advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $153.80 ( -0.19 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
We can enhance using an advanced algorithm...
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: February 16, 2017 09:19AM
Um, maybe there will eventually be a real advanced algorithm that can enhance blurry, low res images?

[www.dpreview.com]

It seems intelligent enhancement of image detail is currently high on the agenda at Google. Recently the company brought its RAISR smart image upsampling to Android devices. Now, the Google Brain team has developed a system that uses neural networking to enhance detail in low-resolution images.

The system uses a two-step approach, with a conditioning network first attempting to map 8×8 source images against similar images with a higher resolution and creating an approximation of what the enhanced image might look like. In a second step, the prior network adds realistic detail to the final output image. It does so by learning what each pixel in a low-resolution image generally corresponds to in higher-res files.

As you can see, the system already works pretty well. In the series of samples above, the images on the left show the 64 pixel source images, while the ones in the middle show the output image that the Google Brain algorithm has produced from them. The images on the right show higher-resolution versions of the low-res source images for comparison. While the results are not perfect yet, they are certainly close enough to provide value in a variety of scenarios. Eventually we might even be able to extract high-resolution images from low-quality security-cam footage a la CSI.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: We can enhance using an advanced algorithm...
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 16, 2017 09:24AM
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: February 16, 2017 09:27AM
I remember one episode of CSI (I think) where they enhanced the *reflection* of the license plate in the dead person's open eye, or something like that.

That was always fun, because middle managers would see things like that, then send me postage-stamp sized photos from their old flip phones and tell me to blow up the one section to use on a cover for a submittal. When I'd tell them it wasn't possible, CSI was always referenced, and I was told maybe I need to go take some classes on how to work the "com-poo-tor".

Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: February 16, 2017 10:32AM
Umm, I think that software is just basing the "enhancement" based on prior images it's seen. Not true enhancement, just very clever guessing. If the guessing is clever enough, i guess the difference get's minimal.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 16, 2017 02:45PM
anonymouse1
Umm, I think that software is just basing the "enhancement" based on prior images it's seen. Not true enhancement, just very clever guessing. If the guessing is clever enough, i guess the difference get's minimal.

Ding ! There are mathematical limits to how far you can get with the basic data. But extrapolation and association are a totally different thing.

You won't see NASA using that algorithm...

"On Pluto, we have discovered Beyonce !"
Posted by: pdq
Date: February 16, 2017 05:04PM
A young Harrison Ford had the ultimate photo "enhance" session in Blade Runner ('82)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 302
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015