Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $146.28 ( +0.65 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Terry Pratchett--Extraordinary documentary
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: February 17, 2017 08:20AM
Extremely well done; gripping. If you like Terry's work, this is a don't-miss.

[www.youtube.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Terry Pratchett--Extraordinary documentary
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: February 17, 2017 10:01AM
Before I click on link, what it about? I love good documentaries. I don't like bad ones smiley-laughing001

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: February 17, 2017 10:07AM
When the writer Sir Terry Pratchett died in 2015, he was working on one last story - his own. But Terry's Alzheimer's meant he never got to finish it.
This poignant and humorous film starring Paul Kaye as Terry finally tells the story of this hugely popular author, creator of Discworld, whose books have sold over 85 million copies worldwide. Back in Black reveals Terry's road to success was not always easy, from his troubled schooldays to being dismissed by literary critics, to his battle with Alzheimer's. But knighted by the Queen, adored by millions of fans and with a legacy of 41 much-loved novels - Terry Pratchett is still having the last laugh.

Much missed

Paul

Date: February 17, 2017 10:10AM
It's about the fantasy author Terry Pratchett. if you don't know his work, it won't mean much to you. Strongly suggest you pick up one of his books. What do you like to read?
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: February 17, 2017 02:00PM
Thanks anon. I've never heard of him. But I usually only read old books, written in early 20th century and way back. I'm not into sci-fi, thrillers, etc. I like to read though and not closed about it, so if he's a good writer and a good story teller, I'll check him out. I like history, biographies, auto biographies, etc.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: February 17, 2017 03:32PM
Anyone have a book they'd like to recommend for a Pratchett first-timer? I read a lot of SF & fantasy when I was younger and have been catching up on a lot of SF I missed recently.
Date: February 17, 2017 03:36PM
Start with either Small Gods or The Thief of Time.
Posted by: A-Polly
Date: February 19, 2017 08:22AM
Plunge in anywhere, I guess (but don't start with his final book, which is more of an outline of the story that would have been). For you, I might suggest beginning with Guards, Guards or perhaps Going Postal. Here is a cool infographic that shows how the various Discworld books sort of relate:
[electricliterature.com]
...and this short article might be helpful:
[www.npr.org]
From the NPR link:

But there's no terrible place to start with the Discworld books, at least for readers who accept one caveat off the bat: No single Discworld novel is fully representative of the others. Pratchett's writing style, interests and humor evolved considerably over decades of work, so the series evolved with him. Some of the books have considerably smaller scopes, and a playful novel like 1990's Moving Pictures, which mashes up Lassie, Fred Astaire and a touch of Lovecraft, is considerably different from 2011's Snuff, which takes a much darker tack on mirroring racism and systemic oppression. Even though the books all take place in the same world, they deal with different characters, in different places, in a constantly changing environment. Asking "Which book will let me know what the series is like?" is akin to asking "What single fruit shall I eat to learn whether I like fruit?"
My first was The Last Continent.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 318
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015