Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $170.13 ( -0.05 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
"Nokon" cancels new camera series, expect lens prices to go up
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: February 16, 2017 07:34PM
Yes, I misspelled it on purpose. I cannot recall a major camera company canceling an entire new lineup of cameras before it actually shipped. My working theory is that Nikon will use this lost development money to justify raising lenses prices like they always do.

[www.dpreview.com]

Nikon has officially put an end to the DL series. Announced just under a year ago, the three DL compacts would have had 1" sensors. Nikon missed its June target ship date, citing problems related to the image processor. Now, Nikon says that the development costs had become too great to continue. A statement released today also mentions the company's concern that it wouldn't sell enough units to make up for the increased costs, due to a slow down in the market.

That wasn't the only piece of bad news from Nikon this morning. The company released its third quarter financial results and due to costs of a 'voluntary retirement' program it initiated last year and semiconductor inventory write-offs, has announced an 'extraordinary loss' from April to December of 2016. The impact of this is reflected in an updated forecast for the financial year ending in March, lowering predictions of net sales and operating income. The statement acknowledges a 'sluggish and shrinking' market for digital cameras.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: "Nokon" cancels new camera series, expect lens prices to go up
Posted by: datbeme
Date: February 16, 2017 08:11PM
Could the signs be more obvious? I'll have to remember to spend an evening re-reading all of your Nikon posts before I do something stupid like buy a new camera or lens.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 16, 2017 08:12PM
Good thing I only shoot Cannin.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 16, 2017 09:03PM
So what? Better they kill it before they are to market and some poor schlubs are stuck with a useless line of gear.

There are far too many models and sub models and lines and sub lines of cameras with their attendant accessories and lenses. Choice is great, but not when it's just aimed at parting the consumer from his cash.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 16, 2017 10:21PM
seems like a smart move to me.

Shell gave up on arctic drilling for a while too.
Given where that market went, in hindsight it seems even more like a prudent move.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 17, 2017 07:47AM
.....I......see.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Date: February 17, 2017 07:53AM
billb

Given where that market went, in hindsight it seems even more like a prudent move.

It is actually not a good move. The 1" sensor arena is an area of growth that cell phones have not eliminated. The basically have ceded the market to Sony with an incompetent rollout. There was market excitement for the cameras, the poor execution is what has the DL series DOA. The camera they should cancel is the nascent 1 series.

Posted by: Billybob
Date: February 17, 2017 09:23AM
pRICE cUBE

It is actually not a good move. The 1" sensor arena is an area of growth that cell phones have not eliminated. The basically have ceded the market to Sony with an incompetent rollout. There was market excitement for the cameras, the poor execution is what has the DL series DOA. The camera they should cancel is the nascent 1 series.

I agree completely. There was actually one camera in the DL line that had me intrigued (I don't remember which one, probably the telephoto version, because it's been so long since the original announcement). I have Zero interest in their 1 series. That series offers nothing that can't be obtained better, possibly cheaper, elsewhere.

I'm still a Nikon shooter, I really do love the image quality. But I'm glad that I held on to my Canon glass. Nikon is going no where and appears to have plateaued in the area of image quality. It's just a matter of time before Canon catches up--or becomes "good enough"--in the sensor dimension. It will be a much easier transition back to Canon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2017 09:24AM by Billybob.
Date: February 17, 2017 10:26AM
Billybob
pRICE cUBE

I agree completely. There was actually one camera in the DL line that had me intrigued (I don't remember which one, probably the telephoto version, because it's been so long since the original announcement). I have Zero interest in their 1 series. That series offers nothing that can't be obtained better, possibly cheaper, elsewhere.

I'm still a Nikon shooter, I really do love the image quality. But I'm glad that I held on to my Canon glass. Nikon is going no where and appears to have plateaued in the area of image quality. It's just a matter of time before Canon catches up--or becomes "good enough"--in the sensor dimension. It will be a much easier transition back to Canon.

I was interested in the superzoom model. The other two were kind of meh.

Panasonic and Sony are ruling the 1" space because Nikon and Canon are trying to expand but also protect their SLR lines. An all in one zoom owner in the 1" space is less likely to buy accessories and not buying additional lenses.

Canon and Nikon will continue to guard their SLR cash cow and it will be interesting to see if Sony and other smaller companies can exploit the mirror-less and 1" market spaces.

IMO, Nikon either should have stayed out of the 1" space all together or went ahead full force. The announcement and then canceling of the DL series makes them look bad, really bad. It shakes the confidence of anyone invested in the 1 Series interchangeable mirrorless cameras. It will make people question future platforms such as any mirrorless option that have a larger sensor such as maps-c or full frame 35mm.

Date: February 17, 2017 10:39AM
pRICE cUBE
billb

Whoare they going to sell them to ?
You can't put it on a selfie stick nor can you text with it.

Mark my words the 1 inch sensor market is going to be gone in three years.

The DL series was supposedly a huge money pit with delay after delay and rife with bugs and problems.
Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and walk away from a project even if it is a good idea.

