Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $153.39 ( -2.68 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone happy with an alternative to 1Password
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: February 16, 2017 11:48AM
Longtime user of 1Password, but their recent move to eliminate the standalone app in the next year or two and go to only a monthly pay-us-forever subscription app has turned me off. My team are now looking for an alternative. We've got almost 20 paid 1Password licenses, and a whole bunch more are needed. I refuse to do the subscription version.

Anyone recommend a password app? My main criteria is that it has a browser extension.

thanks.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, 16G RAMSierra 10.12.6 Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone happy with an alternative to 1Password
Posted by: Golfer
Date: February 16, 2017 11:54AM
Well that really bites, guess I'll be watching the comments as well.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: February 16, 2017 12:22PM
I honestly have not been paying attention to this, how does iCloud's keychain works for this?

Edit: [support.apple.com]

• back to confinement

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2017 12:55PM by rich in distress.
Posted by: wurm
Date: February 16, 2017 12:32PM
I probably don't even use Enpass to its full capabilities, but I liked it enough during the trial that I paid (the relatively paltry sum) for it. Not sure if it will serve your purposes, but it's worth a look in my opinion. [www.enpass.io]
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: February 16, 2017 12:52PM
1Password, sayonara, suckers! No way will I pay a monthly fee. rant smiley Buy it, pay upgrade as necessary, repeat. The way software is supposed to rip you off.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Date: February 16, 2017 12:59PM
wurm
I probably don't even use Enpass to its full capabilities, but I liked it enough during the trial that I paid (the relatively paltry sum) for it. Not sure if it will serve your purposes, but it's worth a look in my opinion. [www.enpass.io]

Wurm, that actually looks like a damn good app. I'm checking it out. thank you for the recommendation.

I think something has occurred in Agilebits' company culture. The last couple times I've communicated with them, there's been this weird passive aggressive, almost irritating tone to the responses, to pretty straight-forward requests for installation instructions. The last response I got was the straw that broke it for me. After 9 years of spreading the word, I'm changing all my company's literature and deleting them as a recommendation.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, 16G RAMSierra 10.12.6 Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 16, 2017 01:00PM
wurm

Looks like its free? Unless you need the "pro" mobile version?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 16, 2017 01:06PM
Tuqqer,

Eliminating the app in a year or two is one thing. I doubt that means the copies you own right now will be rendered unusable. No need to rush out and find a replacement. I'm taking my time about it since the Mac and iOS apps are dandy for me in their current form. Not worth worrying about unless both flavors have issues.

Robert
Posted by: Golfer
Date: February 16, 2017 01:10PM
rich in distress
I honestly have not been paying attention to this, how does iCloud's keychain works for this?

Edit: [support.apple.com]

I, for one, do not want all that info in the cloud. That's one of the key features of 1Password for me. I can sync my phone directly from my MBP, no cloud access needed.
Date: February 16, 2017 01:16PM
Robert M
Tuqqer,

Eliminating the app in a year or two is one thing. I doubt that means the copies you own right now will be rendered unusable. No need to rush out and find a replacement. I'm taking my time about it since the Mac and iOS apps are dandy for me in their current form. Not worth worrying about unless both flavors have issues.

Robert

I'm in agreement, Robert. I won't switch over for awhile. It's more come up because I was giving a training last week to my team, and I mentioned the importance of a password system (so that people wouldn't have to look up passwords, forget passwords, create silly short passwords, the basic litany), and the flood of emails back from the team, all saying, "we can't find the standalone app." That's what really got this ball moving. I wrote Agilebits, requesting the URL for their standalone app, and the responses back were appalling. A simple straight-forward answer of "we are no longer supporting and offering a standalone" would've sufficed. But instead I got the weirdest run around and then the passive aggressive email exchange. I have zero tolerance for that kind of thing. Thus this new search so I can edit my how-to training manuals, and give a new alternative to my team.

Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: February 16, 2017 01:48PM
tuqqer
Longtime user of 1Password, but their recent move to eliminate the standalone app in the next year or two and go to only a monthly pay-us-forever subscription app has turned me off. My team are now looking for an alternative. We've got almost 20 paid 1Password licenses, and a whole bunch more are needed. I refuse to do the subscription version.

Anyone recommend a password app? My main criteria is that it has a browser extension.

thanks.

