advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $151.89 ( -1.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
tell me why i shouldn't get a vw golf sportwagen / how to buy a car privately (part of the 'how do i leave nyc?' series)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 04, 2017 05:12PM
I spent most of the day car shopping. You know its going to be exhausting but you don't know why.

I have a fondness for the vw golf that i'm afraid might lead me astray but several signs point to it being a vey nice car. (those signs being pretty much ever review i've read and experiences from friends) the golf speedwagon is just the golf plus a little more and very well done.

I went to a toyota dealer, a honda dealer, and the vw dealer. only the vw dealer could arrange for me to go for a test drive. I sat in the prius v, rav4, cr-v and hr-v. honda seemed like a step up from toyota and vw was a step above honda as far as the interiors were concerned. the cr-v definitely has more room in the back seats than the golf wagon but i'm not sure if we really need it. the hr-v is interesting but i'm not sure someone 2 inches taller than me could sit in the back.

frankly, because of the bs "make an appt several days in advance" bit from toyota and honda, i might use zipcar to rent them for an hour. seems more efficient.

so, tell me why going with a golf speedwagen is a bad idea 'cause i'm having trouble coming up with reasons against it.

---

ALSO, there's what appears to be a very good deal locally, used, private sale - [newyork.craigslist.org]

How should I cover my bases before I consider buying this car?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: tell me why i shouldn't get a vw golf sportwagen / how to buy a car privately (part of the 'how do i leave nyc?' series)
Posted by: davester
Date: March 04, 2017 05:40PM
Nice driving car. However, the reliability data on Consumer Reports puts it at 20 out of 100, pretty poor. Everybody I've known with a recent VW complains about the electrical and fuel system problems.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Re: tell me why i shouldn't get a vw golf sportwagen / how to buy a car privately (part of the 'how do i leave nyc?' series)
Posted by: testcase
Date: March 04, 2017 06:28PM
A mechanic I trust told me that a simple brake job on a VW could go about $800! smiley-shocked003
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 04, 2017 06:32PM
It's a Volkswagon.

It is what it is.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: March 04, 2017 06:33PM
davester
Nice driving car. However, the reliability data on Consumer Reports puts it at 20 out of 100, pretty poor. Everybody I've known with a recent VW complains about the electrical and fuel system problems.

This.

It is what it is.
Posted by: Ammo
Date: March 04, 2017 07:06PM
I noticed on the Craigslist ad that it has a lien. I'm not sure what that means.

"When the tree falls, the monkeys scatter." Chinese proverb.

Always remember that your present situation is not your final destination.

"The opposite for courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow." Jim Hightower
Posted by: numbered
Date: March 04, 2017 07:10PM
As testcase says, German vehicle maintenance is MUCH more expensive than other cars. If you plan a lease then it is not an issue. But if you expect to own it a while, it is worth considering these costs.

No Subaru?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: March 04, 2017 07:19PM
Ammo
I noticed on the Craigslist ad that it has a lien. I'm not sure what that means.

Probably means the seller has a car loan on the car that has to be released.

Actually, looking at the description of "out of state owner" and being a recent model that is unregistered, too many flags on the listing. Who exactly is this "for sale by owner" doing the listing.
Posted by: hal
Date: March 04, 2017 07:22PM
N-OS X-tasy!
davester

This.

I have NEVER met a happy VW owner except that hippie dude who is in love with his Westphalia.
Date: March 04, 2017 07:30PM
heh, i ran into a college prof who was trading in his recalled vehicle today. he loved his and hopes he loves the next one as much.
hal
I have NEVER met a happy VW owner except that hippie dude who is in love with his Westphalia.

Posted by: jdc
Date: March 04, 2017 07:31PM
Theres a guy up the street from me that has 3 VWs -- a Golf, a Tiguan and a cabriolet.

But he works for VW. smiley-shocked003

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: March 04, 2017 07:31PM
Wait until you get there and then look for something at least two years old. No pressure, less hassle and a better deal.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 04, 2017 07:35PM
Matt,

Wouldn't go near it. Expensive to insure. Expensive to repair. Unreliable. Why would you want that combination in a car that you'll use to transport your family? There are more than enough alternatives to this model that if I were you, I avoid it.

Robert

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2017 07:35PM by Robert M.
Posted by: fmgtech
Date: March 04, 2017 07:36PM
mattkime
heh, i ran into a college prof who was trading in his recalled vehicle today. he loved his and hopes he loves the next one as much.
hal

I owned two Karmann Ghias and loved them.
Date: March 04, 2017 07:37PM
Sounds like its time to drive a Subaru.

Posted by: nwyaker
Date: March 04, 2017 07:45PM
mattkime
Sounds like its time to drive a Subaru.

Mazda 3
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: March 04, 2017 07:51PM
The RAV4 may be a bit boring compared to some others, but it's comfortable, roomy, reliable and easy to maintain. Toyota is the current leader in the fewest-headaches vehicle category.

Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 04, 2017 07:59PM
Have you seen the Mazda CX-5, Ford C-Max, and Subaru Crosstrek? The RAV4 has a bunch more room than those but the mileage is lower if you don't get the RAV4 Hybrid.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: March 04, 2017 08:09PM
a friend just turned in her TDi and was extremely sad to see it go. no major problems, and the car was a 2009, IIRC.
Posted by: S. Pupp
Date: March 04, 2017 08:13PM
Per Consumer Reports: ""Comes very close to being a car that can do it all"
It looks like the 2016 Golf's reliability was sabotaged by a faulty sound system.

I loved my Golf III. I test drove Hondas, Toyotas, Fords, but bought the Golf immediately after the test drive. It was reliable for 7 years, then fell apart. I nonetheless do not regret the purchase; I had 7 fun years with it.

I love my 2006 Jetta 2.0T. Great engine, great handling. I prefer driving it far more than driving my friend's Acura. Turbo problem at 70,000 miles cost $800, otherwise it has been reliable. Dealer gave a free loaner car, so only minor inconvenience.

You have to love your car. A reliable car you don't enjoy driving is not a good purchase.
That said, if money is tight enough that you don't want to spend money on servicing/maintenance, don't get a VW.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 04, 2017 08:14PM
please consider a chevy volt. i love the 2013 i picked up last november. assuming you'll be living some where you can charge it it's a great vehicles. EV range is 40+ miles depending upon the year and the extended gas range is 40 mpg. truly the best of both worlds. northern drivers report it handles beautifully in the snow.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: March 04, 2017 08:22PM
If you want a car that you can drive for 80k without doing much to it, don't get a VW. Yes, maintenance costs are higher. Subaru, Honda and Toyota will all be less expensive.

That said, I know plenty of people with VWs who love them and don't have any of the issues mentioned above. Some are even older (eg early 2000's) models with 200k+ on them and they're still going strong. In 2012 I bought a 2009 GTI with over 100k on it and it was a GREAT car. But I also tracked down the service records and made sure it was well maintained.

One of the issues that has plagued VWs are the electronics. There's two reasons for this. One is that if you don't bother to properly maintain the vehicle, the plenum drains can clog. That often results in water getting into a few control units. To anyone I've heard with electronic issues and I've asked "did you clean the plenum drains?" they respond with something like "The what? Would they do that at Jiffy Lube?"

Newer models don't have this problem as much as older ones do.

The second reason is an issue which exists in many makes and models. Some electronics are under the front passenger or rear foot wells. Meaning, if you drop a bunch of snow in, spill a big gulp, let some clueless "detailer" shampoo the carpet improperly... those electronics will get wet.

Personally, I'd pick a VW over a Subaru, Honda or Toyota. The cheap VW seats are more comfortable than the highest end available from Subaru. There's so many little things that VW has figured out that for some reason those other three don't do. One of the last times I was looking at a car I sat in the highest end Civic they had and the seats were horrible.

For the most part, and depending on the model, VWs will handle and drive much better than the other three. For buying a used one, I wouldn't go older than 2010 and I wouldn't buy one without service records. One of the most common engines they use is a 2.0T, which from late 2009 on is pretty bullet proof. That said, depending on the oil used (eg if they took it to jiffy lube and got crappy oil), how often they checked it and how often they changed it, that motor might be lucky to get to 100k, or go past 200k with ease.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: mstudio
Date: March 04, 2017 09:06PM
hal

I have owned mostly VWs in my driving career (bought my first car in 1968). I might be that hippie dude you are talking about sine I've owned a few Westies. Having said that, I really don't know why VWs get such a bad rap. One of the largest automakers in the world, been around forever. I drive a 2002 VW Eurovan that has over 270K miles on it and I've only had to do normal maintenance, brakes, battery, tires, oil changes...Just had to have the alternator replaced for the first time. It cost me just under 200 bucks. Starter last year (replaced original), another 200 bucks. It still runs and handles as new, no rattles, no nuttin'.

I also own a Forester with half of the mileage and although I like it just fine, it's like driving around in a tin can compared to my older Eurovan.

I'll take a German car over a Japanese car any day of the week.

But what do I know...
Posted by: Bimwad
Date: March 04, 2017 09:42PM
If you expect the vehicle to run, and be treated like an appliance, stay away from the VW, or any European car, for that matter.

For all their considerable charms, they will not tolerate neglect or substandard maintenance, and repairs can get expensive.

Even if carefully maintained, the highly touted German engineers have their bad days, can get too indulgent, or simply have brain fades in some their designs.

V.AG doesn't treat VWoA well, and that's reflected in the dealer body as a whole, which is generally not well regarded.

That said, there are plenty for whom those aforementioned charms, and other intangibles are well worth the effort and cost. Just be aware of what you're getting into.
Date: March 04, 2017 09:49PM
graylocks
please consider a chevy volt

my father has one and loves it so i understand the appeal but the back seat seems kind of cramped. my standard for a "big enough" car is that i could sit comfortably in the back seat after adjusting the driver's seat so i could drive. further, i'd like a hatchback.

otherwise i agree with you and look forward to the day when i no longer visit gas stations.

