Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $135.72 ( +0.38 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need to recover deleted backups from a Time Machine external drive
Posted by: JoeM
Date: February 16, 2017 04:10PM
Needed to backup a few nights ago and got a message from TM that my drive didn't have enough space. It asked if I wanted to delete some older backups to make room to which I replied yes, thinking I had numerous backups of one old volume that hadn't had anything added to it in a few years, so if a few backups were deleted it would be ok.

Looking today I find that TM deleted all my old backups other than the last two, both of which did not contain a backup of my old volume. Since I don't do auto backups the drive hasn't been written to since so I'm thinking I should be able to recover the old volume.

I came across two apps: Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery [www.stellarinfo.com] and EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard for Mac [www.easeus.com]

Has anyone had any experience with either or can you recommend another solution for recovering the deleted volume's backup?

TIA

JoeM
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need to recover deleted backups from a Time Machine external drive
Posted by: PeterW
Date: February 16, 2017 04:19PM
You don't want anything with Stellar in its name. They are all poorly done PC ports of dubious value.

My goto data recovery app is Data Rescue 3 by ProSoft.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: February 16, 2017 04:50PM
Be aware of this: Time Machine uses hard links which may make a data recovery scan take a very long time. It might take days to complete.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 16, 2017 04:51PM
.....times like these find an extra flux capacitor.....handy.......to have....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: February 16, 2017 09:13PM
Thanks guys, looks like a weekend gig. Flux capacitor... yeah, that's the ticket!

JoeM
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 16, 2017 11:42PM
Thats a bummer, but that doesnt sound like how TM is supposed to work -- if I remember right its only supposed to delete the oldest "inremental" backups, not straight files. I would need to check.

Sounds like a great time for a new larger backup drive =)

4 TB portable for $105 [www.ebay.com]

----

[www.fakesteve.net]
Date: February 17, 2017 09:36AM
jdc
Thats a bummer, but that doesnt sound like how TM is supposed to work -- if I remember right its only supposed to delete the oldest "inremental" backups, not straight files. I would need to check.

Sounds like a great time for a new larger backup drive =)

4 TB portable for $105 [www.ebay.com]

Yes, I'm surprised as well. There were quite a number of older backups on the drive and I didn't expect them all to be removed. I didn't look to see the actual sizes of the backups I was attempting and I'm guessing that maybe they were larger than I expected which might be why everything got scrubbed. I wouldn't have thought so but that's what I get for being over worked and rushing. Rushing + backups = uh ohs, I guess.

Just gor a new 4TB HGST Deskstar for $134.99 back on Black Friday so I'm ok there. The eBay deal is now $119.99 btw.

JoeM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 271
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015