I use Keychain Access.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2017 01:49PM by Article Accelerator.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 16, 2017 01:49PM
Where has 1Password announced this change?

Posted by: Ammo
Date: February 16, 2017 01:59PM
After a brief foray into Keychain this week, I concluded it is half-baked. Hopefully Apple can improve it soon to the point where it's as useable as 1Password.

"When the tree falls, the monkeys scatter." Chinese proverb.

Always remember that your present situation is not your final destination.

"The opposite for courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow." Jim Hightower
Posted by: Spiff
Date: February 16, 2017 02:02PM
I use ewallet at its most basic level. I find it works ok. Enpass looks awesome!
Date: February 16, 2017 02:36PM
Ammo,

You're being kind. I've delved into it and it's not half-baked. It's rotten and ready for the trash. Keychain, when it comes to functionality, is not trustworthy either. Keychain and Safari can't even place the user name and password for ups.com into the correct field. It gets the password right but I have to manually enter the username. Pathetic.

Robert
Posted by: numbered
Date: February 16, 2017 03:21PM
Agilebits announced this last summer, touting their new cloud-based backup and synching. They are really trying to push the subscription model.

Of course, we hate it. Adobe. But I need to point out that Adobe stock has at least tripled since they went subscription. I think you need a monopoly position to get away with it, but it works for shareholders. Customers, not so much.

However, I went through the search process and did find the license product. They do hide it, but you can still buy it..... here.
Date: February 16, 2017 03:52PM
Robert M
Keychain and Safari can't even place the user name and password for ups.com into the correct field. It gets the password right but I have to manually enter the username. Pathetic.

It works fine for me here. SAD!

(Seriously, Robert, what's up with that? I just created an UPS account for testing purposes and now Keychain Access fills in both the ID and password instantly in the log-in screen. No problems at all!)
Date: February 16, 2017 03:58PM
thanks for that link, numbered.

There are entire courses, books, business models that show historically the advantages of getting customers on a monthly bill, especially so tiny that it gets lost in the line items of ones monthly credit card statement. Businesses based on autoship work. Subscriptions work. Agilebits' stock will go up, just like Adobe's.

And, as an end customer, we have to be really aware of what we're signing up for. For basic app, such as 1Password (and TextExpander, an even more egregious example), I'm putting my foot down and saying no.

Posted by: Onamuji
Date: February 16, 2017 04:51PM
rich in distress

Pretty much the worst most unreliable garbage ever.

Posted by: Onamuji
Date: February 16, 2017 04:52PM
Robert M
Ammo,

You're being kind. I've delved into it and it's not half-baked. It's rotten and ready for the trash. Keychain, when it comes to functionality, is not trustworthy either. Keychain and Safari can't even place the user name and password for ups.com into the correct field. It gets the password right but I have to manually enter the username. Pathetic.

Robert

The keychain is fine once you know your way around it. It's just very limited in what it can do.

...And don't ever activate the iCloud keychain. It will bite you some day. Maybe not today and maybe not tomorrow, but some day it will find a way to ruin a week of your life.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 16, 2017 05:40PM
numbered
Agilebits announced this last summer, touting their new cloud-based backup and synching. They are really trying to push the subscription model.

Of course, we hate it. Adobe. But I need to point out that Adobe stock has at least tripled since they went subscription. I think you need a monopoly position to get away with it, but it works for shareholders. Customers, not so much.

However, I went through the search process and did find the license product. They do hide it, but you can still buy it..... here.

Yep, still available as a standalone product... for now.

I went through this exercise with my recent purchase of a new iMac. The version of 1Password I was running under Mavericks on my laptop will not run under Sierra, so I figured it was (finally!) time to upgrade. Went to AgileBit's site and learned about their new focus on the subscription model. Not for me, thanks.

The funny thing is... I downloaded and installed the 30 day standalone trial -- I just realized it's been well over thirty days since that install and the app is still providing full functionality!

It is what it is.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: February 16, 2017 06:03PM
tuqqer
thanks for that link, numbered.

There are entire courses, books, business models that show historically the advantages of getting customers on a monthly bill, especially so tiny that it gets lost in the line items of ones monthly credit card statement. Businesses based on autoship work. Subscriptions work. Agilebits' stock will go up, just like Adobe's.

