Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $146.28 ( +0.65 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
PSA: Fastmail is ditching their free accounts
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: February 16, 2017 08:07PM
Speaking of changes to old favorites, the 1Password thread below reminds me -- Fastmail is ditching their free accounts as of July 31st. Haven't seen that mentioned here.

I've had mine as a disposable email address for a long time, and never had the need to upgrade it to a paid account, but understandably that door is closing.

Also served as a reminder what a PITA changing linked email addresses can be, even if only a few in number.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: PSA: Fastmail is ditching their free accounts
Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 16, 2017 08:20PM
Bimwad,

Wow. I thought Fastmail did away with the free accounts a long time ago. Then again, the prices Fastmail charges for its email service are _very_ reasonable. You get solid bang for a buck. Once I started using Fastmail's email services, I became a paid subscriber and never looked back. Worth every penny.

Robert
Posted by: freeradical
Date: February 16, 2017 09:27PM
Robert M
Wow. I thought Fastmail did away with the free accounts a long time ago.

Me too.

I've had an account with them for at least 10 years now. I started out with a free account, but it was too basic, so I upgraded to a paid account fairly quickly.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: February 16, 2017 09:33PM
Fastmail was the preferred choice for an email service back on dealmac, and like others here I have used it continuously since, so a very long time (we have had two primary email addresses in the history of our internet, AOL and Fastmail). I do pay the $19 per year.
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: February 16, 2017 09:46PM
I've had fastmail for many many years as well, first free but then quickly changed to paid.

I pay $100+ per year for my family of four. Well worth it.

Posted by: ArtP
Date: February 16, 2017 10:59PM

Fastmail was the preferred choice for an email service back on dealmac

Remember when evrybody wanted Gmail invites when it first launched?

Seems like ancient times but Google did win....
Date: February 17, 2017 12:29AM
ArtP

Fastmail was the preferred choice for an email service back on dealmac

Remember when evrybody wanted Gmail invites when it first launched?

Seems like ancient times but Google did win....

What did Google win?
Posted by: ArtP
Date: February 17, 2017 12:37AM

What did Google win?

The browser war, the search engine war, the "know almost everything about anyone anywhere" with just a simple "Google"....

Remember at the old place back in the day nobody wanted Google to be "that involved" in our lives....
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 17, 2017 02:02AM
I don't use Gmail, I don't use Chrome, I don't use Google Drive, I don't use Google Docs, and I don't log into Google when I use its search engine.

Did I win?

It is what it is.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 17, 2017 05:50AM
.....son of a ditch......??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: IronMac
Date: February 17, 2017 06:11AM
I've been on Fastmail since 2002. First, it was a free account then I moved over to a paid one. Wish they would up the storage...100 mb after all this time? Sheesh.
Posted by: rz
Date: February 17, 2017 07:22AM
N-OS X-tasy!
I don't use Gmail, I don't use Chrome, I don't use Google Drive, I don't use Google Docs, and I don't log into Google when I use its search engine.

Did I win?

No, but the fact that you use their search engine means they did.
Posted by: clay
Date: February 17, 2017 08:07AM
IronMac
I've been on Fastmail since 2002. First, it was a free account then I moved over to a paid one. Wish they would up the storage...100 mb after all this time? Sheesh.

I'm seeing 2gb storage on the $3/month plan. [www.fastmail.com]
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 17, 2017 09:37AM
whats the benefit over gmail?

Date: February 17, 2017 11:23AM
mattkime
whats the benefit over gmail?

TINFL - you are the product when it comes to gmail.

It really is fast.

Then there is Fastmail's privacy policy...no lawyer talk here, just plain English...

[blog.fastmail.com]

We do not participate in, or co-operate with, any kind of blanket surveillance or monitoring. (We also point out that Australia does not have any equivalent to the US National Security Letter, so we cannot be forced to do something without being allowed to disclose it.)

We also take technical measures where feasible to prevent surveillance of our users occurring without our co-operation, such as:

using encrypted SMTP for sending your mail when the receiving server supports it.
mandating encrypted access for webmail, IMAP and POP.
using Perfect Forward Secrecy where possible for all encrypted connections.
encrypting communications between our data centres.

Like any company, we can never guarantee our measures are 100% effective, as we don't know the full capabilities of any attackers. However, these measures do act to increase the difficulty and expense of any surveillance.

As an Australian company, we are required to disclose information about specific individual accounts to properly authorised Australian law enforcement with the appropriate supporting documentation. This means we need to see a warrant signed by an Australian judge before we will hand over any email data. Such requests must always be for specific accounts; we do not participate in or co-operate with "fishing expeditions". As a guideline, in the last year we disclosed information on fewer than 50 accounts.

We do not directly disclose any information about our users to law enforcement from outside Australia, and indeed our understanding of Australian law is that it would be illegal for us to do so.

Overseas law enforcement may apply via an appropriate mutual assistance treaty to obtain information on our users. If the request is approved, then Australian documentation will be issued for disclosure of this information.

This distinction may seem academic, but in our experience the extra administrative overhead, and the additional layers of judicial oversight mean that we receive very few valid requests that originate from overseas and they must always be targeted at specific accounts.

We do not condone illegal activity. We deal with all law enforcement requests personally and we are satisfied that all we have seen are justified.
Data mining and profiling

We do not sell or give information about our users to any third parties. Payments are securely handled via Pin, Global Collect or PayPal; your credit card details are never transmitted to our servers. Pin and/or Global Collect store your credit card details and address for the purpose of future payments with FastMail, unless you have requested your payment details not to be stored. Pin's privacy policy is available at [pin.net.au]. Global Collect's privacy policy is available at [www.globalcollect.com]. PayPal's privacy policy varies depending on your country of residence; you can select your country to find the relevant privacy policy at [www.paypal.com].

Incoming messages are scanned for the purpose of spam detection unless you disable spam protection for your account. We may also scan some outgoing messages with the same software to prevent people using our service to send spam. Emails you report as spam are automatically analysed to help train our spam filter. Also, if enabled, emails reported as spam are forwarded on to some external email reporting services. These services aim to help monitor and reduce overall spam on the Internet. Currently the services we report to are Return Path and LashBack. These may change in the future. If you don't want this, you can disable the reporting in the FastMail advanced settings.

To make message searching fast, we build an index of your messages (this is a table, just like you would find at the back of a reference book, in which you can look up a word to quickly find the emails in which it appears).

No information from any of these activities is used for any other purpose, or to compile any kind of profile on our users.
Posted by: rjmacs
Date: February 17, 2017 02:12PM
N-OS X-tasy!

Did I win?

No. Google still tracks you.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: IronMac
Date: February 17, 2017 03:24PM
clay
IronMac

I'm seeing 2gb storage on the $3/month plan. [www.fastmail.com]

Wow!!! I haven't checked in years and it seems I am on some sort of OLD OLD OLD plan where I pay about $14 a year for 100 mb of storage. They will automatically renew my subscription in 2018 for another three years or I can stretch it to a five year renewal plan at that price.

Thanks for pointing it out!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 316
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015