advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $151.89 ( -1.50 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
rental car discounts / real world experiences (part of the 'how do i leave nyc?' series)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 07, 2017 07:33AM
After initial sticker shock over a longer car rental ($1k/month) last night i called hertz and they reduced it to ~$549 for a compact car. thats nothing to sneeze at but is likely worth it to have some time and flexibility to figure out what we want.

as best I can tell, the way to find a good deal on a rental car is to

a) use aggregator site like kayak
b) go directly to the rental company sites
c) scrounge up discounts like aaa
d) all combinations of the above.

which sounds exhausting.

Milwaukee is coming up a heck of a lot cheaper than chicago. Taxes?

Would it be worth getting a AAA membership for a rental car discount?

Any recent real world experiences that might help me along?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: rental car discounts / real world experiences (part of the 'how do i leave nyc?' series)
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: March 07, 2017 08:13AM
If you are any airline clubs (AAdvantage for instance), check those rates.

Look for discount codes at sites like [www.rentalcarmomma.com]

Finally, and this one is odd -- check on the cost of a small moving van from Penske. They have nice trucks, no mileage charge, initial charge is for three days. So you can move some stuff with you, and then just get a local rental in Wisconsin (Enterprise is great for that - see below).

As for Enterprise - it's rates are completely negotiable. The agency site manager can make it just about anything that person wants. They only do local rental (pu/drop at same location), so are not good for a move.

“No persons are more frequently wrong, than those who will not admit they are wrong.”
-- François de La Rochefoucauld
Re: rental car discounts / real world experiences (part of the 'how do i leave nyc?' series)
Posted by: mattkime
Date: March 07, 2017 08:39AM
just to be clear, i'm looking for a local rental while i'm in madison, wi. we're hiring movers.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 07, 2017 08:57AM
also check Enterprise. a lot of their business is longer rentals for people with cars in for repairs so their rates might be better. and do negotiate. are you checking in town locations? some airports add on fees to rentals that are passed on to the customer.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: numbered
Date: March 07, 2017 09:08AM
The various discounts are not likely to get much below the $500 from Hertz. Getting under $20 a day is not bad. Some thoughts:

--I have sometimes had great luck with Costco Travel (but sometimes it is no cheaper) for longer trips. They will stack various discounts to bring the price down. It is worth checking.

--Don't rent at airports. Often the airport taxes are significantly higher than renting at "downtown" offices

--I don't think the AAA discount is that significant

--You might try local companies (eg, Rent a Wreck) and local car dealers.

But as you say, it can turn into a large effort to save a few bucks....
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: March 07, 2017 09:19AM
Chicago is going to be way more expensive than Madison. Also, Airport locations are always more expensive because of taxes and fees. I've found Enterprise is always cheaper for me in La Crosse. But I've never called to negotiate. I usually just book for weekends and those are dirt cheap anyway. Don't forget that if you don't have auto insurance you will need to purchase their insurance, so factor that into the price as well.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 07, 2017 09:26AM
Matt,

I can't offer you tips on savings bucks on the car rental but do have a suggestion that relates to it. Don't necessarily rent the same car for the entire time. Since you're in the market for a car, this would be a great opportunity to check out some specific models and get a real world feel for them. A short test drive via a dealer or private party cannot compete on any level with spending a day or three with a vehicle performing your normal day-to-day tasks. That includes running errands, taking your toddler in and out of the car seat. Throwing a stroller in and out of the trunk. You name it.

At some point I'm going to have to replace my wife's '07 Yaris or my '09 CX-7. After narrowing it down to a few specific vehicles, I'm going to rent each one for at least 2 or 3 days and give it a workout. It's the only way to really get a feel for a car. This assumes a member of my family doesn't already own one that I can borrow. Otherwise, a rental is definitely the way to go and a worthwhile expense.

Robert
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: March 07, 2017 10:44AM
The rental companies give out "free day" coupons for various reasons. You can buy them at a discount on eBay. Sometimes these are much better deals than anything else, depending on the market. Here's a search:

[www.ebay.com]
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: March 07, 2017 10:59AM
Don't forget, the proper combination of credit cards and personal car insurance allows you to decline all of their insurance options.

$16 per day was a great deal ten years ago (Enterprise urban location, closed on the weekend). The only way to really cut down a monthly rental rate is to return it instead of parking it at the relatives house. After you rent the first time, it gets a lot faster to go through the contract. Even if they quote you a fabulous rate like "$18/day," expect taxes and various fees will add a few $ per day and add $50-$100 to a monthly rental.

In tha 360. MRF User Map

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2017 12:09PM by Filliam H. Muffman.
Posted by: beagledave
Date: March 07, 2017 02:35PM
I used AutoSlash last year with good results

[www.autoslash.com]
Posted by: graylocks
Date: March 07, 2017 02:56PM
beagledave
I used AutoSlash last year with good results

[www.autoslash.com]

i was just listening to a Clark Howard Show podcast and he recommended them.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: digby
Date: March 07, 2017 03:34PM
Watch out, the car rental company may not tell you about airport fees. Our church rented vans at the Madison airport (for a New Orleans trip, post-Katrina trip), only to have $100+ tacked on: "You should have picked these up at our other locations to save the Airport Surcharge." "Well, there was no mention of the Airport Surcharge online OR by you when we booked these." Sigh... got the fees cut in half, but still...
Posted by: richorlin
Date: March 08, 2017 08:43PM
I've usually had good luck with Costco. Only once did I find a cheaper price with Budget.

richorlin

[DrawingMyLife.com]
Posted by: Onamuji
Date: March 08, 2017 08:59PM
mattkime
After initial sticker shock over a longer car rental ($1k/month) last night i called hertz and they reduced it to ~$549 for a compact car. thats nothing to sneeze at but is likely worth it to have some time and flexibility to figure out what we want.

Hertz has a long-term rental department for 1-2 month rentals.

Did you speak to one of those reps or just a regular agent?

Budget, Dollar and Enterprise also do long-term rentals. In my experience, Enterprise has the best discounts on >1 month rentals and they also do free drop-offs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 270
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015