And, as an end customer, we have to be really aware of what we're signing up for. For basic app, such as 1Password (and TextExpander, an even more egregious example), I'm putting my foot down and saying no.

+1000, I loathe the efforts to suck money out of us eternally via the subscription model. Companies hate the idea of consumers exercising their free will by deciding if and when they want to upgrade.

Once we place nonhuman animals outside our sphere of moral consideration
and treat them as things we use to satisfy our own desires,
the outcome is predictable.
- Peter Singer
Date: February 16, 2017 06:14PM
Ona,

I know my way around it and still have to disagree wholeheartedly. It's a kludge at best and only usable for rudimentary tasks. And, iCloud keychain? Aw hell no! Avoid that piece of crappytacular garbage at all cost. It's possibly one of the shoddiest pieces of software tech ever produced by Apple. It turned itself on one time and fouled up my keychain nearly beyond repair. I had to work with senior techs at Apple to restore my systems to proper working order.

Robert
Posted by: datbeme
Date: February 16, 2017 06:42PM
The subscription model really makes me bristle. A lot. I use and value 1P a ton, but I hate the idea of the ongoing expense, and if the standalone product becomes obsolete, I will give this a lot more thought at that time. But not until that happens.

I appreciate tugger's situation where he needs to be able to recommend it, endorse it, and implement it in a wider fashion, but for my personal use, it's still great. I would still heartily recommend the standalone version if not for the fact that they no longer offer the family license. It's not clear if the app store version can be shared on all family computers, but that might be an option.

I last upgraded in 2013 to Family License of version v3, and I believe that included a free upgrade to v4 when it was released...and apparently this is still good all the way through v6 with El Cap/Sierra. I can hardly complain at this point.
Posted by: datbeme
Date: February 16, 2017 06:48PM
N-OS X-tasy!
numbered

I went through this exercise with my recent purchase of a new iMac. The version of 1Password I was running under Mavericks on my laptop will not run under Sierra, so I figured it was (finally!) time to upgrade. Went to AgileBit's site and learned about their new focus on the subscription model. Not for me, thanks.

The funny thing is... I downloaded and installed the 30 day standalone trial -- I just realized it's been well over thirty days since that install and the app is still providing full functionality!

That's the thing. I thought I only had through version 4 (because I'm still on Mavs), but I just noticed that my wife is running v6 in El Cap on her laptop, and when I typed my email into the website for license recovery, it shows v6. Did they automatically promote v4 owners to maintain compatibility with the latest OS?

From the bottom of my 1P v6 license (I last purchased v3 with a free upgrade to v4 when available:
"Your 1Password 6 license entitles you to use 1Password 4 and 5 as well which use the same license file as 1Password 6."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2017 06:51PM by datbeme.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: February 16, 2017 07:19PM
Onamuji
...And don't ever activate the iCloud keychain. It will bite you some day. Maybe not today and maybe not tomorrow, but some day it will find a way to ruin a week of your life.

Ignore these words of wisdom at your peril.

"When the tree falls, the monkeys scatter." Chinese proverb.

Always remember that your present situation is not your final destination.

"The opposite for courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow." Jim Hightower
Posted by: wurm
Date: February 16, 2017 07:29PM
jdc
wurm

Yes, the desktop version is free, which is all I thought I wanted when I first tried it out. But for $10, it's really nice to be able to access all my passwords on my iPhone. I have it synced via Dropbox and as soon as I make any change in my Desktop version, I immediately get a popup that it's been updated in Dropbox. I should probably let it do more (like autofill and generate passwords), but all I initially wanted was someplace to keep my passwords handy.

And FWIW, they seem to be pretty good about updating.
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: February 16, 2017 07:52PM
Msecure. Coverage at today's Macintouch.
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: February 16, 2017 07:59PM
I use KeePass, which is open source, and multi-platform.

But I only need a DB where I do an occasional lookup, not a solution that will autofill and other niceties.
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 16, 2017 08:23PM
wurm
jdc
wurm

Yes, the desktop version is free, which is all I thought I wanted when I first tried it out. But for $10, it's really nice to be able to access all my passwords on my iPhone. I have it synced via Dropbox and as soon as I make any change in my Desktop version, I immediately get a popup that it's been updated in Dropbox. I should probably let it do more (like autofill and generate passwords), but all I initially wanted was someplace to keep my passwords handy.

