You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Never tell me the odds! Gif of Harrison Ford close encounter
Posted by: pRICE cUBE
Date: February 22, 2017 10:28AM

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Never tell me the odds! Gif of Harrison Ford close encounter
Posted by: mikebw
Date: February 22, 2017 10:40AM
Plenty of room, I don't see what the problem is.
Posted by: jdc
Date: February 22, 2017 10:44AM
Except for that he landed on a taxiway, and not the runway.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 22, 2017 10:44AM
....perhaps he was trying to catch an Uber....on the TAXI........way......???

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 22, 2017 10:47AM
Jeez... If he was the pilot, he's definitely having some FAA issues right now. We won't know until the official report. Guess that light saber .... affected his guidance systems....
Posted by: GGD
Date: February 22, 2017 10:57AM
cbelt3
Jeez... If he was the pilot, he's definitely having some FAA issues right now. We won't know until the official report. Guess that light saber .... affected his guidance systems....

I'm sure his very hairy co-pilot will talk with them and take the blame, or "persuade them" to reconsider.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: February 22, 2017 11:01AM
cbelt3

He was and he is. I would be surprised to learn he doesn't lose his license over this.

It is what it is.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 22, 2017 11:07AM
he probably won't even get a fine

he landed at the correct airport
younger men have done worse and are still flying

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Date: February 22, 2017 11:29AM
billb

Can you please cite "worse" situations similar to this where the pilot is still flying? I would really like to know more about how pilots are disciplined for safety infractions.

Posted by: Lizabeth
Date: February 22, 2017 11:46AM
Just how easy is it to jerk a pilot's license?
Posted by: $tevie
Date: February 22, 2017 12:07PM
That is one crazy-ass video! eye popping smiley

Date: February 22, 2017 01:07PM
....he needed to get home to Calista......

Posted by: Uncle Wig
Date: February 22, 2017 01:22PM
Lizabeth

I don't know how "easy" it is, but if the FAA finds cause, they can pull his license. If they do, he can appeal. It could be a lengthy process. I don't know what the typical penalty is for landing on a taxiway or the wrong runway. It's a serious offence, but I'll be surprised if they pull his license just for that unless they find other issues such as a pattern of errors that would indicate memory or situational awareness issues.

I'd fly with him today if given the chance.

Date: February 22, 2017 01:29PM
NewtonMP2100
....he needed to get home to Calista......

Or maybe he just had to GO really really bad!
Posted by: testcase
Date: February 22, 2017 02:02PM
Whatta mistaka to maka..

facepalm.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: February 22, 2017 02:32PM
Lizabeth

A whole lot easier than pulling his light saber license.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: February 22, 2017 02:36PM
This is very serious in my opinion, and his license should be taken away. Very serious. And, it just seems to me these Hollywooders get away with things that would put me under the jail.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2017 02:37PM by GuyGene.
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: February 22, 2017 02:53PM
Eeesh ! Those of you without a license ( had one since 1992 ) should calm down some.
That was not even close. Likely he will get a reprimand and be required to do some additional training/review.
Posted by: Schpark
Date: February 22, 2017 03:31PM
Speedy
Lizabeth

He doesn't have one. Always used a blaster.

"Without death, life would lose much of its meaning. My goal is to live in such a manner that I alter world in some fundamental way before I'm gone. As I get older and watch my son grow I realize I've already achieved my goal." - Ztirffritz
Date: February 22, 2017 03:53PM
Exclusive footage from inside the plane:

Posted by: PeterW
Date: February 22, 2017 04:50PM
If it was an isolated occurrence, he might have got off with a wrist slap. But combined with the golf course crash, a bit more scrutiny is called for.
Posted by: Bernie
Date: February 22, 2017 05:30PM
Not uncommon.
Those runways are HUUUGE and a little plane does not need all that. I have flow with pilots that fly down the runway and land JUST before the the taxi ramps.

Staunton, Virginia
Posted by: Rick-o
Date: February 22, 2017 05:44PM
Schpark
Speedy
Lizabeth

He doesn't have one. Always used a blaster.

Thank you!

I'm no Star Wars geek, (although I liked the first 3 films released), but that LS comment caught my attention. I thought, Han Solo with a Light Saber? Didn't he use a blaster?

Back to Mr. Ford. Yeah, lighten up, folks! Chit happens, and we really don't know the full story. I will reserve my judgement.

"After a time, you may find, that having is not so pleasing a thing after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

- Mr. Spock

“There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well.”

- Walter Reuther
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 22, 2017 06:15PM
Schpark
Always used a blaster.

Not true!

Date: February 22, 2017 07:20PM
PeterW
If it was an isolated occurrence, he might have got off with a wrist slap. But combined with the golf course crash, a bit more scrutiny is called for.

Why? Something tells me you don't know what happend in the golf course crash. It was engine failure caused by a part that isn't routinely inspected - certainly not during a preflight. When he realized he wasn't going to make it back to the airport, he steered for the golf course instead of putting it down on a house or business or busy street. Had he not done that, it would have almost certainly been a fatal accident; either him or someone on the ground.

