advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Friends Purse Stolen - steps to prevent ID Theft?
Posted by: MitchJi
Date: January 13, 2006 04:12PM
Hi,

A friend had her purse stolen. It had Credit Cards, Checks, Drivers License, Social Security Card.

Aside from canceling the credit cards and closing her bank account what can she do to prevent Identity Theft?

Thank You Very Very Much!

Mitch
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Friends Purse Stolen - steps to prevent ID Theft?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: January 13, 2006 04:15PM
contact DMV fast about the drivers license and the SS card.

the SS card is urgent because they can do much damage with that. . .i.e. identity theft. the bank and credit card can be closed fast with one phone call. . .

the dmv and ss might be a problem since depending where you are the offices are closed until MOnday.

(Just wondering. . but why do people carry their SS card with them? I only carry it when I need it. Otherwise, I leave it at home.)

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: tahoedrew
Date: January 13, 2006 04:49PM
NewtonMP2100 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> (Just wondering. . but why do people carry their
> SS card with them? I only carry it when I need
> it. Otherwise, I leave it at home.)
>
>

I don't even have mine at home - it's in a safe deposit box, I only keep a copy (which hurts just as much as the original if the wrong person finds it, but it's still a bit safer).

~A
Posted by: bfd
Date: January 13, 2006 07:37PM
Probably too late. Best to report everything today and get new numbers all the way around. Write follow-up letters to each of the companies/agencies you reported to, and save copies. Send them registered or receipt requested mail and keep the receipts. Cover yourself from all angles because it could be years from now before there might be any repercussions. You'll have long forgotten who you talked to, when, and about what by that point.
Posted by: msienkiewicz
Date: January 13, 2006 07:54PM
[www.consumer.gov]

Contact the major consumer credit reporting agencies to put a fraud alert on her file to (try to) prevent someone opening accounts in her name.

I had to do this last year after a computer theft at my employer... fortunately it seems the thieves didn't take advantage of the information. This is a good reminder for me to get another credit report made just to check up on things again.

I wish your friend the best of luck.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: January 13, 2006 08:16PM
Look at the paperwork that comes with your SS card, it tells you to lock it up, and never carry it.

BGnR
Posted by: MitchJi
Date: January 13, 2006 09:26PM
Hi,

Thanks Everyone!

Mitch
Posted by: PeterB
Date: January 14, 2006 05:23PM
I got some good advice from a webpage awhile back-- doesn't help now, but does help if it should ever happen to you:

Photocopy the entire contents of your wallet/purse, including the backsides of everything. That way, should your stuff ever get stolen, you have all the numbers immediately on hand, and can just start calling away to the places to have them cancel things out...

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 280
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020