And FWIW, they seem to be pretty good about updating.

sounds like the enpass is what 1Password used to be.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 16, 2017 08:25PM
All I know is that 1password works pretty well, and the standalone is still a fine product.

In this day and age, I will not keep my mission-critical data in the hands of a 'free' app.

When it comes time to choose between 1PW and a subscription fee or risk my family financial data stored in the Apple cloud or in the hands of a random app developer, I will likely pay 1PW.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2017 08:25PM by sekker.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: February 16, 2017 08:34PM
numbered: "I think you need a monopoly position to get away with it, but it works for shareholders. Customers, not so much."

You said it, numbered. Companies that follow this long enough will go belly up. Some shareholders seem to forget that their profits only come via customers. This is what has made Apple great, putting CUSTOMERS first, not shareholders. Anyway, yes, Apple does make junk too - keychain, etc.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Date: February 16, 2017 09:16PM
Keychain Access works for me, including iCloud multi-device functionality.

Perhaps you people are thinking of the old days?
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 16, 2017 09:19PM
keychain? You forgot about the iRack... horrible!

[www.youtube.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: February 16, 2017 09:22PM
I also really depend on 1password, and would not want to change, but am not going to pay for a subscription. Is there a link or story that says they are going to stop selling the standalone version? It is $64 on the app store, and I think that is still the standalone license. their website only offers the subscription version.

here is a support thread in which in the past few days they seem to be saying they will continue to support the standalone version?

[discussions.agilebits.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2017 09:27PM by michaelb.
Date: February 16, 2017 09:34PM
Article,

Nopes. About 2.5 years ago. Definitely not old days by my standard. The huge issue with iCloud keychain hit when I replaced my '08 Mac Pro with an '13 Macbook Pro Retina 15". I'd never trust a feature that turns itself on and then wreaks havoc on passwords across multiple machines. The issue with iCloud keychain affected three different Macs. It was a nightmare to resolve. Never again.

Robert
Posted by: polychrome
Date: February 16, 2017 09:43PM
I rely heavily on 1Password but I sure as heck won't pay for a subscription model, same for the Adobe CS.
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: February 16, 2017 09:50PM
Wow... people over here really hate apple's nuts...

All my research leads me to believe keychain is all I need.
Even though all info is encrypted, apple already has my CC info. I don't need cross platform. And I will be aware that I am using it... when I turn it on.
Will definitely report back if iCloud chews my butt.

• back to confinement
Date: February 16, 2017 09:57PM
michaelb
I think that is still the standalone license. their website only offers the subscription version.

That is incorrect - the standalone version is available at the link provided by numbered above.

It is what it is.
Posted by: sekker
Date: February 16, 2017 11:16PM
I use 1PW for more than passwords and CC info. Does far more than Apple keychain.
Date: February 16, 2017 11:27PM
datbeme
N-OS X-tasy!
numbered

That's the thing. I thought I only had through version 4 (because I'm still on Mavs), but I just noticed that my wife is running v6 in El Cap on her laptop, and when I typed my email into the website for license recovery, it shows v6. Did they automatically promote v4 owners to maintain compatibility with the latest OS?

From the bottom of my 1P v6 license (I last purchased v3 with a free upgrade to v4 when available:
"Your 1Password 6 license entitles you to use 1Password 4 and 5 as well which use the same license file as 1Password 6."

OK, so my curiosity was piqued. Came home, got on the iMac, launched iP, checked the version (v6) and then the license status - got the following:

Licensed: December 4, 2013

So it appears that AgileBits is providing older users with silent license updates to use 1P v6. Nice!

It is what it is.
Date: February 17, 2017 12:43AM
sekker
I use 1PW for more than passwords and CC info. Does far more than Apple keychain.

Keychain also stores secure notes.

[www.techrepublic.com]
[www.macworld.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2017 12:57AM by Article Accelerator.
Posted by: Don C
Date: February 17, 2017 08:24PM
I have been pleased with LastPass, using the free version that runs through various web browsers.

It does not always automatically populate fields, but the information to do so is readily available (e.g. it populates the password of my VISA account but not the username, but the username is only a click or two away).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 234
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015