advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $142.27 ( -0.17 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
proactive or not? should I replace the attic fan at the same time when replacing the roof?
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 15, 2017 08:20PM
they replace the roofs in our home owners association. These units are 30 years old. I have an attic fan (they call it "Power Vent") which is probably also 30 year old, and comes on when temperature exceed a set limit.

The cost to replace or install a new fan is $235 while on the roof

The cost to replace a power vent retroactive is $340

These do not include the electrical connection, they say I need to call an electrician to do that, but the wires are right there and I think I can do it myself.

While my fan works, it is old and noisy. I am tempted to install a new one, unless the general wisdom says they don't build them like they used to do and the old one will probably last even longer than a new unit. what do you say?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: proactive or not? should I replace the attic fan at the same time when replacing the roof?
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 15, 2017 08:28PM
If it's 30+ years old, I would replace it. The price difference alone would get me on board.

Connecting would be easy peasy as long as you remember to cut the juice before doing the connections.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Re: proactive or not? should I replace the attic fan at the same time when replacing the roof?
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: February 15, 2017 08:33PM
Your HOA may not allow you to make the electrical connections out of concern for fire safety.

All I do is dick around
The sun goes up, the moon goes down
The leaves are green, the leaves are brown
And all I do is dick around.
- Sparks

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.
- Peter Singer
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 15, 2017 08:35PM
I'd replace it without a thought.
Posted by: OWC Larry
Date: February 15, 2017 08:51PM
Not even a 2nd thought- probably even get some additional payback/savings in energy consumption. Gotta believe efficiency has improved over that time span.... and better to replace proactively than have it fail, have the higher cost to replace then + other cost impacts during period where you don't have that heat venting.

OWC Larry
Other World Computing
[www.macsales.com]
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: February 15, 2017 08:52PM
agree smiley

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 15, 2017 08:55PM
I would replace the 30 year old fan without hesitation.
It's spinning on borrowed time as it is.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin

BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: February 15, 2017 08:55PM
Might be a good time to get higher airflow, or to get a very quiet one.
Posted by: tenders
Date: February 15, 2017 10:55PM
Technically an attic fan is a large fan, like a box fan or even larger, mounted in the wall with the flow directed outside. Ours has louvers that more or less keep the inside air, inside, when the fan is off.

It is turned on manually in the evenings, and the windows elsewhere in the house are opened. The fan sucks hot air out of the house and cooler air in through the open windows. Ours has a countdown timer as a switch, so it automatically turns off after an hour.

It puts out quite a breeze and does a nice job cooling the house down quickly after a hot day. It also removes evidence of cooking snafus relatively efficiently.

When we had our house re-roofed and re-sided last year, the contractor asked if we wanted our attic fan removed completely. It's certainly less necessary when you have air conditioning, but no way did we want to get rid of it!
Posted by: billb
Date: February 15, 2017 10:59PM
tenders
Technically an attic fan is a large fan, like a box fan or even larger, mounted in the wall with the flow directed outside. Ours has louvers that more or less keep the inside air, inside, when the fan is off.

It is turned on manually in the evenings, and the windows elsewhere in the house are opened. The fan sucks hot air out of the house and cooler air in through the open windows. Ours has a countdown timer as a switch, so it automatically turns off after an hour.

It puts out quite a breeze and does a nice job cooling the house down quickly after a hot day. It also removes evidence of cooking snafus relatively efficiently.

When we had our house re-roofed and re-sided last year, the contractor asked if we wanted our attic fan removed completely. It's certainly less necessary when you have air conditioning, but no way did we want to get rid of it!

I think he has a roof vent fan. Not a whole house fan.
Save a few bucks at roof replacemnt by not duplicating staging, crew labor and reflashing the fan.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin

BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 16, 2017 12:03AM
Swap it out. I tried to keep an old fan limping along ( and successfully inhaled a lot of vaporized lead when re welding what turned out to be a crappy solder job .. oh ! My brains !). It was a wasted effort.
Date: February 16, 2017 12:11AM
tenders

That is whole house fan. An attic fan vents the attic and hopefully, if sized and vented properly, will keep the attic and roof cool. Unless the attic fan can keep the attic roughly the same as the outside temp, in my opinion, it and the intake vents, are too small.

My attic fan has a temp and humidity sensor. Turns on at 85 degrees, or at 80% humidity. There are times in the spring and fall where it is 100% humidity and foggy. The fan can run for days, moving moist and foggy air through the attic. I have a manual power switch to shut it off during these times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2017 12:16AM by Racer X.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: February 16, 2017 05:34AM
Replace with roof. Becomes part of the tax deduction.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 16, 2017 06:09AM
Thanks folks, will go ahead and replace it. I think they install whatever fan they chose, same for all units, I don't know whether I can ask for a more silent model. I don't have time to shop for one.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 16, 2017 07:14AM
......so you guys are a fan of doing it......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: February 16, 2017 09:00AM
you could likely reduce the noise with isolation washers when you mount it.

"The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing" -- Socrates
“I’m, like, a really smart person.” -- Donald Trump
Posted by: TLB
Date: February 16, 2017 09:54AM
Likely a little lower leak risk if done with the re-roof rather than later on.
Date: February 16, 2017 02:57PM
Ombligo
you could likely reduce the noise with isolation washers when you mount it.

I mounted mine with some 3/8" silicone foam pads. between the mounting tabs and the stringers.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 16, 2017 03:07PM
.....you have a fan in your attic.....??

....a fan of yours or does he/she like some one else......??

.....is he/she also a fan of macs......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 324
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015