do you still pick it up....??
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 02, 2017 04:18PM
If possible. But bending hurts some days, so I don't. I try to spend pennies as fast as I bring them in.

But earlier this week I brutally abused four pennies by drilling holes in them and using them as washers to fix my comfy recliner. Too many young adults of large sizes have been leaping into it. Grrr. My chair ! (Except when my wife's Cat takes ownership.)

You try and buy a 7/16" washer for a penny !
Re: penny for your thoughts?!....if you see a penny, do you still pick it up....??
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: February 02, 2017 04:22PM
Heck yeah, I'll pick it up. Only 99 more, and you've got a dollar

Dave

Welcome to Dave's BBQ!

Many have eaten here....

Few have died
Posted by: prymsnap
Date: February 02, 2017 04:42PM
If it's heads up: pick it up. Face down: flip it over and leave it there.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: February 02, 2017 04:48PM
DinerDave
Heck yeah, I'll pick it up. Only 99 more, and you've got a dollar

Dave

Si.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: artie67
Date: February 02, 2017 05:16PM
It cost more to make a penny than it's worth, but the copper might be worth more than a cent. On your marks, get set, GO! I'm having a beer.
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 02, 2017 05:18PM
artie67
It cost more to make a penny than it's worth, but the copper might be worth more than a cent. On your marks, get set, GO! I'm having a beer.

There's very little copper in any modern penny.

I thought the aluminum coins that the East Germans made were kind of cutesy. Toss them up in the air, and the breeze blows them away.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 02, 2017 05:28PM
freeradical
artie67

There's very little copper in any modern penny.

I thought the aluminum coins that the East Germans made were kind of cutesy. Toss them up in the air, and the breeze blows them away.

Aluminum French francs during WW II were that way also.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: February 02, 2017 05:50PM
No, but not for the reason listed.

I don't need that penny, but I've seen and met a lot of people that could really use a just a few of those pennies to get them over the hump to affording something they need. Found money, even a few pennies, can be a godsend when you're down on your luck.

I'll do that for pretty much anything up to a quarter.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 02, 2017 05:58PM
YES!!

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: tlh828
Date: February 02, 2017 07:30PM
I stoop for money.
Posted by: digby
Date: February 02, 2017 07:52PM
I noticed a penny because of the wheat sheaves on it. Picked it up, looked it up online and it was worth a whole 15¢.

So I stopped at a hobby shop, found the penny folders (those blue booklets that kids put their vintage penny finds in). Found the 1940D slot and slipped it in. Still can't stop thinking about the happy kid* that brings his folder home and spies the Bonus Wheat Penny.

*No, I'm not entertaining the possibility that a store employee will clean it out, or that the folder will be bought by some rich old dude who doesn't need a 1940D, or 15¢.
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: February 03, 2017 05:36AM
Yes because it's free money.
I didn't vote in your poll because none of the explanations fit. The first one came the closest, but I didn't grow up during the Depression.
I won't pick 'em up if they look grimy, though.

bunny smileyCentral VA
Posted by: gabester
Date: February 03, 2017 10:23AM
prymsnap
If it's heads up: pick it up. Face down: flip it over and leave it there.

That's what I usually do...

digby
So I stopped at a hobby shop, found the penny folders (those blue booklets that kids put their vintage penny finds in). Found the 1940D slot and slipped it in. Still can't stop thinking about the happy kid* that brings his folder home and spies the Bonus Wheat Penny.

That's pretty awesome. Much better than just flipping it...

Did you know you can HEAR the difference between a pre-1984 copper penny and a 1983 or newer zinc one? (I overlapped those dates because 1983 was a transition year and both were produced.)

When dropped on a smooth surface in a relatively quiet environment, the copper ones have a distinct, metallic-ping resonance where as the zinc ones just plink on impact.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 03, 2017 12:55PM
Silver coins ring when dropped.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: February 03, 2017 03:11PM
I didn't grow up during the depression, but everything else about the first answer fits me so I went with that. I don't see much point in passing up money, even tiny money.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 351
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018