Posted by: nwyaker
Date: February 22, 2017 07:49PM
Uncle Wig
PeterW

Why? Something tells me you don't know what happend in the golf course crash. It was engine failure caused by a part that isn't routinely inspected - certainly not during a preflight. When he realized he wasn't going to make it back to the airport, he steered for the golf course instead of putting it down on a house or business or busy street. Had he not done that, it would have almost certainly been a fatal accident; either him or someone on the ground.

agree smiley
Posted by: billb
Date: February 22, 2017 10:40PM
pRICE cUBE
billb

Can you please cite "worse" situations similar to this where the pilot is still flying? I would really like to know more about how pilots are disciplined for safety infractions.

They don't even always pull licenses when there are accidents.
[www.goodreads.com]

There was no accident here. There hasn't even been a formal investigation nor finding yet.
This is just the media maliciously poisoning your perspective of Ford for no other purpose but to sell ad space to sheep . Don't be a sheep.

The Phorum Wall keeps us safe from illegal characters and words
The doorstep to the temple of wisdom is the knowledge of one's own ignorance. -Benjamin Franklin
BOYCOTT YOPLAIT [www.noyoplait.com]
[soundcloud.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 23, 2017 02:40AM
The other side of the coin is that when he is at his ranch in Jackson Hole Wyoming, he sometimes does Medi-Flights and SAR work for the county in his helicopter, because he can, and is a decent guy.

People DO make mistakes. If I have a near miss with a loaded passenger bus, the world doesn't go ape shirt, because NOTHING HAPPENED.
Posted by: TLB
Date: February 23, 2017 08:10AM
Late to the party, but there are also tail on videos of the landing and they are much, much less dramatic than side view circulating the net.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 23, 2017 08:35AM
As I recall, there have been a number of instances of this kind of landing at airports with multiple parallel runways and taxiways. Recommendations by NTSB and others have included ones for making the different paved areas more visually distinct, but the FAA has not adopted those recommendations in most cases.

So in this case the plane is a "tail-dragger" with a large radial engine partially blocking forward view during a landing approach. Easy to line up on the wrong paved lane, and Ford is probably not the first to do so at that airport.
Date: February 23, 2017 09:05AM
billb
pRICE cUBE
billb

[www.goodreads.com]

There was no accident here. There hasn't even been a formal investigation nor finding yet.
This is just the media maliciously poisoning your perspective of Ford for no other purpose but to sell ad space to sheep . Don't be a sheep.

Who said anything about the media? The commenters here are the ones that suggested the courses of action of discipline. I have not read one media account that has called for his license.

What I see here is with my own eyes is a plane that landed in the wrong area and came close enough to a passenger jet liner to trigger an investigation.

I asked you to cite previous similar incidents and the result to further my own knowledge. Thank you for being able to cite the book but I don't have time to read a 252 page book.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2017 09:53AM by pRICE cUBE.
Date: February 23, 2017 09:48AM
pRICE cUBE
billb
pRICE cUBE
billb

[www.goodreads.com]

Who said anything about the media? The commenters here are the ones that suggested the courses of action of discipline. I have not read one media account that has called for his license.

What I see here is with my own eyes is a plane that landed in the wrong area and came close enough to a passenger jet liner to trigger an investigation.

I asked you to cite previous similar incidents and the result to further my own knowledge. That you for being able to cite the book but I don't have time to read 252 pages.

billb just likes to make thinly veiled political comments on this side whenever he can. This one being a "MSM fake news" reference.

JoeH
As I recall, there have been a number of instances of this kind of landing at airports with multiple parallel runways and taxiways. Recommendations by NTSB and others have included ones for making the different paved areas more visually distinct, but the FAA has not adopted those recommendations in most cases.

So in this case the plane is a "tail-dragger" with a large radial engine partially blocking forward view during a landing approach. Easy to line up on the wrong paved lane, and Ford is probably not the first to do so at that airport.

I agree on all points, but that day he was flying the Aviat Husky which has a small horizontally opposed engine and (non pilot here) I think decent visibility over the nose. You might be thinking of his de Havilland Beaver which does have a big round motor.

Posted by: Will Collier
Date: February 23, 2017 09:54AM
The transcript of the comms between Ford and the ATC is interesting:

ATC: "What happened?"

Ford: "Uh, we had a slight navacomputer malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you...?"
Date: February 23, 2017 12:02PM
Uncle Wig
pRICE cUBE
billb
pRICE cUBE
billb

[www.goodreads.com]

I asked you to cite previous similar incidents and the result to further my own knowledge. That you for being able to cite the book but I don't have time to read 252 pages.

billb just likes to make thinly veiled political comments on this side whenever he can. This one being a "MSM fake news" reference.

JoeH

I agree on all points, but that day he was flying the Aviat Husky which has a small horizontally opposed engine and (non pilot here) I think decent visibility over the nose. You might be thinking of his de Havilland Beaver which does have a big round motor.

It would seem like you formites posting about this incident are all part of the no good rotten media. Shouldn't we at least get paid for this?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2017 12:03PM by pRICE cUBE.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: February 23, 2017 12:18PM
pRICE cUBE
Shouldn't we at least get paid laid for this?

Sure.
Date: February 23, 2017 12:45PM
.....there is an age difference between him and Calista so he was rushing against the biological clock, rushing to impregnate her, so she could have another child for him........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2017 12:46PM by NewtonMP2100.
Date: February 23, 2017 03:38PM
Will Collier
The transcript of the comms between Ford and the ATC is interesting:

ATC: "What happened?"

Ford: "Uh, we had a slight navacomputer malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you...?"

THE BEST!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 270
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015