advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $143.81 ( +1.54 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Teachers recorded playing MFK game. Right to privacy?
Posted by: DP
Date: February 15, 2017 05:23PM
Big controversy here in lower MI. Bangor, MI teachers after work recorded playing a "game" known as MFK where you tell the others who you would marry, f---, or kill amongst your co-workers. Someone at the restaurant recorded it and now it's big controversy. Various punishments were meted out and two resigned.
But, interestingly, while no one is defending the teachers (originally, it was said they named some students, but that has been since disproved), some are saying that the person who recorded the game and posted it to YouTube under a handle, should be held accountable for the video too. Did that person have the right to record this and post it to the world? It has gotten a lot of hits and it's gone world wide.
Also, I've never heard or "played" this game but has anyone else heard of it? Played it?

The video – recorded on Jan 13 – shows a group of Bangor Schools’ employees playing a game called “MFK,” where they’re given a list of three people and forced to choose who they would marry, have sex with, or kill.

[fox17online.com]

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Teachers recorded playing MFK game. Right to privacy?
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 15, 2017 05:32PM
As long as it isn't against the law, teachers, like anyone else, have the right to do whatever they wish when they are on their own time and away from the school premises. When did we as a society lose sight of that basic fact?

It is what it is.
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 15, 2017 05:46PM
N-OS X-tasy!
As long as it isn't against the law, teachers, like anyone else, have the right to do whatever they wish when they are on their own time and away from the school premises. When did we as a society lose sight of that basic fact?

For Teachers?
They've always been held to "community standards" differently than others, and always been "legislated" as role models.
Whether they should be is a different question.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: max
Date: February 15, 2017 06:07PM
N-OS X-tasy!
+1....
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 15, 2017 06:12PM
If they want teachers to follow school district policy and guidelines and essentially be teachers 24/7, they need to bump up the pay 3 fold.

AS long as what you are doing on your own time doesn't affect your work on the clock, and isn't heinously illegal, who cares?
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 15, 2017 06:18PM
What does their contract say?
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 15, 2017 06:45PM
My district tells teachers not to buy alcohol from grocery stores since students will see them. RollingEyesSmiley5

Most ignore that, but it has cost more than one teacher their job by drinking in their home while friends of their school-age children are visiting.

"The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing" -- Socrates
“I’m, like, a really smart person.” -- Donald Trump
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 15, 2017 06:47PM
Well, if you sign a contract specifically saying you won't have that behavior, you just signed away those rights.

Schools care about this, but coaches ruining the lives of their players is OK?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2017 06:48PM by Racer X.
Posted by: Blankity Blank
Date: February 15, 2017 08:05PM
DP
Also, I've never heard or "played" this game but has anyone else heard of it? Played it?
It's been around a long, long time; it seems to pop up sooner or later on most forums I've been on over the years. Usually starts around some subset of celebrities or others, but, as on this case, can focus in on one's own group.

It usually causes complaints and stays or goes depending on the tone the forum mods want set. Some see it as harmless, slightly 'edgy' fun of the 'just a joke' variety. I fall on the side that finds it more of a juvenile display of edginess at best and have no use for it.

Worst permutation I've (indirectly) encountered involved as I understand it a round of the game that eventually spun off into a private subdiscussion that went into particularly graphic detail of what 'I'd like to do to X person' involving specific female members of the group. There was talk it may have even ventured too close to what sounded like possible actual plans to assault someone. Not surprisingly, when this was discovered the board ops shuttered the entire site as a result.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: February 16, 2017 05:43AM
Stupid then.
More stupid now.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: fauch
Date: February 16, 2017 06:24PM
N-OS X-tasy!
THIS...

Though I'm not sure you have a "right to privacy" in public. Be careful what you say, people are ALWAYS listening...
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 16, 2017 09:59PM
fauch
N-OS X-tasy!
THIS...

Though I'm not sure you have a "right to privacy" in public. Be careful what you say, people are ALWAYS listening...

Who said anything about privacy? Not me.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 344
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015