advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The future of transportation -- mobility as a service?
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: February 15, 2017 07:33PM
Poll
Does this vision appeal to you
Only registered users are allowed to vote for this poll.
34 votes were received.
Hell no. You'll have to pry my dirty hands from my steering wheel. 9

26%
Hell yes. I hate the whole ordeal of driving and owning my own vehicles. 5

15%
Maybe. I'm open to it, and willing to see how it develops and what is offered. 16

47%
No, because it wouldn't be practical or feasible due to living situation, or other environmental factors (I live in the boonies). 4

12%
Other. Explain below. 0

0%

Electric drivetrains are old news.

Companies, large and small, old and new, are currently looking to redefine mobility as we know it, and shift to a paradigm where mobility is sold as a service, and personal ownership is a thing of the past.

In these visions of the future, you won't own a car, you will subscribe to one from a manufacturer or provider. It will be able to take you to work, or whatever destination, and after it drops you off, it will go off on its own and perform similar functions for other users, and then come back to take you home.

I've heard this in person from the heads of new startups, where the car is but a vessel, and embodies little other value, as well as former CEOs of traditional car companies who are now working on new ventures.

Of course, this hinges on the successful development and deployment of autonomous vehicles, which is progressing, but probably on a bit of an optimistic timeline.

Does this vision of the future appeal to you?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The future of transportation -- mobility as a service?
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 15, 2017 08:00PM
I dont mind driving -- but cant STAND other drivers. Does that count?

Everyone seems to be in their car doing anything and everything else but actually driving...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 15, 2017 08:06PM
No way. Same reason I won't take a cab.

1. No guarantee it is there when you need it if it isn't actually there all the time.

2. People are gross. I wouldn't want to sit in the same seat some smelly or contagious person was just in. Or sit in someone's food mess they left in the car.

3. Excuses and excuses from a third party that can't deliver what they promised... no thanks.u

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: February 15, 2017 08:35PM
Or maybe there's an even more efficient way...vehicles that could carry multiple passengers at the same time. Maybe they could call them...buses...or maybe trains? Wow, this futuristic stuff is amazing!

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.
- Peter Singer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2017 08:46PM by Yoyodyne ArtWorks.
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 15, 2017 08:44PM
Currently living in a rural area, and I'm going even deeper into the frontier when I move to the U.P. of MI. There probably would be limited service, if any at all.

I'm all for autonomous vehicles, but I would need to own it outright. Perhaps a daily driver, and a motorhome for traveling in my twilight years.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2017 08:46PM by Rick-o.
Posted by: Don C
Date: February 15, 2017 08:49PM
I will need to be convinced that an autonomous car can safely navigate a roadway with no painted line markers on a rainy or snowy night before giving away the controls.

I also don't trust having a clean vehicle when it has been used by any of the many folks who don't have, but need mothers to follow them around to clean up.
Date: February 15, 2017 08:53PM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Or maybe there's an even more efficient way...vehicles that could carry multiple passengers at the same time. Maybe they could call them...buses...or maybe trains? Wow, this futuristic stuff is amazing!

Maybe you have never ridden a bus... but "efficient" might be the last word I would ever use for them. =)

And rural vs suburban vs New York's needs are way, way different, I think we all know that.

I could do an auto car, i think.

----

Posted by: davester
Date: February 15, 2017 09:12PM
I think it is inevitable. The main concerns voiced in posts above surround getting into an icky vehicle. These can be dealt with by the free market. Indeed, car sharing is already huge in may parts of the US and those issues have been dealt with effectively already. The folks worrying about whether they can trust an autonomous car to get them somewhere safely are ignoring the fact that non-autonomous car travel is one of the most dangerous things we do every day. That said, I am a sports car nut so I love the idea of carving up the road in a manually operated primitive sports machine. The ability to do that needs to be preserved, but most US driving (i.e. commuting on freeways) should be converted to autonomous driving as a service IMHO.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: Wags
Date: February 15, 2017 10:30PM
The rich would like to see less traffic, so that's where we're head. It will become too expensive to own and operate your own car unless you make $100k, more or less.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 15, 2017 10:32PM
The issue is going to be parking. Autonomous vehicles means no wasted urban space full of cars that are unused 90% or more of the time.
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 15, 2017 10:46PM
Most of Long Island's land mass has piss poor public transportation. What the OP Is suggesting would only work in an urban or densely populated suburban area.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 15, 2017 10:56PM
sekker
The issue is going to be parking. Autonomous vehicles means no wasted urban space full of cars that are unused 90% or more of the time.

You're going to eliminate rush hours ?
and weekends ?

