advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Drivers, THIS is why you get a stick shift car...
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 02, 2017 11:43AM
[www.cleveland.com]

"CLEVELAND, Ohio -- An 18-year-old man accused of committing three armed carjackings in a 10-day span was arrested because he didn't know how to drive stick shift, according to court records."
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Drivers, THIS is why you get a stick shift car...
Posted by: space-time
Date: March 02, 2017 11:46AM
if he carjacked the first car on Feb 11, why did they let him go with only 10k bail? make bail 1M and this would not happen.
Posted by: GuyGene
Date: March 02, 2017 11:49AM
What, VW is about the only company in the whole first w that still makes manual transmissions? I love straight shift... canno' find one.

That old man - he don't think like no old man...
Now I wouldn't want to be within 400 - 500 yards of one of them nuclear bombs when it goes off! WW1 Vet Old Man
"He's pinned under an outcropping of rock. Lucky for him, the rock kept the dirt from burying him alive."
If idiots could fly, this place would be an airport. And I'd be a TSA agent.
A bonified member of The Mystic Knights of The Sea, George P. Stevens, President. Andy Brown, Treasurer, Algonquin J. Calhoun, Legal Consultant.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: March 02, 2017 11:52AM
......this is what happens when the shift.....hits the fan.....??

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 02, 2017 11:56AM
space-time
if he carjacked the first car on Feb 11, why did they let him go with only 10k bail? make bail 1M and this would not happen.

Bail is set based on the on how likely it is going to make the defendant show up in court, and secondarily based on the perceived potential dangerousness of the defendant. The story does not mention any prior offenses, so the bail probably was based on being a first offense. With a repeat offense in such a short time the judge did increase the bail amount considerably, and it was enough so that the defendant was not able to raise that amount.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2017 11:57AM by JoeH.
Posted by: jardster
Date: March 02, 2017 12:17PM
I think it's more about..... Criminals... this is why you LEARN to drive a stick shift car.

Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 02, 2017 12:34PM
The converse being when you have a heart attack and your friend can't drive you to the hospital.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 02, 2017 12:40PM
Lux Interior
The converse being when you have a heart attack and your friend can't drive you to the hospital.

I.... well, as usual, I have a story similar to this.
My Dad always bought manual transmission cars. Always. And one day 17 year old me showed up at my friend's house with our VW Rabbit so we could drive to work together. And promptly had the asthma attack from hell.

And my friend, who had no manual transmission experience, drove me 6 miles home. The car leaping around like a.. well... rabbit. Took my meds (which in the 70's was some nasty stuff...). I recovered and drove him home.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 02, 2017 01:15PM
Lux Interior

This was the scenario I cited as being the reason my first wife needed to learn to drive a stick. She told me in all seriousness that if that scenario ever presented itself I should just count on dying.

It is what it is.
Posted by: btfc
Date: March 02, 2017 01:22PM
NewtonMP2100
......this is what happens when the shift.....hits the fan.....??

You could say that the guy was up shift creek.
Posted by: CW2V
Date: March 02, 2017 01:41PM
All my vehicles since 1992 have been standard transmissions.

I demand it.

CW2V
Posted by: hal
Date: March 02, 2017 02:56PM
cbelt3
[www.cleveland.com]

"CLEVELAND, Ohio -- An 18-year-old man accused of committing three armed carjackings in a 10-day span was arrested because he didn't know how to drive stick shift, according to court records."

I think everyone should learn to drive a stick shift, but I don't think one should be arrested just because they haven't.
Posted by: pdq
Date: March 02, 2017 04:57PM
It's kind of a circular argument, isn't it?

(You should learn to drive a shift because some folks buy manuals. Some folks buy manuals because they learned to drive a shift)

Full disclosure: I own a 2003 Miata. My kids weren't interested, and I don't blame them.
Date: March 02, 2017 05:18PM
CW2V
All my vehicles since 1992 have been standard transmissions.

The car I drive now is the first car I've owned since 1987 that isn't a standard. In retrospect, I should have purchased the standard version of this one, too.

It is what it is.
Date: March 02, 2017 05:19PM
hal
cbelt3
[www.cleveland.com]

I think everyone should learn to drive a stick shift, but I don't think one should be arrested just because they haven't.

smiley-laughing001

It is what it is.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 02, 2017 05:28PM
It was about 10 years of driving before I learned to drive a stick. I bought a 2000 Jetta with a 2.0 and a 5 speed. Had my Dad drive it back to my place and I spent about a week driving around the neighborhood before I was comfortable driving it in traffic. The first time I hit rush hour traffic though....that was nerve-racking.

I bought another 2000 Jetta after that one was totaled by a drunk driver but that one was an auto. I ended up getting 3 or 4mpg better with the auto than the stick in the same driving. I'm guessing I wasn't as good as I thought with the clutch.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: March 02, 2017 05:36PM
So, is driving stick like riding a bike; once you learn how to do it you never forget?
Date: March 02, 2017 05:42PM
....most guys here....don't know how to 'properly' play with a stick.....

Date: March 02, 2017 06:19PM
DeusxMac
So, is driving stick like riding a bike; once you learn how to do it you never forget?

Pretty much. Lots of muscle memory involved that never really goes away.

I "learned" how to drive a stick out of necessity. One afternoon during my senior year of HS, one of the school club advisors had to pick up a bus for a club activity and needed someone to drive his car back, which I volunteered to do. It wasn't until we were halfway there that he thought to ask me if I knew how to drive a stick. If I answered no, there wasn't enough time for him to turn around, drive back, find someone who could drive a stick, and make it in time to pick up the bus before the facility closed. What could I say? I told him I could.