The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
[soundcloud.com]
Date: February 17, 2017 11:16AM
billb
pRICE cUBE
billb

The DL series was supposedly a huge money pit with delay after delay and rife with bugs and problems.
Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and walk away from a project even if it is a good idea.

"You can't put it on a selfie stick nor can you text with it."

That statement shows complete and utter lack of understanding of the 1" market space.

Posted by: Gareth
Date: February 17, 2017 12:09PM
billb

Video bloggers. There's a whole generation of "kids" that are video blogging for YouTube, etc. I was watching a BTS sneak peek video blog about a video game and the motion capture used, and nearly EVERY blogger there was using a Sony RX100.

And of course you can put it on a selfie stick (well, not the superzoom versions). A lot of these cameras even have "selfie" modes they automatically go into once you flip the LCD up.

The one with a 18-50mm equivalent lens was actually intriguing simply because it was wider than any other 1" camera (or cell phone) on the market. The other two had stiff competition. But unless you're of the very rare camp that thinks of 1" cameras as "lenses" (in that you buy a different camera for different situations), then you're probably just buying one camera which doesn't make for a very large market.

Billybob
Nikon is going no where and appears to have plateaued in the area of image quality. It's just a matter of time before Canon catches up--or becomes "good enough"--in the sensor dimension.

I would say Canon has already become "good enough" with the 5D IV, 1DX II and 80D. But since Nikon uses primarily Sony sensors, they'll probably leap farther ahead with their next cameras, assuming they use the next sensor to come from Sony (since they haven't released anything yet with the current 42mp sensor).
Date: February 17, 2017 12:46PM
pRICE cUBE
billb
pRICE cUBE
billb

That statement shows complete and utter lack of understanding of the 1" market space.

They sure as hell weren't going to take market share away from Sony or Olympus with three turds.
They made the same mistake trying to compete in the gopro market with three turds.

[soundcloud.com]
Date: February 17, 2017 02:01PM
billb
pRICE cUBE
billb
pRICE cUBE
billb

They sure as hell weren't going to take market share away from Sony or Olympus with three turds.
They made the same mistake trying to compete in the gopro market with three turds.

Nikon has a loyal following that would buy DL 1" cameras. Many people in Nikon forums indicated they would buy one of the three models. I was waiting for the superzoom model. I don't want to buy a Sony or Panasonic because I don't want to deal with another menu system. I have also never liked Sony's menu system.

For you to call the cameras turds would be to ignore the spec sheet all together. Name calling of a camera in order to make others believe the cameras instead of actually comparing specs eliminates credibility of the argument.

Nikon's foray into the GoPro space had many complicating factors including their novice video skills and lack of marketing. It is not a market space they had any experience in. Compact cameras are a market space Nikon can and has done well in.

Signs point to the likelihood that Nikon realized the DL series would have eaten away from the core profits of the SLR line. They just had a 3rd quarter filled with massive losses. DL was cancelled not due to the cameras being horrible, they were likely canned for being too much of a threat.

Nikon and Canon have both tripped over themselves trying to expand market share while protecting the very profitable SLR line. The evidence is there. no conjecture, not name calling. Nikon and Canon keep doing this over and over again. Only Sony wants to charge full speed into the 1" and full frame markets because they have given up on the Alpha SLR line for the most part.

Posted by: vision63
Date: February 18, 2017 02:10PM
I was prepared to buy one of them.
Date: February 18, 2017 10:47PM
vision63

Exactly, when I saw the specs on the 24-500, I held off buying a Panasonic I had been looking at. The Panasonic is a good camera but I wanted to stick with the Nikon interface. I want this as my walk around camera instead of the D7000 I haul around now.

Posted by: vision63
Date: February 18, 2017 11:13PM
pRICE cUBE
vision63

Exactly, when I saw the specs on the 24-500, I held off buying a Panasonic I had been looking at. The Panasonic is a good camera but I wanted to stick with the Nikon interface. I want this as my walk around camera instead of the D7000 I haul around now.

I'm disappointed greatly that the DL24-85 f/1.8-2.8 will not be in my stable. I wanted it last September but I waited. This is exactly what they needed. I just need this kind of camera when I'm driving and shooting out of the window, or getting on public transit etc. I cannot understand why. The bythom.com guy thinks it's just fear (cold feet). It's very frustrating.

DL Turns out to mean Dead List
[www.dslrbodies.com]
Date: February 19, 2017 10:03AM
vision63
pRICE cUBE
vision63

I'm disappointed greatly that the DL24-85 f/1.8-2.8 will not be in my stable. I wanted it last September but I waited. This is exactly what they needed. I just need this kind of camera when I'm driving and shooting out of the window, or getting on public transit etc. I cannot understand why. The bythom.com guy thinks it's just fear (cold feet). It's very frustrating.

DL Turns out to mean Dead List
[www.dslrbodies.com]

With the massive loss this quarter, Nikon believes it is better to protect the core SLR business so they can keep making money off lenses and accessories. I put off buying to wait for the 24-500 model. Now I am looking at the Sony, which I am not excited about, Sony interface has never been to my liking. Also looking at the Panasonic FZ series.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 236
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015