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: davester
Date: February 15, 2017 11:14PM
For information workers (a very large fraction of urban workers), driving to work is nothing more than a leftover of victorian society. It is a massive waste of resources to no good end. Most transportation of people these daisies utterly useless, and results in negative environmental impacts, annoyance to those being transported, and consumption of time that could be used for more productive activities.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2017 11:16PM by davester.
Date: February 15, 2017 11:33PM
I can see where you are coming with that.

Rarely do we need face to face work interaction -- so instead of bringing everyone to a big building 30 miles away, have 3 smaller buildings and you commute to the closest one... and meet via video or conference call.

----

Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 15, 2017 11:52PM
It's really about "the last mile" as it is typically called. if autonomous vehicles can help with that, it will solve a big problem that has persisted forever.
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: February 16, 2017 07:47AM
Am waiting for the time when we treat automobiles as shopping carts. I don't need to own my own personal shopping cart; I use the first one that is available to me at the grocery store. Leave it for the next person when I'm done.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 16, 2017 08:11AM
We will see. As usual, focused on urban environments..
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 16, 2017 08:40AM
jdc
I can see where you are coming with that.

Rarely do we need face to face work interaction -- so instead of bringing everyone to a big building 30 miles away, have 3 smaller buildings and you commute to the closest one... and meet via video or conference call.

I can actually see a business opportunity there.

Supply office space in suburban areas to companies where employees can come and work under supervision. You put in the hardware, and supply the supervision. Then report back on who showed and if they worked or played solitaire. Telecommute with a trust but verify twist.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Posted by: tenders
Date: February 16, 2017 04:48PM
I think it's hard to make the case that demand for autonomous service vehicle transportation will exceed today's demand for manned taxi and limo service. This is admittedly a big market but it is dwarfed by the number of private miles driven. There are already multiple price points and substitutes for that service; it is a mature market from a demand standpoint. And much of that demand requires somebody in the vehicle to greet or otherwise assist the passenger. Whatever additional demand may be stoked by somewhat cheaper offerings at various comfort levels is probably going to get siphoned away from current bus/train ridership. Not sure that is a big benefit.

I'm not so sure about long-haul miles. Would we find it advantageous to have an autonomous vehicle drive the family from NY to Florida? Gosh, we've already done that on the train, and it mostly sucked. Would I take an overnight autonomous vehicle ride from NY to Pittsburgh for a business trip? I would never do that with a limo now, regardless of price, or a bus for that matter, but maybe I might if the vehicle were really comfortable, like a hotel room. But as the comfort level rises, the cost will too, and that narrows the benefit vs. flying. And the kind of vehicle I might like for the ride to Florida or Pittsburgh might not be the vehicle I'd want to have IN Florida or Pittsburgh.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: February 17, 2017 07:04AM
Between my family and some older relatives I'm responsible for the upkeep of a half-dozen vehicles.

I've got a great independent shop only a few miles away, but as I told the guys last year, "It feels like I'm in here every other week."

Within 5 years (with the kids gone and relatives probably no longer driving) we'll be down to a maximum of 2, preferably 1 vehicle, filling in with ride services as needed.

And I'd love an autonomous vehicle trips up to my oldest's school.
Right now it's an 8-hour ordeal that requires us to travel through cities that are often a traffic nightmare during the day.
With an autonomous vehicle we could start late at night and sleep most of the way, arriving in time for an early breakfast.

And I agree train service down here is terrible - tried that and what was supposed to be a 7 hour trip (with 45 minutes of driving on each end) was 10 hours going up, and 13 hours coming back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2017 07:07AM by Bill in NC.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: February 17, 2017 10:28AM
I feel like we're mixing two concepts: mobility as a service and autonomous transportation.

For the service aspect, I don't see that changing for me anytime in the next few decades. Currently none of those companies offer kids car seats. Even if they did, I don't think I would trust them. People could easily have swapped their own damaged ones for the ones in the car. There's also a fair amount of stuff I keep in a car at all times that I don't want to be taking in and out several times a day. Phone chargers, sunglasses, extra jackets for the kids, emergency kit, roof rack keys... oh, and dealing with a roof rack. No way I'm going to be taking it on and off because I don't own the car its on.

It all boils down to what you use the car for. I tell people who say the purpose of a car is just to get from point A to point B. Fine for them, take a bus. But for me it's much more than that.

As far as fully autonomous driving, I don't think I'll be game for this as long as I'm capable of driving. I don't want my life or my family's life at risk because of the assumption software engineers don't create bugs. I also don't think an autonomous vehicle will ever be able to drive in many of the places I drive.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: tenders
Date: February 18, 2017 01:56PM
> With an autonomous vehicle we could start late at night and sleep most of the way, arriving in time for an early breakfast.

This is the vision, I guess, but would you really be eager to do this in a vehicle like today's vehicles? This is not too different from the two-driver drive-a-tank-apiece-all-night plan, and my tolerance for that pretty much evaporated at age 25. Not because of the driving - but because sleeping in a car is terrible.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 220
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015