We arrived at the facility, he gave me his car keys, I spent a few moments mentally figuring out the process and the coordination that would be required, put 'er into gear, and off I went. Got back to school with no issues at all, easy peasy. It wasn't until a week later or so that I told him I was lying through my teeth when I told him I knew how to drive a stick.

It is what it is.
Date: March 02, 2017 06:59PM
GuyGene
What, VW is about the only company in the whole first w that still makes manual transmissions? I love straight shift... canno' find one.

I came across something that said Toyota still had a 6-peed manual option available for some models. But so far I can not find any information pointing to specific models that it can be configured for.
Posted by: DeusxMac
Date: March 02, 2017 07:06PM
JoeH
GuyGene

I came across something that said Toyota still had a 6-peed manual option available for some models. But so far I can not find any information pointing to specific models that it can be configured for.

Several can be had with a six-speed manual transmission:

Toyota 86 (formerly Scion FR-S)
"Standard; Short-throw 6-speed close-ratio manual transmission with triple-cone syncromesh on 1st/2nd/3rd gears, ball-bearing mounted shift linkage, and Reverse gear lockout protection"
[www.toyota.com]

Corrola SE

Corrola iM (also formerly a Scion model)
[www.toyota.com]

Yaris iA (and again, a former Scion model)
[www.toyota.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2017 07:17PM by DeusxMac.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 02, 2017 07:30PM
JoeH
space-time

Bail is set based on the on how likely it is going to make the defendant show up in court, and secondarily based on the perceived potential dangerousness of the defendant. The story does not mention any prior offenses, so the bail probably was based on being a first offense. With a repeat offense in such a short time the judge did increase the bail amount considerably, and it was enough so that the defendant was not able to raise that amount.

Washington State made carjacking a felony. If a weapon is involved, that is a second felony. So, if they had done this in Seattle, that's 6 felonies.

10K is a joke.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: March 02, 2017 07:52PM
DeusxMac

Different transmissions have different feels, but you get used to the difference quickly if you know how to drive a stick already.

I drove a 5-speed Suzuki Samurai for 12 years. Then was all auto for about 8 years, then drove a lot of sticks (rentals) living in France.
Posted by: Mr645
Date: March 03, 2017 06:38AM
Both of my cars are manual, stick.

2017 VW GTI
2016 Cadillac ATS-V

[gmauthority.com]
Date: March 03, 2017 07:50AM
......is this a paradigm......shift......??

Posted by: mrlynn
Date: March 03, 2017 07:55AM
I have long preferred manual transmissions, but no one makes big vans or pickups or SUVs with them. Maybe some day I'll get a Mustang GT with a stick. Not likely, though; don't drive enough these days to justify a third vehicle.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"
Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Founded in 1948 by Pappy Ben Minnich
Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern
WHRB-FM, Cambridge, MA
Streaming at [www.WHRB.org]
Be there!

The HAH weblog: [hillbillyatharvard.wordpress.com]

Topical weblog: [walkingcreekworld.wordpress.com]

On the river in Saxonville.
Posted by: Z
Date: March 03, 2017 11:46AM
I've been reverting from auto to stick - in roughly chronological order - all the motorcycles have been manual (footual?) -

90 Mitsu Mirage (auto)
70 Triumph Spitfire (manual)
92 Volvo 244 (auto)
90 Volvo 245 (auto)
84 Toyota Tercel SR5 (manual)
88 Volvo 244 (manual)
92 Volvo 245 (auto)
95 Saab 9000 (manual)
66 Volvo 122s (manual)
85 VW Westfalia (manual)

Hmm, I guess I've been the average model-year owner of a 1985.2
Date: March 03, 2017 03:35PM
DeusxMac
JoeH
GuyGene

Several can be had with a six-speed manual transmission:

Toyota 86 (formerly Scion FR-S)
"Standard; Short-throw 6-speed close-ratio manual transmission with triple-cone syncromesh on 1st/2nd/3rd gears, ball-bearing mounted shift linkage, and Reverse gear lockout protection"
[www.toyota.com]

Corrola SE

Corrola iM (also formerly a Scion model)
[www.toyota.com]

Yaris iA (and again, a former Scion model)
[www.toyota.com]

In addition to the mentioned Toyota models, I came across this article which purports to list all 2017 car models with a manual transmission as an option - [www.web2carz.com].
Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: March 03, 2017 03:40PM
Summer 1988.

Dad: Learn to drive a stick and this car is yours.
Me: OK.
Dad buys new automatic for himself.

I'm still driving that car.
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 03, 2017 06:24PM
space-time

smiley-laughing001

Boy, are YOU out of touch with reality.

Here in Suffolk County, Long Island, NY, those charged with FELONIES get a mandatory bail reduction hearing after they've been incarcerated for one week. I've seen burglars have their original bail of $10000 dropped to ROR (Released on their Own Recognizance) AND, that was 10+ YEARS ago. I don't know if those charged with misdemeanors are relesed even sooner.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 03, 2017 11:04PM
Lew Zealand
Summer 1988.

Dad: Learn to drive a stick and this car is yours.
Me: OK.
Dad buys new automatic for himself.

I'm still driving that car.

Now that's frugal!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 04, 2017 01:53AM
I'm still driving a car I got in '88, and IT has the drive train in it from a car I bought in '86.
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: March 12, 2017 10:41PM
Regrettably, a stick is no protection from violent thieves.

[jalopnik.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 343
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018