---

one more thing - we don't yet have a place in madison and therefore don't know about outlet accessibility near parking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2017 10:34PM by mattkime.
Posted by: Cary
Date: March 04, 2017 09:50PM
I was looking for a car for my kids, narrowed the choices down to a Jetta, Golf/Rabbit or Mazda3. Ended up with the Jetta. It's been great.

Also had 3 Passats - never had any problems with them. Lastly, owned a VW Scirocco.

Not sure why VWs get such a bad rap. I find them to be well built, fun to drive, and reliable.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: March 04, 2017 10:00PM
Bimwad
V.AG doesn't treat VWoA well, and that's reflected in the dealer body as a whole, which is generally not well regarded.

We're getting a little off topic, and I'm not sure if there's something specific you're referring to, but for the most part V.AG lets VWoA do what it wants. The lack of selection and options is VWoA's choosing, not V.AG's.

Edit: Now I get why you put the dot in V.AG.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2017 10:01PM by M A V I C.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 04, 2017 10:03PM
One thing I like about the car you linked to is that it has leatherette. Don't get cloth seats in a car for Wisconsin because you and/or your wife will hate the static discharge when you slide out of your car in the dead of winter. When I was buying my new Jetta it had cloth seats and I had the dealer reupholster it with leatherette before I even picked it up.

I just posted about saying goodbye to my VW Jetta:

[forums.macresource.com]

I still have my very reliable 2004 VW Passat Diesel. I love the car and because it is a wagon and has a trailer hitch, it is very versatile. KBB private party is still $4,000. I could probably get $5,000 if my Jetta was any indication.

I do my own routine maintenance like oil changes and brakes. Any other needed service and it goes into the dealer. Mine have been pretty reliable although the 100k timing belt change sucks. Still, they go and go.

Having said that, I suggest you take graylocks' advice:

graylocks
please consider a chevy volt. i love the 2013 i picked up last november. assuming you'll be living some where you can charge it it's a great vehicles. EV range is 40+ miles depending upon the year and the extended gas range is 40 mpg. truly the best of both worlds. northern drivers report it handles beautifully in the snow.

We have a 2013 Volt. It is our daily driver. It is the nicest all-around car I have owned including a few Caddies and Mercedes back in the day. The drive system is warranted for 100k miles. It handles great, with plenty of go in Sport mode. I used to say once you go Diesel you never go back. Well, once you go electric you never go back. Get the highest of the four trim levels.

Buy in Wisconsin and save money including less sales tax.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 04, 2017 11:05PM
More important question. What kind of crappy dealer can't get test drives when a customer comes in? That is just stupid behavior. Never going to sell a car that way. I'd find different dealers for those brands. I've never been to a dealer that won't give test drives.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Mr645
Date: March 05, 2017 12:12AM
I love driving German cars, but I'll never own 1 that's not under warranty.
Posted by: rob banzai
Date: March 05, 2017 04:07AM
Driving a 2016 Golf right now and it's great. It replaced the 2003 Jetta I drove for 13 years with few problems. VWs haven't been generally troublesome since the early 2000s but people love repeating old information that makes them feel smart.

I'll see you again... when we are both like golden clouds on the wind.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: March 05, 2017 04:55AM
C(-)ris
More important question. What kind of crappy dealer can't get test drives when a customer comes in? That is just stupid behavior. Never going to sell a car that way. I'd find different dealers for those brands. I've never been to a dealer that won't give test drives.

Likely you have never bought a car in NYC. My guess, probably NYC is not a place to test drive any vehicle. Perhaps the dealer has one of its drivers take you to a quiet part of the city where you can get behind the wheel and these dealers did not have anyone available.

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 05, 2017 07:48AM
Speedy,

I wouldn't test drive a vehicle in Manhattan itself. Queens and nearby Long Island, sure. Never an issue getting test drives. Once I've own to a specific vehicle, I'd definitely visit a Manhattan dealership if they had it for the right price. But, for the test drive, not a chance.

That said, once I've narrowed my choices down to a few specific vehicles, I'd visit a car rental place and rent each one for a few days. That way, I could get a real world experience driving each one. It's how I knew the RAV4 wasn't the right vehicle for me. Great car except for one compelling issue. It was too noisy. That was enough for me to take the Mazda CX-7 over it. The RAV4 was a perfect vehicle otherwise.

Robert
Posted by: max
Date: March 05, 2017 05:15PM
Robert M
Speedy,

I wouldn't test drive a vehicle in Manhattan itself. Queens and nearby Long Island, sure.... if they had it for the right price. But, for the test drive, not a chance.

I always found the potholed streets of Manhattan abd the real life traffic rallyin to be the perfect test drive circuit for trying out a car.....
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: March 05, 2017 09:00PM
Don't buy a new or used VW.

Lease it - VW often has attractive lease offers.

And you're turning it back in before the warranty runs out...
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: March 06, 2017 08:33PM
Nothing wrong with the recent VW's. I wouldn't buy anything older than 2013 though.

And buy your car at your new place, you will pay less for it as well as less on sales tax etc and won't have to hassle with getting the license changed when you get there so one less trip to the DMV!

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 306
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015